Built Motor Experiences

danbogart

Established Member
Just unloaded my 05 GT and picked up an 03 Cobra. Looking to start modding this winter. Want to start with upgrading the motor/tranny. Coming from the 3v world, I have heard some mixed reactions on MMR but wanted to hear how 4v guys that have run their motors in their cars feel about the product and customer service. I am looking to purchase a full long block so have been eying the 4v aluminator and mmr. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edit - Also to help with recommendations, the plans for the car are a 2.8lc kenne bell, staying with a t56 (tranzilla or magnum) and supporting mods.

Last edited:

Dusten

Established Member
dan, shoot me a text. The guy that built my motor does 4.6 stuff, has great reviews from the local crowd in so-cal and his price was legit too.

danbogart

Established Member
Maybe post in the correct forum for more responses...

Which forum do you suggest? This is not necessarily terminator specific or even tech specific. And the engine specific section lists three engines of which none are associated with the one I'm asking about?

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
You dont need a built motor for a 2.8l blower unless you plan on spinning that blower hard, just enough fuel support and a good tuner.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
how much power are you looking at? if it's 600 or under to the wheels, just upgrade the fuel system to handle the air a twin screws going to feed into it.. only above that would I start worrying about the engine internals..

there's a reason why the 03/04 Cobra's are so durable from the factory, and it has to do with forged steel crank, forged steel rods and forged aluminum pistons...

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
^^ Whats the point of a 2.8 if you're not gonna spin it?? :beer:

true, but if you need that sort of power might as well get a bigger blower and not have to overspin it and create more heat in the process.

Its all about airflow. If you can move more air at the same or less psi to get it there, you will make more power while straining your motor less.

had a local with a redfire make 680whp on a 3.4L whip with what he said was 18ish psi, on a set of worked over heads and FGT cams (he had to pull the heads to replace the HG so did work on them while they were off). I believe he had longtubes and full exhaust so that helped as well. Stock rotating assembly/block otherwise.

then theres the big turbo guys making 800whp+ easy on stock motor because they can move even more air at lower boost levels.

Last edited:

Dusten

Established Member
or you can go built so that you dont have the motor as a limiting factor if you decide to turn the wick up...

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
All good advice. It all depends on what your future plans include. If you want to go big down the road or just want the peace of mind I would just go built from the start so you can build around that platform. If not then there's much cheaper ways to go fast than an MMR motor

danbogart

Established Member
or you can go built so that you dont have the motor as a limiting factor if you decide to turn the wick up...

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I had an 05 GT that I whippled and blew a hole in the block. Ever since then I told myself that if I build a car I'm going to plan for the future and do it right. I'm in a spot were starting with a whole new built motor/drivetrain is a feasible option for me so I would much prefer to just take care of it now and be done with it. Would I be happy with 600 to the wheels? You bet your sweet ass. Will I be content with it a year or two down the road? Hard to say. I would just like it to be something I don't have to worry about down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread