Burning Oil?!?!?

blk96SVT

Established Member
I just had my oil changed yesterday and I put in about 6 and a half qts. I know the manuel says it takes 6, but if wasnt up to the max line with only 6. Anyway, I just checked it like five minutes ago and its about a half quart low!!!! Since I work at an oil and lube I changed it myself their and I didnt notice any leaks coming from the drain plug, filter or from the pan, as a matter of fact it was damn clean under their. Another thing, about 2 weeks ago my low oil light came on. So, I pull it into one of our bays (by the way im working there cause i need a part time job, im in college still) and I pull the dipstick sure enough, its a quart low!!! WTF is going on, I hope nothing is wrong with my engine, it only has 52,000 miles on it. Like I said earlier I saw no leaks underneath the car and the car runs great. No blue or white smoke coming out the tailpipes. Thanks for any help/advice any of you can give me. :)

blk96SVT

Established Member
Thanks for the advice! That is weird that you havent heard of anyone elses Cobra doing this. Did you find out what was wrong with your car or havent you done that? Thanks for that website, I will get on that pretty soon here. Im worried about my car though. Will it hurt the engine if it continues to burn like that? I have a full drivetrain warranty through Carmx (where I purchased it) until 85,000 miles or something like 2 and a half years left on it, which is a really good thing. Hopefully its nothing serious, but I doubt it. Again thanks for the info. Later

Tim

blk96SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by Jon96cobra
I have the same problem with mine. This is the first time I heard someone else have the same problem. My friend told me about this http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ They analize a sample of your oil to tell you what is happening inside your engine.

Just sent them an email for their free sample kit. Thanks again hopefully they can help

Tim

blk96SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by 96cobraman
just wanted you guys to know that i also have the same prob. with 60k on the motor

Do you have any idea what it could be? What are you doing right now about it? Do you just make sure the oil is full or what? I really dont want to have to check the damn oil level everyday, thats why I wanted a newer car so I wouldnt have to check the fluid levels everyday. If I find out anything I will let you guys know and likeways!

Tim

White98SVT

Established Member
My buddy has that problem on his 98. He's got a little over 100k miles and it burns close to 2 qt.s in between oil changes. Not sure of a solution, he's looking into a rebuild.

96mystic

Wannabe postslut
Established Member
Same problem here.. i don't beleive theirs anything wrong with the engine.. its just that cobra's burn oil.. plane and simple..

and also.. majority seems to be the 96 cobra with this problem...
interesting.. any thought on that? :shrug:

Just my .02

Last edited:

blk96SVT

Established Member
Thanks guys for all of your responses!! I kind of feel better about the low oil, but at the same time Im still disappointed that the car that I have dreamed about (besides the Ferraris and what not and the 03 Cobra) for the last 5 years or so, just burns oil. Oh well, guess I will just have to deal with it cause I love my damn car!!! And since I am working at an oil and lube till I get out of college probably, I can just top my oil off when it gets low.

Tim

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
my 98 has 54K on the clock now, and uses about 1/2 quart in between changes. Of course the nicer I treat it, the better it is. I think its just a fact of life. I read about oil usage and blue smoke in the New Edge Cobra forum once in a while...

max

Established Member
Two points:
1. the dohc engine's heads retain quite a bit of oil, and the dip stick level shouldn't be checked until given ample time to drain down.....I'd say at least 10-15 minutes.

2. The '96 Cobras had the idiot "low oil" light that was too sensitive.. it would come on if the car was on an incline to the rear and started. Also, if you gave the car a quick start, shut down, and then another start the light would glow. Ford did away with the light because in reality, it wasn't reading true and thus a nuisance. Personally, I don't think most of the cars in this thread are using oil and if they are, I'd be willing to say it is less than a quart per 3000 miles, which isn't too bad.
I've lost the article concerning the amount of oil to be used....the going rate is 6.5 qts with filter change. The manual will say 6 qts and add 'til the dip stick shows full.

HTH,
Max

96BlackSnake

I Am The Chosen One
Established Member
My 96 did this the first two oil changes I did to it, the first one was my switch to synthetic, I even thought I smelt a faint oil smell...but anyways, 2 hours after the switch I had driven about 10 miles when the low oil comes on....check it, it indeed was low (I originally put the 6 qts in) I go to the nearest auto store, buy 2 more just incase and it put 1 in....drive to house, wait an hour...checked it and it still was a little low so I put about 1/2 of the 2nd qrt in and since then it was fine...

2nd incident, last oil change...
Put 6qts in, but knowing what had happened checked it after 15 miles and 2 hours later....only needed about 1/2 qrt to get to a little under the max line...

just my .02

oh and I also have a 96

Last edited:

blk96SVT

Established Member
Thanks, its a pain in the a**! But its my car and I love it so, whatever it takes to make it run good and to make "it" happy!! I wish there was something that could be done about the oil situation.

Tim

96LASARREDCOBRA

Established Member
hey max and others do not add 6.5 qts i talked to the guys at svt and they said only 6 qts they said the dipsticks read wrong and ptting the extra qt in could actually damage your engine according to them they told me do an oil change add 6 qts then wait 30-45 minutes check the stick and wherever its at mark the stick and thats my full mark i hope this helps

White98SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by 96LASARREDCOBRA
hey max and others do not add 6.5 qts i talked to the guys at svt and they said only 6 qts they said the dipsticks read wrong and ptting the extra qt in could actually damage your engine according to them they told me do an oil change add 6 qts then wait 30-45 minutes check the stick and wherever its at mark the stick and thats my full mark i hope this helps

I take it that goes for 98's too?

I usually put in 6 1/4 when I change mine and it's ok. Of course putting in 6 does save a little money, especially when you're spending $5.75 for Royal Purple.

blk96SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by 96LASARREDCOBRA
hey max and others do not add 6.5 qts i talked to the guys at svt and they said only 6 qts they said the dipsticks read wrong and ptting the extra qt in could actually damage your engine according to them they told me do an oil change add 6 qts then wait 30-45 minutes check the stick and wherever its at mark the stick and thats my full mark i hope this helps [/QUOTE

Hey thanks for the info! Hopefully I didnt hurt the engine to much by putting in more than 6. I think the last oil change I put in almost 6 1/2 qts.

Tim]

machtkampf

Established Member
another very important thing to know about these engines are that they WILL suck oil through the pcv tube!!! i am on my second cobra- '98 and now a '97, and both lost/lose oil. in the '98 i cut oil loss to zero!! and have cut down oil loss by about 80%+- on the '97. i took the pcv and tube off, bought a $15 k&n breather and capped off the fitting on the intake... no more smoke on the heavy downshifts and alot more oil in the pan:burnout: now another issue that arose by doing this was oil would fill the breather and drip on the headers, i cut a water bottle and epoxied it around half of the breather(be sure to seal the bottom lip well) and place the covered side down toward the manifolds... hope this helps someone out!!

Users who are viewing this thread