Built motor guys, please chime in

Shelbysteve

Established Member
Hey guys, Im new to the built motor world, not by choice. LMAO!!!!

I have a 2012 GT 500 that I just had a FRPP short block installed in. When I picked the car up, the guys stated the motor will sound different than stock, due to many reason. The biggest reason, being something about valve clearance or something like that. Ive never had a Mod car with a built motor, so just wondering if the noise at idle is normal. It sounds the same today after 1,000 mile as it did the moment I pick it up at the shop. Im like a nervous old man, as after spending the money on the motor, I know pay attention to every possible noise that may or may not be normal.

The engine noise is not anything like a knock or anything, just sounds much louder than a stock motor does.

Thanks guys.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Hey guys, Im new to the built motor world, not by choice. LMAO!!!!

I have a 2012 GT 500 that I just had a FRPP short block installed in. When I picked the car up, the guys stated the motor will sound different than stock, due to many reason. The biggest reason, being something about valve clearance or something like that. Ive never had a Mod car with a built motor, so just wondering if the noise at idle is normal. It sounds the same today after 1,000 mile as it did the moment I pick it up at the shop. Im like a nervous old man, as after spending the money on the motor, I know pay attention to every possible noise that may or may not be normal.

The engine noise is not anything like a knock or anything, just sounds much louder than a stock motor does.

Thanks guys.

Can you record it? I would figure the 5.4l FRPP would sound the same as the stock one, as I "thought" they were the same aside from being hand-built.....? A noisy motor to me = annoying. x2 on what happened to the old motor..

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Maybe your just getting old.

Eh, if he was getting old he wouldn't notice it. Beyond annoying when you have a slew o 50+ year old mechanics who can't hear engine whines\noises or gear-noises\trans, the list goes on and on. If he was old, he wouldn't be bothered by his new motors "louder" noise.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Just keep a close eye on your oil for any metal in it. That will be the first, and best, indicator of trouble.

Shelbysteve

Established Member
Same thing that seems to be happening to several pullied Shelby's. Head gaskets let go causing internal issues. Shitting thing is, it was tuned by one of the best in the Detroit area, and the tune was safe. No idea what caused it. Another member just had same thing happen, same mods as me, different tuner.

As far as the sound, it's not a certain noise, it's just louder than it was before stock. Stock, it was very quiet, from outside car, standing in front, sounded like my Escalade. The built motor just has more noise to it. Best way to describe is, no tick, no knocking, just louder, kind of like a LSX motor sounds. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

I know a few guys here, have this short block, as well as a few shops on here that sold and installed the short block, was hoping they would chime in.

Thx guys

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
A larger piston to wall clearance can make an engine noisier due to piston slap. Some heat in the pistons will make that go away. Go do a few hard pulls through the gears then pull over and see if it isn't quiet.

If there is enough lash to make a noticeable noise you'd be having some serious issues. These engines have hydraulic lash adjusters.

rdanzy

Established Member
The 2012 would have had an aluminum block from the factory. I am assuming that the FRPP short block is cast iron but I don't know if the cast iron is noisier than aluminum. You could also have piston slap as rotor_powerd noted above which should be OK if the block has forged pistons. Your installer may have indicated that there would be more noise due to piston clearance which will cause piston slap. Maybe get back with the installer and get the noise issue explained.

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
I know on my 2013, I was paranoid about the injector tick which seems normal for Trinity motors. I am not sure about the 5.4s.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
My built / sleeved / cammed motor sounds quieter than my stock motor....both are "hand built" ;-)

My ID13000's are pretty loud though..lol

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I've got a little more noise and vibration, but attribute that to the poly motor mounts I used.

MattR

Established Member
Same thing that seems to be happening to several pullied Shelby's. Head gaskets let go causing internal issues. Shitting thing is, it was tuned by one of the best in the Detroit area, and the tune was safe. No idea what caused it. Another member just had same thing happen, same mods as me, different tuner.

As far as the sound, it's not a certain noise, it's just louder than it was before stock. Stock, it was very quiet, from outside car, standing in front, sounded like my Escalade. The built motor just has more noise to it. Best way to describe is, no tick, no knocking, just louder, kind of like a LSX motor sounds. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

I know a few guys here, have this short block, as well as a few shops on here that sold and installed the short block, was hoping they would chime in.

Thx guys

The only thing in the short block that could make noise is a little piston slap until up to operating temp. Forged pistons can make a little more noise in some cars. The shop must have set up the valvetrain as well, lots of possibilities for noise with that and like posted injectors make noise. Take it back to the shop and have the mechanic take a listen.

I called two shops in the southern Michigan area and one didnt seem interested in working on my car and the other FLAT OUT REFUSED. So I really dont know who i would take my car to anymore if I needed engine work done in Michigan. I guess I would leave the state based on my experience with MOD engine guys. LSX platforms seem to have a lot more options in the mitten.

MattR

Established Member
Got me. The one didn't call or email back the other said i made a huge mistake and he wouldn't work on it unless I changed to a whipple or tvs.

Users who are viewing this thread