bullet on a train

SteveChris

Established Member
i feel like starting a 50 page argument like the plane on a conveyor.
this one is well known..but i'll take a shot.
if you have a train that goes 1000mph and you also have a gun which shoots a bullet at 1000mph if you go to the back of the train while it is moving at 1000mph and you shoot the gun from the back, away from the train.
what happens:
a. what do i see on the train
b. what would i see on the ground

its all about relativity, and no arguments on wind resistance, different gun powder types, friction. the train goes 1000mph..it just does. i dont care if your fat uncle harold is on board, 1000mph. and the gun shoots 1000mph
what happens?

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
If it's an AK it will probably hit the wall 3 feet to your right.

If it's an AR it will find the nearest terrorist and kill it.

If it's a revolver it will take out the nearest cowboy in a black hat.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
as long as the train is not accelerating (constant velocity), the bullet will travel to the front of the train at 1000mph when fired.

BTW, I'm a mechanical engineer :read:

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Once the train is done accelerating, and is simply cruising the 1000 MPH, the bullet will shoot forward normal. The reason for this is the same reason a fly in a car travelling 100 MPH can fly around. It's not travelling 100 MPH itself, but travelling its normal speed in a static environment that happens to be travelling 100 MPH. If you open a window, it won't be able to fly around 'normal' anymore, as the environment is no longer static.

SteveChris

Established Member
mc01svt said:
as long as the train is not accelerating (constant velocity), the bullet will travel to the front of the train at 1000mph when fired.

BTW, I'm a mechanical engineer :read:
remind me not to buy anything you made, youre gun shot the bullet backwards. lol
some people got confused with my wording. you shoot the gun "away" from the train. go to the back point the gun down the tracks away from the train and shoot. but the way you said is right, itl go to the front

jmk97GT

Established Member
a) the bullet travels 2000mph away from you
b) bullet traveling normal speed of 1000mph

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
jmk97GT said:
a) the bullet travels 2000mph away from you
b) bullet traveling normal speed of 1000mph

+1

2000mph away relative to the train. 1000mph to anyone stationary outside the train.

SteveChris

Established Member
no if youre on the train the bullet will always go 1000mph away from you, so shoot it forward and it goes 1000mph to you, but to someone on the ground it travels at 2000mph. shoot from the back like in the question and it goes 1000mph away from you on the train but to the ground it will just float in the air and drop, 1000mph forward motion - 1000mph backward motion
like a car, eliminate wind resistance and if i am going 50mph and throw a bowling ball at you at 5 mph and youre on the sidewalk it wil hit you at 55mph cause it was already moving 50, same goes the other way

ThinkTwice

Slow 2V
Established Member
SteveChris said:
no if youre on the train the bullet will always go 1000mph away from you, so shoot it forward and it goes 1000mph to you, but to someone on the ground it travels at 2000mph. shoot from the back like in the question and it goes 1000mph away from you on the train but to the ground it will just float in the air and drop, 1000mph forward motion - 1000mph backward motion
like a car, eliminate wind resistance and if i am going 50mph and throw a bowling ball at you at 5 mph and youre on the sidewalk it wil hit you at 55mph cause it was already moving 50, same goes the other way

We have a winner! :banana:

sonblue03

"non SVT owning loser"
Established Member
ford_racer said:
If it's an AK it will probably hit the wall 3 feet to your right.

If it's an AR it will find the nearest terrorist and kill it.

If it's a revolver it will take out the nearest cowboy in a black hat.

Don't you mean if the AK doesn't jam?

Nasty Notch

Resident Dissident
Established Member
So what would happen if you were at the front of the train and fired the gun? Thats the version of the question I've always heard...

ParamedicMXr

Established Member
SteveChris said:

thats exactly what i said.:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread