Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Other Please Explain.

Votes: 20 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2002_500HP

Banned
Hey Guys,
It's time to get a built Engine. So who do you guys recommend, I really like what John aka JLP has to offer up. My next question would be what heads do you recommend buying, if i change another plug and get the threads with it i'm gonna go insane. So any input from you built guys would be great. And at the same time John has one of the PTK Turbo Kits (or it's soon to be there) I bought in his shop so that would be one plus working with him.

Thanks
Chris

Last edited:

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
You know my deal already. If I were going to just buy all the stuff I'd go JLP all the way, short block, his heads and his stage III cams-mine should be here Tuesday.

The reason I say this is due to the fact that out of all of the big SV's I have spoken with on the phone JL seems to be the most genuine and down to earth. His prices are as good and most times better than the rest as well. Even though most builders use basically the same stuff in the engines it all depends upon whom you feel the most comfortable using.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Call Billy at Modular Speedworx. He built my engine and did a beeeeeeeatiful job at a very reasonable price. I dynoed 577rwhp at only 15lbs of boost.

209-648-0325

FordFanStan

Established Member
Dante @ DMP is the man. One of his built engines (due to tuning issues) leaned out to over 17:1 A/F twice and it held together just fine. my .02 cents.. Stan

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
FordFanStan said:
Dante @ DMP is the man. One of his built engines (due to tuning issues) leaned out to over 17:1 A/F twice and it held together just fine. my .02 cents.. Stan

Dante is a nice guy. But he's EXPENSIVE as hell!!!!!!!!!!!

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
As far as I'm concearned they are ALL expensive! LOL. For the expenditure involved I think these motors should make 1000+ hp! Oh well, it's only $$$ right Larry?

As long as you go with someone reputable, local or both you should be ok.

2002_500HP

Banned
Thanks Guys, I'm think i'll go with JLP and let him send it to me ready to drop in his prices are good and i usually don't get that this guy is this and that guys is that from him which i like most other vendors you call just wanna start bashing one another and i can't stand that BS. I figure JLP is reputable i know there's some folks running around with his Engine.

VPRPWR

Established Member
Another vote for Dante from Dante's Modular Performance....expensive yes, but he builds a killer engine and will back up his work!! Plus here in So Cal he is at pretty much every event were racing at supporting his customers, how's that for customer service :thumbsup:

bransharksfan

2006 ST Class AutoX CHAMP
Established Member
LIGHTNING LARRY said:
Call Billy at Modular Speedworx. He built my engine and did a beeeeeeeatiful job at a very reasonable price. I dynoed 577rwhp at only 15lbs of boost.

209-648-0325

I second that my truck should be home next week!! I can not wait!! :banana:

LightningFast00

673/753 pump gas
Established Member
It completely depends on where you are located... I would buy from one person who is local and get everything from him... Do your research and leave one person responsible for everything...

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
LIGHTNING LARRY said:

209-648-0325

My vote goes to Billy as well. You cant beat his prices, and the quality of work. He is a Ford Tech as well, so he knows his stuff. Before you decide, either give him a call, or PM me on what parts your interested in getting, and ill talk to him and get his prices. Larry, i hope thats ok.

-Dave

2002_500HP

Banned
Well I'm on the East Coast and after send my M3 out to Cali once for mods and then to Las Vegas when i sold it i'm can't stand going through that again. So i think i will be going with JLP just wanted some more input before i made my final decision...but i think since he working with the Turbo kit i bought i will go with him.

BlackL03

Being Blown Feels Gooood!
Established Member
I live in Central ohio who is the most reputable L long block builder close??

Last edited:

The Swede

How long is a string ?
Established Member
LIGHTNING LARRY said:

209-648-0325

+ 1 !

Billy is the man to talk to !

:D

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
I went with a JDM short block and LFP Stage II Heads. JDM uses brand new blocks with the stock bore size. I may be wrong, but, from what I understand JLP uses reworked blocks that are bored 0.20 over. The reason I went with JDM is because the blocks are brand new and if something happened to one of the cylinders, I would still have room to bore if I had to. Theres not a whole lot you can do with a block that has already been bored. Nothing at all against JLP, he does have some awesome engines and he is, after all, the fastest Gen II. I just decided to go with JDM. Jim Jr. was very helpful and a heck-of-a nice guy.

Users who are viewing this thread