Burnout 101

[iSEPIC]

Damn Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Not that I want to do it all the time, maybe once or twice.. but how do you do those cool smoky burnouts like they did for the 03' and you see all the time in the promotional material (catalogs).

I mean, in the pic, the brake lights were on, so do you hold the brake and accelerator down while letting out the clutch at the same time? (so you don't move---and just spin out) and how do they get the bellows of white smoke? When I tried it, I just got a few puffs... do they use bleach or something?

And how is it you see all these cool pics of the Cobra's and Lightenings burning out with massive amounts of smoke, but if they find evidence of this, they don't honor the warranty? Sounds like bait and switch to me... :nono:
-------------------------------

2001 Performance Red
FRPP 4.10's
FRPP FR500 Exhaust w/Bassani Cats
K&N Air Filter
Full Grigg's GR-40 Suspension w/ Coil-Overs
18X9.5 Cobra R Rims w/ 275's Front, 295's Rear

Last edited:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by [iSEPIC]
I mean, in the pic, the brake lights were on, so do you hold the brake and accelerator down while letting out the clutch at the same time? (so you don't move---and just spin out) and how do they get the bellows of white smoke? When I tried it, I just got a few puffs...
"Heel and toeing" is the art of keeping the heel of the right foot on the brake, while operating the accelerator with the tip of the right foot. Water helps :-D

[iSEPIC]

Damn Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Hey Thanks Blue98Cobra, but I'm still confused.. if You apply the brake, how do you spin the tires in the rear? Or do you just burn up your brake pads?

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Front wheel drive is easy, the handbrake only locks the rear, while the front spins freely.

As you noted in the Sonic Blue Burnout, the brake lights are on and, in addition, the front wheels are not turning. I don't know how much friction the rears are applying, but I'd imagine it doesn't promote the life of the pads :-D.

[iSEPIC]

Damn Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Heh, cool.. thanks..
I don't think I need to do it THAT much.. :)

but thanks...

I guess I'll just try it with the brakes and gas at the same time... seems "abusive" though... since I'm going to install new pads soon anyways---maybe I'll try it before that....

Users who are viewing this thread