Built 5/18/99 & blown up at VIR on 9/10/09

Teksid281

Banned
I am curious, could you describe the c6 z and its owner? There is a local guy here who has a VERY nasty black c6 z and he is an arrogant ass who would ask just such a question. Does the license plate TOE FOO ring a bell?

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
I am curious, could you describe the c6 z and its owner? There is a local guy here who has a VERY nasty black c6 z and he is an arrogant ass who would ask just such a question. Does the license plate TOE FOO ring a bell?

Not the same guy. This was a red Z06 and he was pretty cool. In all honesty, there is no way a mustang should be able to keep up with a Z06 so I think it is a very reasonable question.

Teksid281

Banned
Stock for stock of course not but a well modded Mustang should have the potential to keep up with one :shrug:

BlackStripes

Established Member
man, that sucks!!.. but i know the feeling!!

I decided to go all out and get the SLA from Agent47 and get a custom build turbo setup that would fit the suspension (I had the kit from HP)... waited 8 months to get the money (A LOT of $$$) and get all done. I went to the track and the car lasted 35 minutes! If I didn't know how the car handles now... I would have pushed it off a cliff. The car handles unbelievable and I can sooo see my goal doable now... but... I don't have the energy now and then the money issue... I know I will fix it.. and go to the track again... just not now. I am seriously thinking about tracking my bike, I am going to do it at least once... man, they are so much cheaper!!!

Good luck with your decisions!!

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
True that, Hector. I used to road race a GP bike all over the country with WERA and AMACCS back in the 70's and 80's, and it was sooooo inexpensive. Yeh, I know inflation has hit, and stuff was way cheaper back then, but I wasn't making very much either, and had a race that I could afford to go to every other weekend for years!

I can't imagine trying to do that with a car. :eek:

I'd sure like to see your A47 some day.

Maynor

Established Member
man, that sucks!!.. but i know the feeling!!

I decided to go all out and get the SLA from Agent47 and get a custom build turbo setup that would fit the suspension (I had the kit from HP)... waited 8 months to get the money (A LOT of $$$) and get all done. I went to the track and the car lasted 35 minutes! If I didn't know how the car handles now... I would have pushed it off a cliff. The car handles unbelievable and I can sooo see my goal doable now... but... I don't have the energy now and then the money issue... I know I will fix it.. and go to the track again... just not now. I am seriously thinking about tracking my bike, I am going to do it at least once... man, they are so much cheaper!!!

Good luck with your decisions!!

Actually I 2nd Greg's "i'd like to see your Agent47" setup one of these days? I'm in MD/VA/DC quite often if it ever works out.

35 minutes? Details. What happened?

wheelhopper

Established Member
I don't need to see the A47 set up. Let me know when you decide to part your car out and sell the A47 sla for half price, I'll take it.

Greg, what a coincidence. We were both busy in the '70s. You were driving motorcyles on the track, and I was busy learning to write in elementary school.

BlackStripes

Established Member
35 minutes? Details. What happened?

Details:
Well, my engine wasn't in the best shape basically since it was built 6 years ago, it had a nasty leak in one of the cylinders, but it never bothered me since the car used to put 500rwhp @ 10PSI. Anyway, after 3 or so years of not having problems with my kit, I really wanted to break the ST2 record at Summit Point :) (I have a LOT of friends with Z06's!) I was running low 1:26's/high 1:25's on old azenis tires... so I decided to get rid of my drag racing oriented K-member so I could run r-compounds, I was always scared of high grip on a flimsy front suspension... soooo, I talked to Agent47 and ordered my front suspension, obviously I needed to get rid of my old turbo kit and make a custom one that would fit the new suspension. So during the winter I ordered everything but somehow the builder had a really hard time keeping the turbos alive. If you go to the turbo cobra section, you can read how our engines (2V or 4V) blow turbo seals like nothing...

So, after many many tries and changes, I got my car back in July, and I went to a Friday at the Track in Summit Point as shake down... I ran one session and the car was smoking a little bit during the turns under boost, but turn 5, 6, 7 and 8 the car was SO much faster than before, it was a totally different car!! Anyway, I felt like i needed to bleed the brakes, so I pitted in before the session was over. Second session, I go out and after 4 or 5 laps, the car started to smoke like an old train.... I couldn't see the car behind me!! Obviously I got black flagged. I pitted in and that was it. I had to pack my stuff and call a towing company, so, I am not sure if the seals in the turbos blew again or I lifted a head gasket, but as i said, I don't have the energy now, the battery is dead, so I need a new battery, check the oil and then go from there. If the engine is fine, I can always run N/A, which might be painful since my car has low compression and 7 cylinders :) or fix the engine and finally put an aluminum block!... but the car is parked since then. I know i will fix the whole thing, just not now... One thing though, I was SO much slower (me, the driver) that wasn't funny... I know I can pick up my rithm after a couple of weekends but without a car it's going to be hard :D

When I take the car to the shop to get it fixed you are more than welcome to check out the suspension... I have to say, its A-1 Quality and worth it every penny!! It really reminded me driving a Corvette, a LOT of grip and so much better transitioning ... oh well, hopefully 2010 :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread