Burning Oil?

jdowd

Insert Comment Here
Established Member
Im kinda clueless with whats going on. I just changed my oil about 750 miles ago. The oil light keeps coming on. I check the dip stick, its low. I put a little in just to get the level back up. Comes on a couple days later. Check it. Its low again. Put more oil in it. Same thing a couple days later. I put my car on some stands and try to look around for some leaks. Its spotless underneath. No signs of a oil leak what so ever. This has been going on for about a month now. The car has a little over 120k on the clock and was bought brand new by my dad. Up until now the car has been perfect without no problems what so ever. Thanks for any help provided.

03Ford46

Established Member
Have you pulled one of the plugs yet to take a look to see if your burning oil? Are your valve covers, front or rear main seals, or timing cover leaking? If not it could be bad rings, valve seals or a few things. We're going to need more information in order to help out and your going to have to check the motor over. If there are no signs of a leak under the car then definately pull a spark plug and take a look to see if its burning oil, see if a friend has a compression testing set and then the next guess after that would be the valve seals are just finally worn out.

Matt94GT

Established Member
Try going up a continus hill and give it some good gas, mabye in 2nd or 3rd. Does it smoke?

Does it smoke at startup?

Try going down a long steep hill and try to use mostly only use engine brakes put it in 2nd and let it go to about 3500rpm as long as you can WITHOUT touching the gas. When you get to the bottom of the hill juice it. Look for smoke.

that will help us solve the problem easier it could be 100x things this will shorten it down a lot!

jzepp

Established Member
wow.........ok i have 70,000 miles on my cobra.........i bought it used with 62,000 miles on............this is my second oil change and i am putting 1.5 quarts of oil in it every 3000 miles. It does not leak on the ground anywhere and smokes on startup once every month or month and a half at startup.........i pulled all sparkplugs and there is not oil on them........what could this be? According to 4 dealerships they told me that Ford says it is within spec to consume 1 quart every 900 miles.........has anybody heard this? Should i do any tests just in case?

Got Boost?

Established Member
jzepp said:
wow.........ok i have 70,000 miles on my cobra.........i bought it used with 62,000 miles on............this is my second oil change and i am putting 1.5 quarts of oil in it every 3000 miles. It does not leak on the ground anywhere and smokes on startup once every month or month and a half at startup.........i pulled all sparkplugs and there is not oil on them........what could this be? According to 4 dealerships they told me that Ford says it is within spec to consume 1 quart every 900 miles.........has anybody heard this? Should i do any tests just in case?

i heard the same thing, when i changed my 99's oil the first time i bought it, it was 2 quarts low, surprised me so now i pay alot of attention to it.

levs302

Established Member
Matt94GT said:
Try going up a continus hill and give it some good gas, mabye in 2nd or 3rd. Does it smoke?

Does it smoke at startup?

Try going down a long steep hill and try to use mostly only use engine brakes put it in 2nd and let it go to about 3500rpm as long as you can WITHOUT touching the gas. When you get to the bottom of the hill juice it. Look for smoke.

that will help us solve the problem easier it could be 100x things this will shorten it down a lot!
i dont mean to hyjack this thread, but i am having an almost identical problem as teh origional poster. to answer the ?'s in the quote, my car does not visibly smoke on startup, however i can easily smell the oil if i stand behind my car at idle. and the car does smoke under the other two scenerios. you mentioned this will shorten down the list of potential problems, what are the most likely candidates?

thanks

blwn03sonic

venomous motorsports
Established Member
my car does it too. i do get some smoke when i punch it off the line. heads or rings.

levs302

Established Member
how difficult is changing the rings? and while the motor is open, are there any other potential problem spots i should be checking for wear/damage?

crouton

Crunchy Cube
Established Member
PCV

Get an oil separator. Or just keep fillin 'er up. She's gettin oil so no worries there haha.

Users who are viewing this thread