build options.

war_machine92

Banned
if i do keep my car, i'm wanting to piece together a nice 393, low compression, boost loving monster. whatever it will make on 10-14 psi is fine with me. what do yall think of this block? 9.2" or 9.5" ??
Ford Racing Performance Parts

and these heads

Trick Flow® Twisted Wedge® Track Heat® 205 Cylinder Heads for Small Block Ford: TFS-51400010-C02 - trickflow.com

basically what i want is a pretty much bulletproof engine, daily driven street monster. could anybody help me out with picking out a cam, rotating assembly and all that?

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
scat rotating assembly is the only way to go, dont even think about buying Eagle, its junk. The TFS 205 heads are a good head and will work really well with a set up like this. As for a block, that block is good but you can get a dart block for a few hundred less and they will hold just as much power. Also something to consider, a stock 351W block will probably hold all the power you want (700-800hp) and is about a $1000 cheaper BUT you cant go wrong with a dart block and if your planning on running a big turbo@14 psi it may be close to maxing a stock block out so if it were me I would go dart. As for a cam, call woody at fordstrokers.com, he can hook you up with a cam specificy built for your set up.

war_machine92

Banned
scat rotating assembly is the only way to go, dont even think about buying Eagle, its junk. The TFS 205 heads are a good head and will work really well with a set up like this. As for a block, that block is good but you can get a dart block for a few hundred less and they will hold just as much power. Also something to consider, a stock 351W block will probably hold all the power you want (700-800hp) and is about a $1000 cheaper BUT you cant go wrong with a dart block and if your planning on running a big turbo@14 psi it may be close to maxing a stock block out so if it were me I would go dart. As for a cam, call woody at fordstrokers.com, he can hook you up with a cam specificy built for your set up.

thank you sir, very helpful information. i have looked more than a few times into the scat rotating assembly, its just a matter of doing up the math to dial in a low 8 compression ratio with everything. i would like the cam to be able to set it up for 3000 rpm to 6000, considering its gonna be a 393, dont need much rpm for power lol especially with a vortech feeding it. i've thought about maybe 2500 to 6000 but out on the streets, when do ya run somebody from that low? lol. just a view though, im still accepting any further advice and i will look into a dart block as well. so basically what you're saying is the new ford 351 boss block is jsut as strong or stronger than a dart block? i've been reading its quite a bit stronger, and with a nice main gurdle its pretty much capable of running north of 800 no problem. whatever is cheaper, but reliable in all aspects, i will go for it. can you tell me what would be better though,,, the 9.2" deck or 9.5" ??

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
A production 351 will hold over 800hp. A dart or frpp block will hold well over 1500hp so your really looking at a stout block either way you go and don't even waste your money on a girdle or main support system, the blocks are beefy enough to not need one even over 1000hp. As for compression if you go with scat guts they will come with probe forged pistons and if u go with the 33cc dish pistons and a 72cc combustion chamber head your looking at right around 8.3:1 if my math is right. You can safely run 16psi on pump gas at 8.5:1 compression with the proper timing and tune. I have been looking at a very similar setup so I've basically already asked these same question, lol. Check out corral.com and theturboforums.com, there is a lot of info to be had there.

Edit: My math was close. A 393 stroker with 4.030 bore -30cc dish pistons and standard .041 head gasket thickness. Compression is as follows based on head combustion chamber size:
58cc=9.06:1
61cc=8.82:1
64cc=8.60:1
68cc=8.32:1
72cc=8.04:1
Like I said above, there is no need to go under 8.5:1 and the TFS heads come with a 64cc chamber so that would put you at 8.60:1 which is as perfect as it gets. With the proper cam and the TFS 205's i would guess hp would be 650-700whp@ 14-16psi on pump gas. 650whp in a 3100lb car is good for mid 140mph traps. That's a monster on the street.

Last edited:

war_machine92

Banned
wow, awesome info once again man. that little chart you did up was exactly what i have been lookin for all over the internet. that helps a lot so i guess i'll go ahead and start putting some things together on paper to get this project underway. one thing i wanna do when i'm ready for the engine to be built, is basically have my whole front end ripped apart, K member out, cleaned, re`painted, new mounts, have all the wiring checked and re-done, tuck some of it away, cover up some of the holes and nasty shit in the engine bay and have that all re-painted too. from there, drop the new 393 monster in with my vortech S trim, probly go standalone computer, have the fuel system done and then start workin on suspension. lots of work in mind, and like i said before as long as i end up keeping it its definitely going to be a monster over some time.

war_machine92

Banned
ok this is what i done up on DSS racing as far as a rotating assembly. pricey, but STRONG which is what i would rather have.

Item Name: 393W Ford X5 Forged Rotating Assembly
Item Price: $2,724.95
Options:
Bore size:+.030" oversize bore
Small Block Ford Piston Choices:Dished -31cc, Inline & Twisted Wedge For use with most cylinder heads.
Piston Skirt Options:piston Coating Option
Kit Options:Upgrade to ARP 2000 rod bolts. recomended for Severe Duty and applications above 700 HP
Balancing Option:Computer Balance the Rotating Assembly to Racing Tolerances and Micro Polish the crankshaft.

war_machine92

Banned
it isnt SCAT, but looking all over the place for a SCAT assembly i havent had any luck, found many 393 assemblies but the way they are charted as far as piston dish volume i for some reason cant figure it out

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
it isnt SCAT, but looking all over the place for a SCAT assembly i havent had any luck, found many 393 assemblies but the way they are charted as far as piston dish volume i for some reason cant figure it out

ask and you shall receive. this is probe guts but I believe probe is a sister company of scat, not exactly sure, but its good stuff.
CHP Dominator Short Block - Ford 393W Reverse Dome -30.0cc

Call this guy (name is woody), he is the only person I will have build me a motor, the only bad thing about him is he is about 4 months back ordered on engines so be prepared to wait but it will be well worth it. Tell him mike from Denver Colorado referred you:beer:
FordStrokers.com 331-347-408-418-427 Custom Built Small Block Ford Engines

Last edited:

war_machine92

Banned
awesome, thanks. still one more thing though, on the ford racing 351w boss block, which would be better and why,,,, the 9.2" deck or 9.5" ?

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
oh,, i see now that that block is a dominator series, dart iron :) hmm... so thats a 1,000 hp capable setup by itself correct?

Its CHP's dominators series. The block itself is a dart iron Eagle block. There is no need to go with a 9.5 block. Stick with a 9.2. You can stroke a 9.2 dart block to iirc 442ci so a 9.5 is even more over kill. Plus you need to either get an aftermarket hood or lower the motor for the stock hood to clear a 9.2 deck motor so it would be even worse with a 9.5.

also something to consider. You can get a dart302 block and stroke it to 363ci, so you may be interested in considering that as well. Just tossing that out there.

Last edited:

war_machine92

Banned
sweet. im kinda thinkin my current hood would fit, its a cobra r style hood, like a 2.5" cowl but i was wanting a nice 4" so i could have plenty of room and have that "" because racecar "" status lol. me personally, i think a 4" cowl hood on a fox body looks NICE as long as the rest of the car has some stance. welp, looks like im into the next step of research, figuring out what i want as far as an intake manifold, throttle body, MAF, injectors, fuel rails, lines, pump, definitely want a T-56 magnum transmission and redo my gears AGAIN for 3.55's. alluminum driveshaft and strange shocks, upper/lower control arms, torque box re-enforcement, and maybe a better set of sub frame connectors. my current ones were done up kinda weird. just dont look right lol

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
sweet. im kinda thinkin my current hood would fit, its a cobra r style hood, like a 2.5" cowl but i was wanting a nice 4" so i could have plenty of room and have that "" because racecar "" status lol. me personally, i think a 4" cowl hood on a fox body looks NICE as long as the rest of the car has some stance. welp, looks like im into the next step of research, figuring out what i want as far as an intake manifold, throttle body, MAF, injectors, fuel rails, lines, pump, definitely want a T-56 magnum transmission and redo my gears AGAIN for 3.55's. alluminum driveshaft and strange shocks, upper/lower control arms, torque box re-enforcement, and maybe a better set of sub frame connectors. my current ones were done up kinda weird. just dont look right lol

Also, not sure if an S-trim would support a 393, might wanna call vortech and make sure but i would assume you'll need to upgrade to a T-trim.

war_machine92

Banned
if i remember right, if he was tellin me the truth, my buddies car, which had a monstered up 393 in it is what i took the S trim off of, and he said that he had it rebuilt with T trim gears. no way i can prove that though, but he had it on his car for a couple years, only drove it on nice days and wow, let me tell ya, that ****er was MEAN. wasnt a car in town that could **** with it lol. and if there was, they was too much of wimps to get them off the trailers or out of the garage to drive them around lol.

war_machine92

Banned
if i go with a T-56 Magnum trans, with 3.55's with this build and boost setup, what kind of powerband should i be hunting down as far as a cam and intake manifold? since the heads i want are good for 3,000 rpm to 6,500 would i be safe running a trick flow manifold for 1,500 to 6,500 ??? i dont want any part of it to be laggy down low but then again i dont want it to go ape shit as soon as i touch the gas lol. i definitely want the T-56 magnum though, more gear, sustain the RPMs and be able to hit higher speeds. the way mine is now with the TKO 600, i can only run to about 115-120 then i'm basically out bevause 5th is so retarded in terms of overdrive lol

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
if i go with a T-56 Magnum trans, with 3.55's with this build and boost setup, what kind of powerband should i be hunting down as far as a cam and intake manifold? since the heads i want are good for 3,000 rpm to 6,500 would i be safe running a trick flow manifold for 1,500 to 6,500 ??? i dont want any part of it to be laggy down low but then again i dont want it to go ape shit as soon as i touch the gas lol. i definitely want the T-56 magnum though, more gear, sustain the RPMs and be able to hit higher speeds. the way mine is now with the TKO 600, i can only run to about 115-120 then i'm basically out bevause 5th is so retarded in terms of overdrive lol

A 3:55 gear in 5th(1:1 ratio) should get you around 134mph with a 25" tall tire (average 17" wheel with 275/40 tire@6500rpm). Personally I would go with a 3.27 gear that way you can get over 140mph which is perfect for those 40-140 rolls which, lets face it is about 80% of the racing any of us do. As for intake I would highly recommend going with the Trick Flow 'R" intake (NOT the "box R" there 2 different intakes). remember you'll have a stroker motor so the low end will not be lacking. I had a carbed 408 (short runner intake being carbed) and low end torque was insane and since your running a blower the boost will be instant so yea, I dont think lack of low end will be an issue, lol. In all honestly your biggest "problem" will be the lack of traction at any speed under 60mph(thats with DR's).

This is what your talking about building. Your in for a heck of a ride, lol.
[ame=http://www.vimeo.com/6588650]The Haney Compilation on Vimeo[/ame]

Last edited:

war_machine92

Banned
omg... that is by far the best fox video i've ever watched! that thing is insane! runnin 9.6 lol. im scratching my head right now, and thinking to myself if i really do want that much power lol!!! OF COURSE I DO! i might not make THAT much power to run 9's but anywhere between 600-700 at the wheels is definitely what i want.

Users who are viewing this thread