Built engine troubleshoot...you guys prove how smart you are!

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
Ok, after putting the car aside for 3 years because of grad school, I'm ready to address this beast. The engine was fully built by Proline with about every safety part (main studs, head studs, billet oil gears etc.) in 2009. It was installed and tuned by MPH and ran like a beast at 10 psi for about 6 years. The last couple times I drove it, the temp gauge would creep up a little and drop down on its own. I assumed a sticking thermostat at the time. The last time I drove it, I noticed the temp gauge was up near redline and pull it over and let it rest. After 15 minutes, I re-started it and drove it on at 2500 rpm (interstate speed) and it remained at normal temp. I was cruising at 70 mph with the stereo up and at some point, heard what sounded like a loud exhaust leak (rapid popping sound) The car was running without much loss of power at that point and I immediately cut the ignition and pulled over to the shoulder. In that moment, the car was not running hot. I popped the hood and there was MAD air bubbles thumping in the coolant tank and it seemed like it was boiling, however, it was not overflowing the cap and temp gauge read normal. I had it towed home and placed a pressure tester on the coolant system and it would not hold any pressure at all. When I finally drained the oil, the first 5 seconds was clear, clean coolant followed by oil. There was no mixing (milkshake) and I assume that the pressure test forced the coolant into the oil pan. Never saw oil in coolant or coolant mixed into oil. Now, everything about this scenario screams blown head gasket and I am ready to have the motor pulled and gone through. Here is my only thought...

I am told that these motors with ARP head studs and MLS head gaskets rarely blow. I'm also told by reputable builders that they have never seen block or head warping with ARP head studs in place. Now, knowing that this was built by world class builders and tuner, what are the chances of cooking off a head gasket with ARP head studs and MLS gaskets? I there anything I could be missing????

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Compression test and see if you can narrow down to a bank to pull.

Users who are viewing this thread