burned ALOT of white smoke today?

c0dy

I...Need...Speed
Established Member
i was on the highway, when coming out of second (its an auto) it hesitated then shot out a huuggeee cloud of white smoke. I babied it to auto zone. Checked my oil, it was a little low. I added oil. Couldnt remember if oil was white or blue. it stops burning white so i go to subway (its on the way home). I leave subway and it shoots out even more white smoke than before! a big sorry to the people behind me :( i get to my street and it stops. I stay in my driveway and let it idle a bit, and it doesnt smoke at all.. wtf? Is this coolant? a bad gasket? Any help is greatly appreciated =\

c0dy

I...Need...Speed
Established Member
thanks, you said levels... not trying to be sticklar but should i be looking anywhere other than the resevoir? *sorry cant spell that word*

slick4_6

Established Member
Check the radiator. It should have a cap on it but dont open it if its hot. Some of the newer cars do not have ways to check the radiator but the probability is that you can check yours.

DO NOT TAKE THE CAP OFF THE RADIATOR IF THE CAR IS STILL HOT. IT WILL STEAM OUT AND SCALD YOU.

Last edited:

c0dy

I...Need...Speed
Established Member
i know the smell of antifreeze, my sisters heater core went one day when i was driving it. Ill see if thats what it is... I appreciate this guys. brb (my aim name is oc0dyc in case anyone wants to help out on there :D)

c0dy

I...Need...Speed
Established Member
my resevoir is filled to the full line, and when i take the cap off the radiator the fluid is as high as where the plug on the cap would be.. so its full... maybe i didnt burn eough to notice? it sure was alot of smoke though =\ ugh

dorky LS1 chick

still lurking...
Established Member
depends on where youre burning oil from depends on the color smoke, I think...

if some drips on your exhaust manifold (while your changing oil or modding the car..etc..) and gets burned off the smoke is white..

if your burning it internally..it's black..

right?? :??:

c0dy

I...Need...Speed
Established Member
so if it was the head gasket, it could be only some of the time? im just asking because if i go out and buy a head gasket its gonna take a hit to my wallet because iim saving for moving cross country... and this is supposed to be my transportation :(

99GTvert

Established Member
99% sure it would be the head gasket. Happened to my old thunderbird. The white smoke is the steam from water getting into the cylinders. And there is a lot! I know what you're saying. If it is on on off it might be because you burnt up all of your coolant. The headgaskets are not that much money but if you pay someone to change them it will be a lot. Not sure exactly how much I did it myself and it only took like a week working on it after school. Just to make sure it is the coolant put your hand by the exhaust pipe and if it feels really wet it is probably the head gasket.

c0dy

I...Need...Speed
Established Member
it looks blueish white.. not hugely but there is a blue tint to it. My friend came over that had blown his head gasket and said that it didnt smell the same or look the same. My engine is running fine not misfiring or anything it just smokes and only when i get on it (or have to accelerate at all)

c0dy

I...Need...Speed
Established Member
kinda like that but instead of a cobra its a corolla, and instead of burned rubber its oil.

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
Originally posted by sohowcome
Maybe one of the oil covered hamsters in your engine caught on fire....

You're forgetting one thing... that was before the age of the hamster. In 1996 they were still installing those inferior mouse motors. But the same general train of thought applies, to which I must say I'd have to agree with.

Have you been feeding it the recommended pellets? I'd suggest a few pieces of carrot to give it a bit of octane boost.

Last edited:

c0dy

I...Need...Speed
Established Member
If only it was as simple as swapping out a mouse. Does it sound like a seal gone though? any ideas what else it would be? I appreciate the humor but real answers would help out alot more :(

99GTvert

Established Member
I would still say headgasket maybe because mine only did it when I accelerated too. But it does have a distinct smell to it kind of so if your friend said it wasnt then I don't know what it could be. Maybe try one of those coolant sealant additives and see if that does anything.

c0dy

I...Need...Speed
Established Member
soo... its a cross country trip later. Turned out it was the valve cover gasket.... *wierd look* . Oil was coming out onto the exhaust in the back and was getting burned off externally... huh.

Users who are viewing this thread