Building a car for our local 10.5 class

NITMARE

Established Member
Finally making headway on what will be used as the Nightmare Motorsports 10.5 race car for the 2010 season. The car is good friends Tom Nystrup. It's been a pretty standard street car since Tom has owned but is making the move to more race oriented. For those that don't know Tom he is the one guy that is my usual right hand man and vice versa. Tom will be piloting the car. And fwiw our local 10.5 class runs in the high 8's to low 9's consistently.

Tom handles the motor builds for the most part and I handle the fabrication and chassis work. Tom also handles having cars that run more then I do so that's why we are using his car. I'm not going to get real in depth with the specs on the motor but basically we're dealing with a big inch stroked Windsor in a 69 block, 11.5:1 compression, big solid roller cam, Edelbrock Vic. Jr heads and intake, and a Demon 850 carb. Power adder will be coming in the form of nitrous which is currently a simple plate setup.

HOWEVER, I have recently designed and patented a new nitrous nozzle that is for use with single plane carbed intakes (or retrofitted for EFI like the Spyders) that this car may see by Spring. I am going to be testing it out on the 69 first and if it looks like it's working out we will possibly try and get some race R&D done on this car.

Anyway, here's a few pics of that past weeks work. I fabbed up a sump for the stock gas tank that is complete and in the car. Got the Aeromotive A1000 and filters mounted and the -10 feed line and -8 return line rant to the Aeromotive regulator. I went ahead and did my usual smoothing and painting of the engine bay. Also relocated the fuse box in the fender well and all wiring. We also got the UPR k-member installed as well as a set of Cobra front brakes (ditched the ABS in the process). Tom has been keeping busy getting the motor all wrapped up as well as getting the battery box/cut off and nitrous bottle mounted up. Basically we are ready to drop the motor in at this point and fire it up. This winter I will be TIG'ing up a 12 point cage and possibly some mini tubs to really get the car hunkered down. Should have pics and vids of it running this week! Busy, busy,busy

2r40x7s.jpg

2nalf89.jpg

vyws1x.jpg

332ywjk.jpg

20gicjm.jpg

987xc1.jpg

2llgl8o.jpg

NITMARE

Established Member
This car will definitely be a little more "purpose built" so not quite as many cool touches but she'll get the job done!

My car is great. Just waiting on the custom cam and as soon it shows she'll be running again!

NITMARE

Established Member
I will at minimum have idle vids up in a few days. Should sound pretty tough.

408-COUPE

Established Member
looks great! just kinda wondering why your not goin with a dart block?? i know the 69's are the strongest castings and can handle alot but seeing is how this is gonna be ran hard every weekend with the spray and such.. it should go low 9's EASY with the small shot. cant wait to hear it

NITMARE

Established Member
looks great! just kinda wondering why your not goin with a dart block?? i know the 69's are the strongest castings and can handle alot but seeing is how this is gonna be ran hard every weekend with the spray and such.. it should go low 9's EASY with the small shot. cant wait to hear it

A Dart block is probably in this cars future after this one has served it's duty. Basically this was a simple matter of having the block sitting there so may as well use it and see how it does before dumping the big bucks.

NITMARE

Established Member
your going to run outlaw 10.5 with that motor?

Read what my first post says. Running a local 10.5 tire class. Not 10.5 "outlaw"....too very different things.

All mounted up. We're not sure yet if with the air cleaner on that it will clear the already 2.5" cowl hood or not.

2arfbl.jpg

28mig6o.jpg

k9df0j.jpg

NITMARE

Established Member
Here's a link to a vid of some of the regulars this past weekend.

[ame=http://videos.streetfire.net/video/CFR-1024-Un-Cut-2wmv_715353.htm]CFR 10-24 Un Cut 2.wmv - Car Videos on StreetFire[/ame]

Last edited:

NITMARE

Established Member
yea i just saw that... and the low 9 high 8 the class runs (WHoops)... im gunna guess its about 410inchs? just a single kit or is it a 2 stage plate? good luck man!

Yeah we would be sadly mistaken to run this little combo in Outlaw. You would be right on your cube estimate. We are setup for 2 stage if need be but going to start with a single and see where we're at.

As mentioned before I have a new nitrous nozzle getting machined right now as a prototype that will replace the current plate setup.

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
Yeah we would be sadly mistaken to run this little combo in Outlaw. You would be right on your cube estimate. We are setup for 2 stage if need be but going to start with a single and see where we're at.

As mentioned before I have a new nitrous nozzle getting machined right now as a prototype that will replace the current plate setup.

good stuff man... i just saw you were running 10.5 and jumped to pictures... and did a WTF what is he smoking... single kit small block and needs to run mid-upper 6's

good luck man keep us updated on it! and lets see these nozzles

NITMARE

Established Member
good stuff man... i just saw you were running 10.5 and jumped to pictures... and did a WTF what is he smoking... single kit small block and needs to run mid-upper 6's

good luck man keep us updated on it! and lets see these nozzles

It's pretty common. Everybody thinks of Outlaw when they hear 10.5 anymore.

I'll post the pics as soon as I have the prototype in hand.

And just cause I think it's worth mentioning here is what we started with....

fxuoif.jpg

f3zvbq.jpg

NITMARE

Established Member
The car fired up this weekend and it sounds GREAT! Literally started on the first attempt and idles really nice even with the aggressive cam. Also got the 3" X-pipe fabbed up and the 3" 2 chamber flow masters bolted up.

I finished up the wiring and loose ends today including getting the trunk completed. To keep things clean under the hood we mounted the MSD Digital 6 in the trunk on the bottom side of the rear deck. Mounted the Taylor battery relocation and Flaming River cut off switch also. The nitrous was already in the car before this build started.

Here's a shot of the trunk completed. I realized pretty quickly that having to make any adjustments to the MSD was going to be next to impossible without a flashlight so I mounted a small auxiliary light that comes on with the trunk lid light just above the box so the adjustment knobs can be seen in the generally dark pits at the track. A quick aluminum shroud was made and shot with some black paint and that was that. Also something I wanted to point out is that when it comes to an area with a lot of wiring like trunks (MSD, fuel pump relays, bottle heaters, etc.) I make sure to get the label maker out for all the wires in a bundle. It save myself headaches down the road not to mention is nice for anybody else that may own the car at some point.....you have to have bought a few basket case project cars to realize how handy having wires labeled is.

Anyway, here's some pics of the trunk...exciting I know. Gonna try and have at least some idle vids up in the next couple days.

2prio2q.jpg

jqkdvp.jpg

14e9ezc.jpg

This was taken at night....not bad
2n9ap7k.jpg

11lo11z.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread