Building a storage shed

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
We just bought 35 acres and now I need to build a storage shed out there. Nothing fancy, maybe 10x12. Has anyone built from scratch vs buying one of those kits from the box stores? How do the costs stack up? Would you go the same way again? Thanks.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
If you have the time and know how, it's worth it.

I am expecting delivery on a 12' X 24' shed in the next few weeks, it cost a lot, but I don't have the time to build it myself and I added a lot of options.

That said, 10 X 12 will fill up fast...

Last edited:

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
It may fill up fast, but that should be incentive to get the house built. That said, I was thinking of putting it on skids so I can move it easily at a later time.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Tylerc

Established Member
It's real hard to even buy the material and be cheaper than a kit. Definitely get a kit, you will most likely save time and it will be done much quicker.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
The cost here is close to a wash.
That said , the price of build it your self , allows for more options , at little extra cost.
I buld them on 4x6 pt skids , with metal roof and sides , for less than the box stores .
Also built with dimentional lumber, not metric .
For instance , a 10x20 with 12 foot walls and 2 loft areas , with metal siding and roof , runs around 8k.
Add windows , cost goes up a small fraction.
This is a size the box stores dont have.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
If the lumber is not 1.2 x 3.5 , it is not a 2x4.
I see a lot of the stud walls made from 1x3 and they call those metric around here .

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
We have retired guys building that size shed around here and sell them reasonable.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
You'd be dumb to not push that to 10x16 at the very least. Considering you run 16" between studs, you should be able to pick up another four feet very cheaply/reasonably if you build it yourself.

Simple math..

12 foot 2x4 is running around 8 bucks here (treated). Lets say you're using 6 foot studs. We are at 4 dollars a stud.

3 extra studs longer per side is 48". So for 3 feet, a general cost would be 10 bucks a foot on the walls. Account for your additional plywood and roofing material, and you'll be golden. Plus since it's a shed, it's not like you'll run 2x6 joists (if you do that'd be overkill).

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
You'd be dumb to not push that to 10x16 at the very least. Considering you run 16" between studs, you should be able to pick up another four feet very cheaply/reasonably if you build it yourself.

Simple math..

12 foot 2x4 is running around 8 bucks here (treated). Lets say you're using 6 foot studs. We are at 4 dollars a stud.

3 extra studs longer per side is 48". So for 3 feet, a general cost would be 10 bucks a foot on the walls. Account for your additional plywood and roofing material, and you'll be golden. Plus since it's a shed, it's not like you'll run 2x6 joists (if you do that'd be overkill).

That's what I was trying to get across earlier, here is the pricing guide from the place where I ordered my shed https://shedsunlimited.net/vinyl-sided-storage-shed-prices/. They can go 4 more feet for just a few hundred bucks, it would be even cheaper doing it yourself. You'll wish you had, trust me.

Long story short, a tree fell on my 8 year old 12' X 20' shed, it was a blessing in disguise because I always wished I had gone bigger in the first place. My new shed has 6' swinging doors on the front and a 8' X 9' garage door on the end.

Last edited:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
You're getting long to want way bigger. My garage is 22x40 and by the time I put a tractor and a mower in there, along with all my other stuff, there's not much room

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
Make it tall enough for a loft area that you won't hit your head on when you walk in! The shed at my last house was like that and it made it a pain in the ass to get stuff out of if it was on the back wall.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I picked up an 8x10 rubbermaid shed or something like that because it was only $150 from somebody that was moving and I can tell ya, its not anywhere near big enough. A 10x12 wouldnt be a whole lot better.

This like toolboxes and gun safes, however big you think you need, double it

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
- You’ll want something much bigger than this, but you may be able to glean some ideas from my build.
- Simple 6’x6’ Suncast shed. It was a honeymoon fit for the spot I had to fill.
- Put a couple short pieces of perforated drain tile w/sock to keep the water in one spot.
- I thought it would maintain its stability and be less likely to heave from frost.
- Maybe overkill, but the labor from the dummy building it was free.
- After 3 years, it hasn’t moved.

IMG_0100.jpeg

IMG_0106.jpeg

- Built a treated 4”x4” base held in place with 4 steel tent helical anchors.

IMG_0117.jpeg

IMG_0118.jpeg

- Painted both sides of 1/2” plywood before fastening.

IMG_0123.jpeg

- This “kit” suggested use of 2”x4” as the base for the shed beneath the plastic floor.
- There was nothing about the 4”x4”’s and plywood. I created that on my own.
- It has to be on a solid base here on the tundra.

IMG_0133.jpeg

IMG_0137.jpeg

- I fastened the plastic floor to the base with Spax zinc coated power lags fasteners.
- What a great fastener! The have a large washer as part of the fastener head.

IMG_0148.jpeg

IMG_0142.jpeg

It’s just a plastic shed, but it fits our needs pretty well.

IMG_0147.jpeg

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
We built my brother a 3 sided storage shed for seasoning his firewood. He is very thrifty and he saved money by getting rough cut lumber direct from a sawmill. I think he paid more for the metal roofing than the actual lumber.

Users who are viewing this thread