Building a Drag car looking for the forums Wisdom

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
:banana: I bought a 96 mustang that I plan on converting to a drag car only to run brackets at the strip. Not looking to build a 5 second car or anything just a car that runs a good time. I have a corbra engine to go in and I know I will need a diffrent rear end because this car is not even a GT. I am looking for ideas that you think work and most of all the ones that you have found to be a waste of time....throw out the Ideas please.

tt54l32v

Established Member
if its a bracket car get an auto. also what year engine and what are your goals?

Blown4v

Just Another Sell Out
Established Member
rotary engine and electric supercharger ftw, easy 6.50's

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
First question,

How much do you have to spend?

I can give you the all out list
The damm near all out list
The decent list
The budget list or
the really cheap budget list

Shangsta

Phat back
Established Member
:banana: I bought a 96 mustang that I plan on converting to a drag car only to run brackets at the strip. Not looking to build a 5 second car or anything just a car that runs a good time. I have a corbra engine to go in and I know I will need a diffrent rear end because this car is not even a GT. I am looking for ideas that you think work and most of all the ones that you have found to be a waste of time....throw out the Ideas please.

I thought sn95 up v6's had 8.8's. You need to establish a goal first and we can help you from there.

Shangsta

Phat back
Established Member
And i would add that you should spend more money and time on the suspension, wheel tire combo, then making power. And when the time comes if you need some help, just holler as i can bring the sn95 brigade from htown to help out

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
Yes it will be a bracket car and yes I know what I want to do....but only a fool will not seek advice from others that have been there done that..
Auto yes...barckets call for auto....its all about times. Do my homework...is not my question part of homework?
Engine is a 96 cobra with about 30K on it. As for goals...to low it costs to much...to high and its no fun so I am thinking between 11s to low 12s. I am just looking for what works on these cars so please keep it coming guys.

Blown4v

Just Another Sell Out
Established Member
And everyone stop trying to be funny.

ok, apologies.

Listen to the others, gain some knowledge, figure out exactly what you want. Understand that you can have a quick car with simple boltons and not need much knowledge or much of a plan to have fun.

Or you can build a brawler. Unless you just have gobs of cash to throw around for people to build it for you, you better have a serious plan and understand the effort and time/work involved to plan, build and maintain it and most of all, repair it. Also you need to understand the cost to OWN a car like that, the cost of owning it is totally different from the cost to originally build it. Good luck

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
Stampede3 love your answer....how about we go with the dam near all out list. As for what I can do myself, I have not paid anyone to work on my cars for 35 years and I have owned a cobra for more than 10 years so I know how much they cost to rebuild and have questioned why in the hell I would want to build a 4.6 to drag..

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
And i would add that you should spend more money and time on the suspension, wheel tire combo, then making power. And when the time comes if you need some help, just holler as i can bring the sn95 brigade from htown to help out

+1 here.

I would go auto.
Don't rule out keeping the 5 sp.

I have several trophies and semi finals with a 5sp but it takes a lot of seat time.
It is more fun though.

Hell I'm thinking 96 cobra motor, 125 shot 4.56s and trying a 2sp glide.

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
I do love the Idea of keeping the 5sp and a 125 shot seems like cheating but having said that I guess you could say an auto is cheating. Ok, suspension first, knowing how a stock hooks that makes sense.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
What price range are you trying to stay under?

That will help a lot.

And I was talking about my project with the 125 shot.

Stay NA if you want.

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
I am not trying to stay under anything. I dont want to run with fire suit, and fire suppresion but other than that I am open.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I am not trying to stay under anything. I dont want to run with fire suit, and fire suppresion but other than that I am open.

I'm refering to $$$

You could do a $400 rear suspension that will hook good or you could do $1500 suspension that will take whatever you throw at it now and later.

Then front? K=member?
Then tires/wheels?

I need a ballpark price range.

PM it if you wish.

SnkBitPny

Established Member
I thought sn95 up v6's had 8.8's. You need to establish a goal first and we can help you from there.

I believe the 94-04 v6's have the 7.5 rearend. I used to have one, and I'm pretty sure that is the case. Someone, please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
NP Stampede3...1500 for the back end is NP. I am thinking 10K or so in the long run. I am just looking to not waste money on something that is in the long run not going to do me any good. You know as well as I do that I can spend 50K and still have CAI in my sig and not accomplish anything.

Users who are viewing this thread