Building a Boss 302 from scratch

AZBOSS

Established Member
FRPP just announced a new set of intake as well as exhaust cams for the B302/302R engine; you might want to look into these since you're doing a ground-up build.

Not much is known about the new cams at this point, but they could be worth some serious HP when teamed with LT headers, according to rumors from contacts at Ford Racing.

These are the PNs for the new cams:

M-6550-M50BINT*
Higher lift and longer duration for increased engine performance
13MM Lift/263° duration (stock 12MM/260° duration)

M-6550-M50BEXH*
Higher lift and longer duration for increased engine performance
13MM Lift/290° duration (stock 11MM/263° duration)

Jfoster

Established Member
I've been looking at those but it's $600 vs $1600. I'm not sure if I want to be the first to try them out :). There's another issue too - I MIGHT be using a stock GT intake....I know....My car has very low miles on it and I prefer the profile of the stock hood vs a cowl. It seems like the boss motor with the stock intake would make great torque but that also goes against the boss intentions... Anyway, not knowing which way I'm going on the intake makes me reluctant to start changing up the cams.

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
Thats pretty cool, and if u can build it for way less then 11g's then props to you.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
This is probably a shot in the dark, but does anyone know if the Boss cams will bolt onto a 96-04 Head?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yes obviously they are two different engine.. They are both 4V's though so I figured I'd ask.. thanks for the smart ass comment though buddy..

Jfoster

Established Member
^^ Negative. The heads are a different casting...and then there's the fact that the new ones are variable timing, sorry.

If you're looking for an affordable, better than stock set of cams for a 99-04 DOHC, check out the Ford GT cams from Tousley. I used them on my 03 whippled mach and they were great. You will need aftermarket valve springs as well.

Jfoster

Established Member
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G8h3IEJ7fE"]03 Mach 1 w/ Cobra setup whipple and Ford GT cams - YouTube[/nomedia]

Try to ignore the belt squeak - had a defective lower pulley kit.

Users who are viewing this thread