Burning Oil

dowchr

Established Member
I know I'm asking for trouble by putting this on here but I have to ask.

I have a 97 Cobra with a Vortech V1, 42lb injectors and exhaust. The heads and bottom end are all stock and the car has 30,000 miles on it. The blower is making 10lbs of boost.

Here is the issue, the car is buring oil. I have had it on the dyno and it made 425 rwhp so I don't believe is to the rings on the cylinders. The car runs strong and pulls hard.

I don't get a lot of smoke when I am accelerating but when I let off the gas there is a significant amount of blue smoke.

My feelings are the the valve seals on the heads are going bad. More specifically on the exhaust side of the heads.

What are other people seeing on simlar set ups? I am being told that this is typical of a supercharged car. Is that true?

How harmful is this to the bottom end?

Any advise you folks can provide is appreciated

D's01Snake

Motor City Muscle
Established Member
Well, here is my take on things. I think your motor is having issues if it’s smoking out of the tailpipes. More specifically under acceleration, is what would concern me. Although the car may run strong and pull ok, you still could have issues going on there. Cracked ring lands would be my initial guess may. And let me clarify that these are all guesses. To put things into perspective, I had a motor in my car that made 480 RWHP on 8 damaged pistons (yes this was an eaton car), terrible tune prior to getting the car retuned was the culprit on that one. Bottom line. Anytime you are burning oil in the combustion chamber, it’s bad. It lowers the octane and is more prone to pre-ignition (detonation), and as we all know that is what will kill a bottom end. There also may be some bad valve guide seals in play here that would account for the blue smoke on the deceleration as well. Some tell tales are blue smoke at startup, and on when you let the motor whine down. I would start buy measuring cylinder pressures then maybe a leakdown test. That should help you get a good idea on where your motors at.

Users who are viewing this thread