Built Coyote Stock Bore vs 5.2L

Force Induced

Boost Addict
Established Member
Hey guys,

I just recently put an order in to get my build process into looking like a reality. I'm doing the MMR pro mod block which is sleeved , unfilled with manley billet I beams and manley pistons. Its basically rated all around for 1500hp. I'm just debating weather to stick with the stock bore or have them do the big bore. I feel from a personal point of view I think that the stock bore is the safer route as the block has more aluminum for support. However MMR did tell me they have many 5.2's out there pushing 1000hp so I suppose I feel a little more safe at the stock bore but there is performance to be gained at the larger bore especially with my FI application. Just wanted to get some opinions on the matter.

Thanks,

Josh

D.T.R

Established Member
Hey guys,

I just recently put an order in to get my build process into looking like a reality. I'm doing the MMR pro mod block which is sleeved , unfilled with manley billet I beams and manley pistons. Its basically rated all around for 1500hp. I'm just debating weather to stick with the stock bore or have them do the big bore. I feel from a personal point of view I think that the stock bore is the safer route as the block has more aluminum for support. However MMR did tell me they have many 5.2's out there pushing 1000hp so I suppose I feel a little more safe at the stock bore but there is performance to be gained at the larger bore especially with my FI application. Just wanted to get some opinions on the matter.

Thanks,

Josh

The 5.2L might breath a little bit better and spool the turbos better due to the displacement, but i can't see it being such a drastic difference. You can always make that up with a set of cams or a lil more compression. I'd ask them if the 5.2L can rev as high as the 5.0L ... if it can't for some reason, then I'd definitely go with the 5.0L. RPMs are turbo's best friend.
Also another thing to consider, like you said, the material on the sleeves... while the 5.2L might hold the power just fine, it certainly has less meat on the sleeves which gives you less room for rebuilding later on if something happened and you scored the cyl walls.

D.T.R

Established Member
Then grab it you will make more power at no extra cost, its a no brainer!

How does it make more power? Just wondering.

From my experience with import motors, usually the same block that went from a 2.0L to a 2.4L (that's a 20% difference, the same as taking a 5.0L and make it a 6.0L) you don't gain power nor make any more power than a 2.0L would. You will make the same hp, just slightly more tq, but you give up RPMs... so it's not always worth trading power band to gain tq.

Last edited:

CPRsm

How does it make more power? Just wondering.

From my experience with import motors, usually the same block that went from a 2.0L to a 2.4L (that's a 20% difference, the same as taking a 5.0L and make it a 6.0L) you don't gain power nor make any more power than a 2.0L would. You will make the same hp, just slightly more tq, but you give up RPMs... so it's not always worth trading power band to gain tq.
Sounds like they used the same turbo on the 2.4 as the 2.0 and choked it!! Same torque w little to no more power is a tell.

D.T.R

Established Member
Sounds like they used the same turbo on the 2.4 as the 2.0 and choked it!! Same torque w little to no more power is a tell.

Iono, I don't think so. There are plenty of scenarios like this, even on all motor application. But i could be wrong and I'm sure there are cases where the slightly bigger cube motor made more power or enough to justify it.

Tyler72

Established Member
Considering it is an increase in bore only, I'd say the RPM capability of either will be the same. Big bore small stroke engines don't make as much torque as a "stroker" because the throw on the crank is shorter which means the rod has less leverage on it. Think of it as comparing a 3ft breaker bar to a 1ft 3/8 ratchet. However, because the piston travels further during each revolution of the crank, it is moving a lot faster than a short stroke engine, & this is why RPM is often limited. If you don't change the stroke, RPM capability should stay the same as long as the pistons aren't significantly heavier. Weight can be another limiting factor but as long as everything is balanced its not nearly as big of a limitation as stroke.

Users who are viewing this thread