Built Motor Suggestions for 03/04 Cobra

Surubasi

Established Member
I am looking at possibly putting a build motor in my Terminator.

I need to know what suggestions you guys might have such as size and who to go to to build it.

I'd be putting a 2.8HO or one of the New 3.4l whipples on it

Price range is up to 10k

Let me know

Dave

EVILNSS

EVILNSS
Established Member
ok, your 10g is that a long block or short block????

I went with MMR. theres a ton of options out there...

Modularmustangracing.com

check them out.

If your in Virginia,
Excessive Motorsport is doing my work, give torey a call up there 703-331-1422 and tell him caniford sent you, hes a great guy, everyone up at the shop knows there stuff. they got me a killer deal from MMR.

Surubasi

Established Member
I'd be looking for a longblock

What are the advantages of a 302?
Who would you chose to port the heads? Is it actually worth it to port them?
Would you use cams?

I'm looking for the most reliable setup for a solid 600hp that can handle very reliably up to 700 for weekends.

Dave

01tahoe

Established Member
I would use cams but would not spend the money to port the heads unless you want to squeeze every last horespower out.

Fuerza

Established Member
IMO I would keep it simple. Factory Iron block or Teksid, Billet Rods, CP pistons, factory crank, stock bore and stroke size. I haven't seen much in the dept of improved power from cams, so I would leave in the stock cams. I would to a good valve job on the stock heads.

01Lowboy

SPTZCLNT
Established Member
AdrianG said:
IMO I would keep it simple. Factory Iron block or Teksid, Billet Rods, CP pistons, factory crank, stock bore and stroke size. I haven't seen much in the dept of improved power from cams, so I would leave in the stock cams. I would to a good valve job on the stock heads.

+1

blownaltered

Established Member
If you go with MMR do not use their oil pump, there is a few cars in Dallas that put their oil pumps on their cars and the oil pump came apart and boom. Everybody I know that has that oil pump has changed them because of the problem, from what I've heard a couple people lost motors.

EVILNSS

EVILNSS
Established Member
blownaltered said:
If you go with MMR do not use their oil pump, there is a few cars in Dallas that put their oil pumps on their cars and the oil pump came apart and boom. Everybody I know that has that oil pump has changed them because of the problem, from what I've heard a couple people lost motors.

I HOPE TO GOD THIS ISNT TRUE.....

Blown02

Established Member
blownaltered said:
Yup, this is what Ive heard on countless forums.. MMR denies having defective oil pumps, I think they had a bad batch..Mine is a year and a half strong, its been running with 815+rwhp..

EVILNSS

EVILNSS
Established Member
Blown02 said:
Yup, this is what Ive heard on countless forums.. MMR denies having defective oil pumps, I think they had a bad batch..Mine is a year and a half strong, its been running with 815+rwhp..

How long ago was all this information???:beer:

Surubasi

Established Member
Is a 302 just a stroked and bored version of the same motor that's in the car stock? is it a different block all together?

Is there anything you need special for a 302?

What are the advantages?
any disadvantages?

Dave

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
302 is just bored. 324" is bored and stroked but i heard that the 324 aren't worth the extra $$$.

I would def. go with a 302 to clean up the cylinder walls, CP/Diamond pistons, oliver billet rods, Ported 04' revised heads with cams and you should be good to go. All new ARP hardware of course. This is what i would do if i was building up an engine.

DHG BULLITT

Try to find Mr. Warren G
Established Member
bigdog93lx said:
302 is just bored. 324" is bored and stroked but i heard that the 324 aren't worth the extra $$$.

I would def. go with a 302 to clean up the cylinder walls, CP/Diamond pistons, oliver billet rods, Ported 04' revised heads with cams and you should be good to go. All new ARP hardware of course. This is what i would do if i was building up an engine.

False. The 302 "stroker" is bored AND stroked. There are a number of ways to do it but I think the most popular is .030 over and a 3.77 stroke.

Surubasi

Established Member
I read a lot of information on the subject...I think i'm ready to make a choice

I'm going to call VT in a month and have them build me a 302 with a teksid and cp pistons to put a whipple on top of...I'm looking at using a 17lb pulley and daily driving it...should get me some pretty good horesepower and will allow me to have a milder tune with higher horsepower over the 4.6

Should I upgrade the fuel system?

Dave

Biggieman

03-04 parts for sale
Established Member
Surubasi said:
Should I upgrade the fuel system?

Dave

yes, without a doubt. a little overkill is OK in this department IMO
you are dropping big dollars on your motor, dont skimp here.
what are your power goals? i know you said 17lbs, but how much do you want to be able to support?

Users who are viewing this thread