Building motor - on a budget

PureSound15

Established Member
So here's the problem. I need to build my motor to avoid the all too certain disaster that awaits me, but I have to do it on a budget.

So - with 3 wedding coming up, one of which half way around the world, I'm forced to just do what I have to do to "make it work"

What do you guys suggest? What is the bare minimum that I need to do? Just grab some manley rods and some 9:1 pistons? I know I'll have to bore and hone, but I suppose I'm not against a complete list of what I should do.

I don't want to hear that I should do cams and a stroker or anything "while it's apart" because I can't do it right now.

Thanks for the help. :beer:a

PureSound15

Established Member
18k on the motor, 6k miles with the blower. Street driven.

Spec 2 clutch
full exhaust (no cats)
procharger

no motor issues at all.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Get a very nice dyno tune on it [if you haven't already] and make sure its fat.

You should be fine, especially since the motor is relatively new.

...but if you REALLY want to forge it.

Summit Racing has a rebuild kit with forged pistons and you can get it in a lower compression, then buy used 03/04 rods.

FRPP head gasket changing kit. get the blocked bored and honed, crankshaft polished, and make sure the heads are decked and level.

and a buncha gaskets.

Will you be building this yourself? [I'm going to guess no, since you are asking this question]

PureSound15

Established Member
A friend of mine will be doing the work. He's built dozens of motors, so I'm not worried.

Thanks for the advise. Anything else?

quikcobra

Established Member
Dozens of motors or dozens of mod aluminum motors? There is a difference. Almost anyone can build a motor, But to build it right. There is different finishes to have on the walls for the rings your running, ring gaps for your application, ect....

But I am also building mine on a budget but Im going twin turbo. I will be using 03-04 manley rods (A guy here in Orlando ISSAC is running a 03 cobra with 800hp And on stock rods last time I talked to him) And get a good set of CP or Modmax pistons. Or if your on a serious budget get the pistons and rods from an 03-04 cobra. give you good forged parts for less then $500.

And the cobra im talking about
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BfhcMPp4ig"]YouTube - LTHL SVT on the dyno in my 03 COBRA[/ame]

Then all you need is gaskets.

PureSound15

Established Member
Dozens of 2000 + hp motors, and hundreds of mod motors when he was a ford tech. I'm really not worried about the build, just trying to figure out what exactly I need to do.

Last edited:

PureSound15

Established Member
The first problem I see, no such thing as a modular budget build:nono:

Well... sure, but there's a difference between building it so that it doesn't break, and replacing everything in the motor for performance.

And yes, with forged internals I would be upping the boost for a little more power :D

The car was tuned by Mike Post out of Chicago - I'm not worried about the tune right now, either.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Then why even do it now? It's running fine, the tune is good, you have lots of other exspenses, why risk it? Just put some mone aside and add to itevery now and then. You will be REALLY pissed if you blow $2000 on crap parts and it blows anyway.

wma8706

Established Member
Then why even do it now? It's running fine, the tune is good, you have lots of other exspenses, why risk it? Just put some mone aside and add to itevery now and then. You will be REALLY pissed if you blow $2000 on crap parts and it blows anyway.

+1. Are you not satisfied with the 460 RWHP you have now? I can see going with the built engine and upping the power only if money wasn't tight for you. Save for a rainy day. Horsepower is like a drug..... once you get use to the feeling... you want more!

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Just be careful not to cut corners... it gets you into trouble.

As someone mentioned, you can find a set of used 03 cobra rods, and a set of forged pistons from summit for pretty cheap. If the motor is in good shape, you won't need a lot of machine work to get it rebuilt.

It's all the things that are involved with removing the motor, reinstalling it, and tuning it that gets expensive. Whatever it costs you to rebuild it with forged internals, double or triple that to factor in the extra parts youll need, (gaskets, bearings, fluids, a random sensor here or there, spark plugs, etc) plus tuning. Plus, if you want to take it past 460 HP or so, you'll need a new pulley, maybe a new MAF and injectors, a bigger fuel pump, perhaps... Think about all the extra costs that will happen AFTER you forge it and want to get more power out of it as well.

However, I think someone else had the best word of advice. Just get a good tune if you are looking to save some cash right now.

Speaking of tuning, who does a good dyno tune here in Orlando? I need to get a retune.

Homer

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread