Built Motor

Fuzion

Established Member
I need a place to take my truck. For a BUILT motor. I blew the motor last year (2005) It involved shattering TWO rods and cracking 4. Plus probably a hole in the bloc, i don't exactly know.

Well this past Friday (the 22) at about 90mph off the boost, i looked in the rear view mirror and all i saw was SMOKE! Stopped the truck and the whole under carriage was covered in oil, and it was still draining oil.

Motor #1 blew up... 12/12/05
Motor #2 blew up... 12/22/06

So.... i need a place to tear it down and inspect the damage and then decide if we can just build up the stock block and heads, or if i have to get a built short/long block.

Any ideas? I live in Rockwall, TX.... East of Dallas.

MTI LS1

HPP Racing in Lewisville.

My old 03 Cobra plus HPP built motor, stock cams, heads, w/ LT's and 21# made 630's to the wheels.

Edit, Phone Number: 972-395-9844

Last edited by a moderator:

Fuzion

Established Member
They are who tuned my truck... they are just packed full of cars right now. Plus seem a lil expensive. Guess I'm headed there!

MTI LS1

Fuzion said:
Don't understand either of the last 2 posts.

You'll see as more people post. We cannot have a normal thread in here anymore b/c of dumb ****s like .................................

dan03mach

BUSTN YO A$$
Established Member
Fuzion said:
They are who tuned my truck... they are just packed full of cars right now. Plus seem a lil expensive. Guess I'm headed there!
Take to Travis Franklin at Gear Heads Performance.. He builds all of his motors in house and doesn't take for ever about building them.. He actually builds his motors, he doesn't contract them out to someone else to build.. His prices are some of the best around and does awesome work..

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Fuzion said:

If your motor only lasted 10 days, and they're the ones who tuned your truck, why would you go back to them?

If you want a great place to build a motor, and get it tuned by one of the best there is, I suggest you take a trip down I45 South.

snakebitten1975

Turbo'd Vert
Established Member
dan03mach said:
Take to Travis Franklin at Gear Heads Performance.. He builds all of his motors in house and doesn't take for ever about building them.. He actually builds his motors, he doesn't contract them out to someone else to build.. His prices are some of the best around and does awesome work..

HPP doesnt do the machine work, but they do assemble all their motors, and thats where I'm getting mine built. Ive seen bunches of motors being built there, and they are not coming back blown up. I know Foof's smokes, but it runs great.

I kinda wanted to see what gear heads motor would do when dan got his. But it only lasted a week or so, i just want what works. I'm not bashing but hpp has built 10 x the modmotors they have.

Don't everyone kill me just my .02. I don't want to start anything just giving my side.

dan03mach

BUSTN YO A$$
Established Member
snakebitten1975 said:
HPP doesnt do the machine work, but they do assemble all their motors, and thats where I'm getting mine built. Ive seen bunches of motors being built there, and they are not coming back blown up. I know Foof's smokes, but it runs great.

I kinda wanted to see what gear heads motor would do when dan got his. But it only lasted a week or so, i just want what works. I'm not bashing but hpp has built 10 x the modmotors they have.

Don't everyone kill me just my .02. I don't want to start anything just giving my side.
My motor lifted 2 piston ring lands because I spray a 250 shot of n20 on it that my fuel system couldn't keep up with.. It went lean and that is what happend.. There is nothing they did that was messed up and the only thing I really needed to do to fix it was put to new pistons in and a set of rings.. Since when did HPP start building there motors??? Houston Performance has always built their motors.. They haven't built 10x the mod motors then anyone.. BTW Travis @ GearHeads know 10x more then all the people put together at HPP.. Thats why he fixes their **** ups.. You should see the pics I have of some of the stuff that left from over at HPP that GH's fixed.. Some people over there aren't doing a very good job, and are being lazy and careless..

Last edited:

snakebitten1975

Turbo'd Vert
Established Member
dan03mach said:
My motor lifted 2 piston ring lands because I spray a 250 shot of n20 on it that my fuel system couldn't keep up with.. It went lean and that is what happend.. There is nothing they did that was messed up and the only thing I really needed to do to fix it was put to new pistons in and a set of rings.. Since when did HPP start building there motors??? Houston Performance has always built their motors.. They haven't built 10x the mod motors then anyone.. BTW Travis @ GearHeads know 10x more then all the people put together at HPP.. Thats why he fixes their **** ups.. You should see the pics I have of some of the stuff that left from over at HPP that GH's fixed.. Some people over there aren't doing a very good job, and are being lazy and careless..

Excuses.

dan03mach

BUSTN YO A$$
Established Member
snakebitten1975 said:
What excuses.. I know why my shit messed up.. My fuel system wasn't set up to handle that much hp and it went lean and lifted the ring lands on 2 pistons, but it still ran and drove. I was driving it around for over a month after that happend.. So is that the only thing you could come back with.. I guess so since it is hard to fight the truth. Now when Houston Performance was building HPP's motors they were very good.. But if what you say is true and they are building their own motors now, I don't know about all of that.. Who over there is building their motors??? How long has he been doing it for?? My new motor will be finished soon, the new pistons are been coated right now with a ceramic coating so it will handle the extra heat from N20 better.. You want a rematch when I get it finished?? The last race we had was very ugly for you..

Last edited:

blk04cobra1

1000rwhp coming soon
Established Member
dan03mach said:
My motor lifted 2 piston ring lands because I spray a 250 shot of n20 on it that my fuel system couldn't keep up with.. It went lean and that is what happend.. There is nothing they did that was messed up and the only thing I really needed to do to fix it was put to new pistons in and a set of rings..

I dont have a dog in the fight, but thought I would say that this post has got to be on of the most honest ive seen...someone admitting that they blew up a built motor and not blaming the shop who built it...much respect to you Dan

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
No, my car doesn't really run great. It's actually going through oil right now, I have to add some every couple weeks.

However, I still reccomend HPP given the fact that they will back up their work.

So far they have:

1. reringed my motor
2. replaced my heads
3. replaced my supercharger

Among other diagnostic procedures. They have openly admitted that a mistake has been made somewhere, and are trying to fix it. I can't fault someone who will own up to a problem and make it right. If you want a shop that will take care of you if something happens.. go with HPPRacing. Just make sure to ask Ozzie for the bubblewrap option and you'll be perfect.

BigZach, you fat sheldon haired backpeddling VAGINA! If you want to talk shit, man up and don't edit your post.

"Sorry, changed my mind. Get people that use their motors as brakes to help you."

Maybe if you went to a real engineering school and had a real engineering major, you wouldn't be such a MORON. Performance shops don't need shit talking ass monkeys like you to fling poo in every thread. Guess who was the first one to send this thread down the shitter? YOU! Talking smack, editting your post, then insulting JKD. Why don't you take that Corvette mommy and daddy are paying for (after you ate them out of house and home with that blue car), stick it up your ass sideways, and get the **** off of SVTP.

dan03mach

BUSTN YO A$$
Established Member
blk04cobra1 said:
I dont have a dog in the fight, but thought I would say that this post has got to be on of the most honest ive seen...someone admitting that they blew up a built motor and not blaming the shop who built it...much respect to you Dan
Thanks man, I will admitt when I'm wrong, and at fault.. If I thought for a sec. that it blew because of the shop that built it, I would not be having that same shop rebuild it.. They told me not to spray that much N20 on it because the fuel system wasn't up to par, but I was at a local GTG and got caught up in a race with a 650+rwhp Viper so I pilled it up to the 250 pills. Hell I didn't even know it was messed up till a few days later when I saw oil blowing out the PCV Tube.. It wasn't even making a sound.. It just lifted the ring lands enough to allow oil to blow by... It will be fixed soon and better then before.. I guess you live and learn..

Last edited:

Fuzion

Established Member
I recieved a few PMs.. thank you everyone.

Okay. It is a toss up between GearHeads and Performane Research.
PR is a shop in Duncanville http://www.performanceresearchonline.com/
He is very well known around the Lightning community for his work, and is highly recommended.

HPP knows their Cobras, but from what i hear they are slightly unknowledgeable about Harleys and Lightnings.

NaSSty Nate

Established Member
Fuzion said:
I recieved a few PMs.. thank you everyone.

Okay. It is a toss up between GearHeads and Performane Research.
PR is a shop in Duncanville http://www.performanceresearchonline.com/
He is very well known around the Lightning community for his work, and is highly recommended.

HPP knows their Cobras, but from what i hear they are slightly unknowledgeable about Harleys and Lightnings.
No offense but mod motors are mod motors...That's like saying RPM or SQR can work on ls1's but not on ls2's and ls6's...

As for who I would take my car too...wouldn't be any shop in dfw for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread