Building our new home - build thread

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
My wife and I purchased 5.5 acres back in May, sold our old home and have begun building a new one. The land was previously a cattle pasture back in the 80s.

This is in Driftood, TX about 22 miles SW of Austin. In 2010 the entire Zip Code for Driftood (78619) had a population of 2467, so it's a relatively spread out, unpopulated area with lots of land.

The home we are building is a custom 1 story, 3050 sq ft mission style home designed by an architect out of San Antonio. It's 4 bedroom, 3.5 baths and a 3 car garage. Home will have 8' wrought iron double doors and the garage doors have been enlarged (both height and width) to make room for my Raptor. It will also have a metal roof, spray foam insulation and 17 seer HVAC.

Our builder is out of Wimberly, TX, about 20 minutes from the building site.

This is a small subdivision of about 30 homes on a dead end road. Everything in here is 5-10 acres. There is no HOA, but there is an architectural committee to ensure things are built right. Homes in here range from $450k up to 1.2 million. And we can actually have cattle and/or horses if we want.

The entire 5.5 acres will be fenced with field fence, t-posts and we will have 2 stone pillars and an electronic gate at the driveway.

This thread will basically document from the beginning to the end of the build. Figured some people may enjoy the process.

Front elevation from blue prints:
27zllz7.jpg

Garage side elevation from blue prints:
2ups0w0.jpg

Road base driveway down:
30arihu.jpg

Foundation prep work:
oh7l9w.jpg

Foundation being poured:
s4zbbk.jpg

Framing just started:
2ly4d2s.jpg

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Very nice and exciting! Just don't let the stress get to you and have fun with it.

-Jeff

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
We are considering building soon as well. Terrified of the selection process. How do you possibly ever decide on something?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Just remember. She picks out the lighting, the bathrooms, bedroom, living and dining room and kitchen. You get the garage and maybe the den area. Keep to your respected areas and all should flow smoothly.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
All I want is a basement, a large bedroom-proximity laundry room, and eventually a 2 car garage with an office/bathroom/fold out couch/fridge/tv/gtfo escape.

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
We are considering building soon as well. Terrified of the selection process. How do you possibly ever decide on something?

My wife is a realtor so she gets a lot of ideas from homes she shows. It helps a lot.

Since we are using a custom private builder and not a big-box builder we've had to pick stuff from local stores and online. We've already got all the undermount sinks for the kitchen and baths sitting in storage, as well as faucets, ceiling fans and most of our appliances.

Fortunately my wife and I have very similar taste so it's easy for us to agree on decisions.

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
Have a storm safe room or cellar?

Pretty rare for a tornado to hit the Austin area, so no.

Basements here are very rare. My wife has only seen one in her years of real estate. Too expensive to build due to all the rock/stone right below the surface.

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
My home is bigger but wished it was a Ranch! Very jealous, looks great. Looking forward to this

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Looks like its going to be a beautiful home and the from the pics the spot you've chosen to build looks great as well. Congrats!

Best thing my wife and i ever did was get away from the hustle and bustle and buy a home on 10 acres. Look forward to your progress.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
My wife is a realtor so she gets a lot of ideas from homes she shows. It helps a lot.

Since we are using a custom private builder and not a big-box builder we've had to pick stuff from local stores and online. We've already got all the undermount sinks for the kitchen and baths sitting in storage, as well as faucets, ceiling fans and most of our appliances.

Fortunately my wife and I have very similar taste so it's easy for us to agree on decisions.

We've looked at tons of homes the last 18 months, so there are definitely things I have seen that I want, things I will have, and other designs I refuse

As far as decoration, lighting, faucets, appliance etc... I couldn't care less.

I was more referencing the floor plan...just seems like every single decision would be quadruple guessed...and even then...still a nightmare to decide on.

TorchMach

Established Member
Awesome, I love stuff like this. Pretty much my dream to build my own home on a big patch of land. Congrats and keep posting pics! Sub'n

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Pretty rare for a tornado to hit the Austin area, so no.

Basements here are very rare. My wife has only seen one in her years of real estate. Too expensive to build due to all the rock/stone right below the surface.

Talk to your builder, strengthening the laundry room might be an option. I was in OKC for the May/99 F5, I was on Tinker AFB base shitting bricks while my wife and kids huddled in the laundry room at home 2 miles from the tornado.

It is just way easier to do before the house is done. Good luck with your house either way.

oldmodman

Established Member
What are the utilities like in your area?
City or well water?
Gas, propane or city?
I'm sure you have power there.
Are you going to put in Solar electricity and water heating?
Now for the important question. How big is the separate concrete shop building going to be? I saw one 100 by 250 foot on a property for sale in Nevada. I almost forgot to see if there was a house for sale on the same property:lol1:

Are you planning a home theater or even just an audio listening room? I know three guys that built houses in the last ten years and they all regret NOT putting in a home theater. Doesn't have to be huge or super high tech. Just a place away from other people and their noise where the game or movie can be watched in piece. And one guy did go whole hog and never realized how much enjoyment he would get from it AFTER he had kids. Do you know how many times a grown man with daughters, aged six and nine will watch Frozen with you?

It looks like you have a beautiful spread planned. And a great area too.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Awesome plans and area, wish the wife and I could move out to the hill country! We bought land north of Houston last year intending on building, but due to our decision to move back to the coast we are now in the process of buying a spec home that was 80% done. Saved a shitload of money but it's definitely not as nice as a custom home on land.

Users who are viewing this thread