BUILDING A 306 with turbo need help!

DEMNSVT

Established Member
I am building a Turbo 306 and right now we have everything need, but I have make a choice on heads. The car is going to pushing about 20lbs from a large singel turbo. The turbo is all custom made for the car to spool up quick and still make 20psi at about 6000rpm. Basicly, The the 306 is a DSS custom made using a R-code block with billet crankshaft, forged dished pistons, and custom made billet rods internals. YES we did have some money to blow on this project car. Right now how it stands I have 4 heads to choice from, AFR185s,RPM2 heads which will be ported by me for max. air volicity into the cylinder. ALSO i have a set of Brodix heads, not sure bout size of them though they are pretty large though. And finally a set of iron Canfield heads that are also bigger then we need I think. ALL I know about the Brodix and Canfield heads is them came off a 347s making bout 500rwhp. So I also need advice on camshaft. The cam will determine wethier or not i am going to the make power I promised or not? So can someone please direct me in the right direction. I have built 6 306 soo far for friends and all of them put down around 350rwhp all motor. OH yeah the compression on engine with RPM 2 Heads is going about 8.3:1. AND the AFR Heads bout 8.4:1 and the Brodix i am not sure but much lower then that cuz they are have massive chamber sizes compared to the Edelbrock or AFR heads. SO can someone please help I got to deliver on my word that she'll make anymore from 500rwhp to 550rwhp. So we also already have a FORD Fast installed in the car and fuel system that will handle the power no problem. Please give advice so I can go in the right direct the car must be finsihed by Spet. 25 and broken in on a dyno before we go to the track 1 last time to run her!
Kevin
PS. can someone give me a idea of what she'll run, the engine is going a 89 LX, with fulldrag suspension, Welds, ET streets, and a totally gut interior.

DEMNSVT

Established Member
OK I have deicded to stick my the brand new RPM 2 heads the AFR 185 have a little bit of bump in the port and can't be ported out cuz they already been ported to the max be someone else so I am going to go with someone I can work with on air flow. AND also what MANIFOLD should I use thats something I am having trouble deciding. I know the RPM 2 flows big numbers, but is it too big for a 306? I built my friends engine with that manifold and he is losing some low end torque because of it. But it pulls like hell up top. Someone please help!
KEVIN

04Mystic

Supercharged what?
Established Member
Yo hold up slick......This is a *Turbo* car not a supercharged car so you need to re-think your thinking ........

First off you do not need these huge ass heads that your looking at. I have seen Dart SR's make well over 700-900 rwhp with turbo cars. oh that was straight out of the box that we ran those also....even a TFS TW heads will work fine and get you to where you need to be. As for a cam you could run a F303 or get a custom grind turbo cam... hell my buddys car with the Dart heads, we ran a box stock ford cam out of his mustang......also there is NO need to port the heads to like a stage 3 or whatever turbos will make power no matter what you run

Second, what size turbo is this and whos turbo kit is it that you are putting on this car ? as of Intake(s) is this EFI or a Carb car ? what gears does he have? what tranny does he have?

DEMNSVT

Established Member
Well the car is a old drag car so it has a C-4 in it already, but my main job is built the engine. I have heard and had good luck with the new Edelbrock Performer RPM2 heads, they are decide flowing heads and should make good power, on the porting, I am just trying to get the ports little straight down to the valves so we get good direct airflow in and out the cylinder. Well the intake manifold is undecided as of right now. The Kit is a Pro Turbo Kit. I was enlisted to build the engine and drop it in. The tuning is up the owner. I have found a local guy who is going to make me a custom cam, based upon what heads and manifold we are running.
Kevin

04Mystic

Supercharged what?
Established Member
Originally posted by DEMNSVT
Well the car is a old drag car so it has a C-4 in it already, but my main job is built the engine. I have heard and had good luck with the new Edelbrock Performer RPM2 heads, they are decide flowing heads and should make good power, on the porting, I am just trying to get the ports little straight down to the valves so we get good direct airflow in and out the cylinder. Well the intake manifold is undecided as of right now. The Kit is a Pro Turbo Kit. I was enlisted to build the engine and drop it in. The tuning is up the owner. I have found a local guy who is going to make me a custom cam, based upon what heads and manifold we are running.
Kevin

Okay.......so with that said what is it you want or need help on? seems like you know what heads your going to do and cam.... so now its intake? I still dont know if its EFI or a carb car.:rollseyes

DEMNSVT

Established Member
EFI car. I have enlisted some help from a friend who knows a thing about making power with turbos on mustangs. We have sinced almost finished the engine. I'll let you know what it makes next week on the chassis dyno.
Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread