build date 08/02.....tick???

03CobraCCC

Wheaton Warbird!
Established Member
my door says the car was built 08/02...duz this mean that for a fact I have the tick?? It's hard for me to tell the diff. between injectors and a tick even in my garage..........
Any one have any new news on the tick recall???
Any info is greatly appreciated....

jshen

Established Member
I went to dealer today!

My build date was 9/02 and engine build date 8/02...My service manager was NOT AWARE of the tick issue and I handed him a copy that I printed from this site yesterday. He is my neighbor and a nice guy...and will, with his contacts, be able to tell me what's going on.

As for my car, he and I both listened and ..no ticking of any magnatude. He said it sounded like the injectors. I am hoping someone will post an audio/video of ticking sound and location for us.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
No it means it's POSSIBLE you have the tick.

Not every car built before the cutoff date is guaranteed to have the tick.

Self diagnosis:

Two easy ways to check after the car has warmed up to operating temp. AT IDLE

1. Idle next to a concrete wall such as a drive through with the driver's window down. You will hear it if you have it.

2. Kneel down just behind your driver's sideview mirror. You will hear it if you have it.

You can't miss it if you do one of those two and you have it. You seriously have to be deaf to not hear it.

Here's a thread that contains a sound clip of it:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21801&perpage=25&pagenumber=4

FROM that thread:

Originally posted by 03blacksnake
I recorded a sound clip of what the tick sounds like on my car.

Click to tick

I have a video of it too if anyone wants it, but the the size gets rather large (15+ MB) in order to keep the audio quality good.

Basically the audio clip is recorded first from near the Cobra emblem near the drivers side front tire. Then I move down to ground level in the same spot almost underneath the car. You can tell on the sound clip as it gets louder.

Anyway, I hope this helps anyone to try to diagnose if they have the tick or not. But, those of you that have it probably already know it without a doubt. I should find out tomorrow from SVT when I can expect my new head assembly to arrive. :nonono:

That is exactly what it sounds like.

Users who are viewing this thread