Build Motor or 15-18 Shortblock???

chadder1313

Established Member
So that's the question I have. Do i build the current 14 motor i have, or do i search for a 15-17 shortblock or ,maybe the 18? Just putting a piston and rod in my motor sounds more cost effective but is it really? My plan is to go YSI and if i build my motor I am looking at the Weisco Boost line rod and piston. Any thoughts?

clinton2003

Established Member
a 15+ shortblock will hold 800 safely, a forged rotating assembly will hold 1000 in the 14 block.

Price out having it done locally by a reputable shop, usually you can get some h beams and pistons for around 1500, then the machine work and assembly will need to be done. Try to find a shop locally that has the torque plates for the coyote, as you cant bore/hone correctly without them, and around here, there is only 1 machine shop that has them.

I think the 15+ block is slightly stronger than 11-14 block, but not 100% sure.

i'd go the forged route, if you can find a cheap truck shortblock and build that (same crank as gt, boss, etc... just different balancing) then you can sell your good shortblock and recoup some money, or at least have minimal downtime.

chadder1313

Established Member
Yeah thats a good point. Im at 730ish rwhp with this motor and its only a mater of time before something goes. I really want to do it all myself. Id love to throw in a rod and piston in my motor and go to 1000 rwhp. 8s is the end goal until i think i need more.

clinton2003

Established Member
my stock 12 motor held over 800 hp with my twins for over a season, and still was in good shape when i pulled it for my sleeved motor...

If you ever thing you are going to upgrade to a bigger blower or turbo, then you may think about tossing sleeves in the block, (little over 2k directly done by Darton and RED) and some I beams, then you wont have to worry about anything.

Users who are viewing this thread