Burning oil?

03dsgdreams

Established Member
So i have about 7000 miles on my car now. I changed the factory oil out at 3800 miles and within that first 3800 miles i added a quart of oil, it was at about 2500 when i first checked it and it was a quart down so i put a quart of motorcraft 5w20 blend in it and a little over a thousand miles later i did the first oil change. I went with amsoil signature series 0w30 per unleashed beasts recommendation. I checked the oil level today for the first time since i changed it so its been around 3000 miles and it was a quart down again. I don't have any oil leaks, could my engine be burning oil? It has to be going some were.. I was about to order a Steeda cold air intake and 93 octane tune but should i wait and take it in to the dealer first or should i not be worried?
:shrug:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The dealer will tell you that 1 quart per 1,000 miles is acceptable, so that may not get you anywhere.

It's either getting around the piston rings, or sucked into the PCV system. The Coyote is known to be an oil eater.

Amsoil AZO 0W-30 has less than 9% NOACK Volatility, so I doubt you are having massive PCV consumption issues. I'd guess consumption around the piston rings.

Do you have a catch can? I recommend Bob's Auto Sports can.

Last edited:

Swetrid

Established Member
Normal, Ford has bulletin for increased oil consumption for first 10k miles. Even with that rate of consumption it will be normal oil usage. Mine used about a 1 quart every 1500 miles since new and has be decreasing since.

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
Normal, Ford has bulletin for increased oil consumption for first 10k miles. Even with that rate of consumption it will be normal oil usage. Mine used about a 1 quart every 1500 miles since new and has be decreasing since.

Dang, that sounds like a lot to me...

Swetrid

Established Member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ford has message about excessive oil consumption for the first 10k miles.

Ford just released a Special Service message about oil usage for the 2012 5.0L with manual transmission.
BROADCAST MESSAGES
03-DECEMBER-2011
10:33:49
FCXWS447
*BROADCAST MESSAGE

9998 - COPYRIGHT 2010 FORD MOTOR COMPANY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

4053 - 2012 MUSTANG - LOW OIL DETECTION ADDED
2012 MUSTANG EQUIPPED WITH THE 5.0L ENGINE AND MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS BUILT ON OR AFTER 11/06/11 HAVE A REVISED STRATEGY FOR THE OIL LIFE MONITOR. THE REVISED STRATEGY WILL SET A "ENGINE OIL CHANGE SOON" MESSAGE IN THE MESSAGE CENTER IF THE ENGINE OIL LEVEL IS APPROXIMATELY 2.5 QUARTS (2.3 LITERS) LOW REGARDLESS OF VEHICLEMILEAGE. IF THIS CONDITION IS ENCOUNTERED, THE ENGINE OIL AND FILTER SHOULD BE CHANGED PER NORMAL MAINTENANCE PROCEDURES AND THE OIL LIFE MONITOR SHOULD BE RESET. VEHICLES WITH LESS THAN 10000 MILES (16000 KM) MAY EXPERIENCE A GREATER AMOUNT OF OIL CONSUMPTION. REFER TO THE 2012 MUSTANG WORKSHOP MANUAL SECTION 03, DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING, EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Glad I ran into this thread. I had my oil changed about 1500 miles ago, and my oil level is just above the first circle. Quick question, how much oil am I missing? Oh the car has 9111 miles as of today.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Low tension, low drag rings. The OEs are going for maximum fuel economy and many cars made in the last 10 years are experiencing higher than what we used to consider normal oil consumption.

I bought used 2004 SVT Focus with 127,000 miles on it last fall, changed the oil about 10,000 miles ago and it has only used about 1/2 a quart.

Do a google search on excessive oil consumption and look at all the new cars that are also having this problem.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
My CTS-V would burn 3/4 quart of Mobile 1 syn in 5k, 1/2 quart Penz Ultra, I switched to G-Oil and it burns 0. These are not easy miles by any stretch, all 5w30. Other people on Bob is the Oil Guy have had the same experience. Maybe give it a try for the hell of it, it's practically free with the rebates they run.

Lemmy

Established Member
So i have about 7000 miles on my car now. I changed the factory oil out at 3800 miles and within that first 3800 miles i added a quart of oil, it was at about 2500 when i first checked it and it was a quart down so i put a quart of motorcraft 5w20 blend in it and a little over a thousand miles later i did the first oil change. I went with amsoil signature series 0w30 per unleashed beasts recommendation. I checked the oil level today for the first time since i changed it so its been around 3000 miles and it was a quart down again. I don't have any oil leaks, could my engine be burning oil? It has to be going some were.. I was about to order a Steeda cold air intake and 93 octane tune but should i wait and take it in to the dealer first or should i not be worried?
:shrug:

I had the same situation with my 2011GT. Exactly the same. Stripper ex-gf totaled it, so now i have a 2010 Shelby GT500. It hasn't burned a drop of oil and the 5W-50 full synthetic still looks like honey. Huge difference from the GT. At a minimum, I would consider synthetic for the GT. Conventional 5W-20 will not hold up 10K miles not sure what they are trying with this.

Users who are viewing this thread