Building a stroker motor, need some input

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
hey guys, i will try and give you the background here so you can give me the best information.

My 04 Cobra got the head tick, it was loud, real loud, and it was getting worse. I drove it that way for a couple of months, its my daily driver and it didn't have any loss of power or drivability. It was getting unbearable to drive, and i know that if it isn't broken you shouldn't fix it but i had had enough.

I finally broke down and pulled the motor out of the car, it is currently in the garage on jackstands, the entire motor was disassembled and inspected. I noticed some damage on the piston skirt and some slight scratches on the cylinder walls, long story short, i decided to replace the motor and reuse my heads by replacing valve guides etc.

My search for a new motor was between livernois and MMR, livernois was a bit more expensive and with the black friday deals that MMR was offering i took advantage.

So this is where i need some help from you guys:

this is the setup i have put together, let me know:

MMR 5.0 Stroker Street Mod 1000S

MMR Street/Racing Oil Pump (highly recommended) + $159.99 (free installation)

MMR/Felpro Extreme Duty Headgaskets + $169.99

ARP Headstuds +$289.99

Upgrade to MMR block side bolts (recommended for 500+ HP) +$59.99 (free installation)

ARP Mainstuds (recommended for 600+HP) +189.99 (free installation)

My heads have already been shipped over there to be ported and new bronze valve guides put in etc.

My accompanying mods that will be going on as well will include:

Lethal Performance 03-04 Cobra Dual Pump Fuel System $1,421.15

60# injectors $350.00

Ford Racing EV1-EV6 Fuel Injector Adapter Kits $39.99

Spec 01-04 Mustang Stage 3 Plus Clutch Kit $434.34

Aluminum Flywheel Resurface $75.00

D&D 26 Spline Input Shaft $369.95

McLeod T-56 Throwout Bearing Retainer Sleeve $120.00

Ford Racing 96-04 Heavy Duty Throwout bearing $53.95

Ford 99-04 Mustang DOHC Cooling Mod $197.99

Reische Performance 170 Degree High Performance Thermostat $55.00

Fluidyne 03-04 Cobra heat Exchanger $313.47

Hilton 03-04 Cobra high Boost Overlay (24psi) $29.95

Ford Racing 96-04 4.6L/5.4L Stage 8 Header Bolts $39.56

Ford Racing 96-04 DOHC Mustang Replacement Header Gaskets $20.95

Spark Plugs $25.00

Kooks 1 5/8 Longtubes with Kooks offroad X (ALREADY PURCHASED)

Borla Stingers (ALREADY PURCHASED)

UPR Tubular K member w/ Coil over conversion, caster camber plates etc. (ALREADY PURCHASED)

It will have an upgraded supercharger without a doubt, that is for sure. Personally it is between the new 2.9 whipple 3.4 whipple or the 2.8 kenne bell, i will decide that later, right now i want to concentrate on the motor.

I mean, shit, that new 302 boss motor would stroke my block out to 5.3!! damn that sounds enticing.

I wanna try and get this setup put together and running by christmas even though i know its a stretch.

Do i go stage 3 heads and stage 3 cams?? Is it overkill for a daily driver setup???

What compression ratio works best for a twin screw?

im assuming based on what i have read and personally seen, i will be able to run between 16-20 lbs of boost on pump gas

I want 650 to the tires minimum.

And if you guys were wondering, all of the installation work will be done by my father and I, we are very capable in installing this motor, we built the whole setup for his car.

Please let me know guys, i know you all know your shit! Once i pull the trigger, i will document the build with pics and vids, so stay tuned for the future of my terminator!

Wayneo

Established Member
I wouldn't think that stage 3 heads and cams is overkill at all. It's up to you if you want to deal with the lope of a stage 3 cam on a daily driver. If it was me hell yeah I would do it!!!! The stock compression is great for boost and these motors were meant to handle it, but if I needed to rebuild my shortblock i'd go big bore 5.0l instead of stroker since its less stress on the crank and 9:1 compression to up the torque and better throttle response at lower rpms. I'm not no motor expert but i've done my research, I could be wrong but thats my plan. Good luck should be a monster when your finished:beer:

Last edited:

Teej281

Established Member
hey guys, i will try and give you the background here so you can give me the best information.

My 04 Cobra got the head tick, it was loud, real loud, and it was getting worse. I drove it that way for a couple of months, its my daily driver and it didn't have any loss of power or drivability. It was getting unbearable to drive, and i know that if it isn't broken you shouldn't fix it but i had had enough.

I finally broke down and pulled the motor out of the car, it is currently in the garage on jackstands, the entire motor was disassembled and inspected. I noticed some damage on the piston skirt and some slight scratches on the cylinder walls, long story short, i decided to replace the motor and reuse my heads by replacing valve guides etc.

My search for a new motor was between livernois and MMR, livernois was a bit more expensive and with the black friday deals that MMR was offering i took advantage.

So this is where i need some help from you guys:

this is the setup i have put together, let me know:[/B]

MMR 5.0 Boss Blocked Street Mod 1000

Boss block $1200

Do not buy an MMR oil pump. My friend's motor blew from a failure of one. Plus I've heard other horror stories from them as well.

MMR/Felpro Extreme Duty Headgaskets + $169.99

ARP Headstuds +$289.99

Upgrade to MMR block side bolts (recommended for 500+ HP) +$59.99 (free installation)

ARP Mainstuds (recommended for 600+HP) +189.99 (free installation)

My heads have already been shipped over there to be ported and new bronze valve guides put in etc.

My accompanying mods that will be going on as well will include:

Lethal Performance 03-04 Cobra Triple Pump Return style Fuel System $2000

80# injectors $400.00

Ford Racing EV1-EV6 Fuel Injector Adapter Kits $39.99

McLeod Mustang RST/RXT Clutch Kit $800

Aluminum Flywheel Resurface $75.00

D&D 26 Spline Input Shaft $369.95

McLeod T-56 Throwout Bearing Retainer Sleeve $120.00

Ford Racing 96-04 Heavy Duty Throwout bearing $53.95

Ford 99-04 Mustang DOHC Cooling Mod $197.99

Reische Performance 170 Degree High Performance Thermostat $55.00

Fluidyne 03-04 Cobra heat Exchanger $313.47

Hilton 03-04 Cobra high Boost Overlay (24psi) $29.95

Ford Racing 96-04 4.6L/5.4L Stage 8 Header Bolts $39.56

Ford Racing 96-04 DOHC Mustang Replacement Header Gaskets $20.95

Spark Plugs $25.00

Kooks 1 5/8 Longtubes with Kooks offroad X (ALREADY PURCHASED)

Borla Stingers (ALREADY PURCHASED)

UPR Tubular K member w/ Coil over conversion, caster camber plates etc. (ALREADY PURCHASED)

It will have an upgraded supercharger without a doubt, that is for sure. Personally it is between the new 2.9 whipple 3.4 whipple or the 2.8 kenne bell, i will decide that later, right now i want to concentrate on the motor.

I mean, shit, that new 302 boss motor would stroke my block out to 5.3!! damn that sounds enticing.

I wanna try and get this setup put together and running by christmas even though i know its a stretch.

Do i go stage 3 heads and custom blower cams?? Is it overkill for a daily driver setup???

What compression ratio works best for a twin screw? Go E85 with a 10:1 compression shortblock. Works wonders for throttle response and bottom end grunt when not in boost. Thats the punchline i've been building up to.

im assuming based on what i have read and personally seen, i will be able to run over 20 lbs of boost on pump gas

You'll have at least 650 to the tires minimum.

And if you guys were wondering, all of the installation work will be done by my father and I, we are very capable in installing this motor, we built the whole setup for his car.

Please let me know guys, i know you all know your shit! Once i pull the trigger, i will document the build with pics and vids, so stay tuned for the future of my terminator!

All the bolded items are what I would change. But thats just me.

Cheers :beer:

03yellow

Established Member
Go low compression 8:1. I've seen 3 cars this year that didn't tune high numbers and were limited with the boost because they were 10:1.
Don't do it! I've seen too many thT couldn't put up the numbers with a supercharger!
Why would you settle for 20lbs of boost if you could get the 10:1 motor to take it?

Last edited:

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
All the bolded items are what I would change. But thats just me.

Cheers :beer:

About the E85, remember this is my daily driver, and around where I live there isn't much E85 at every station, I know I could get a switch flip tune and run both, but I would like to keep it simple and stay with 93 octane, every station has it, and I'm always bouncing around. Honestly, the way I've been figuring it, I have a sunoco 5 miles from my house, I would love to have a switch flip tune between pump has and race gas, so if I wanna roast the tires even more I can put some race gas in it and terrorize the streets. I'm leaning towards the 9:1 compression at the moment, so my verdict, im gonna stay away from the E85, I wanna keep it simple, and make the best power on 93 octane. I will have a race gas tune.

No offense to the suggestion of using E85, it's just not practical where I'm at.

As far as the compression ratio goes, I've been leaning towards 9:1 and the only other compression would be 8.5:1. I don't want to go to high with the 10:1.

I do agree about the 80# injectors, the last thing I want to do is strap this car on the dyno and run out of fuel, is a triple pump system necessary? I figured the lethal dual pump could handle 750 HP. Are there any benefits of doing a return style fuel system??

As far as clutches go, I have had a good experience with spec, the mcleoud clutch is supposed to be great I have heard, I'll keep looking around.

I am open to many suggestions, I have done tons of research, now it's about going all the way and doing it, I just want to make sure that the motor is being setup properly for daily driving and constant use, I know alot of guys on this forum have tons of experience with these cars, so I'm asking for help. Personally I can see this car making 700+ RWHP on pump gas. I'm excited, I will document and post the entire progress of my build because I know you guys get hard ons on the sight of a built motor and twin screws mounted on terminators haha.

Thanks again for the input so far, please keep it coming

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
I agree with Wayneo. If I were to rebuild I would also go with the 5.0 instead of the stroker. Good luck with the build and keep us posted.

Teej281

Established Member
700rwhp on pump is going to be tough. 700rwhp on race gas, yes. But pump I think you'll be stuck in the mid 600's honestly.

And the reason I suggested the 80lb injectors and triple pump system was to support the E85. I would however go with the 80's for a goal of 700rwhp in mind. But I would go with the twin walbro return setup from Lethal rather than the twin gt pump system. Return is always better in my mind. A lot less to go wrong.

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
MMR has the boss 302 block on the site, if I remember right is 1199.00 to upgrade, that is really the only thing I'm debating for the motor now.

Just an update, i have been putting together the invoice with MMR for a week now, I've told them to do a stage 3 port on the heads, stage 3 blower cams and to have the pistons notched, compression ratio will be 9:1, as of now the shortblock that is on the invoice Is the street mod 1000S, It should be more than capable of handling 650-750 horsepower. I've put half down on the total and am just making sure everything is perfect.

I called lethal yesterday and talked about fuel systems, based on what I have read here and what they told me, I will be doing the dual pump return style fuel system, going to order asap and take advantage of their 10% off of fuel systems Christmas sale.

I hope this car makes closer to 700-750 on pump considering I can make 650 to the tire on a stock longblock.

Once the motor arrives, other than a compression test (I have the kit). Is there any other way I can have the motor tested before it goes in my car? I would like to catch any issues before the motor is installed in my car.

Thanks for your help so far guys, much appreciated, I would love to have this car done by Christmas, but I know that's next to impossible, considering all the different parts I have to order at once and the time it takes me to install it plus having to get it tuned.

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
And I still haven't decided on a supercharger!!!! It's between two, huge debate but I gotta pick, kenne bell 2.8LC or whipple 3.4?? It's the hardest choice haha do you guys have any preferences over another, overall performance, inlet temps etc???

Users who are viewing this thread