build advice wanted

KBR

Established Member
I know there are some threads already discussing this, but a lot of them are old.

I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on VMP TVS 2.3 that's on sale right now at TPS. I need to figure out if I can swing the budget.

What do I really need to make 600+hp on 93?
VMP TVS 2.3 w/GT500 TB
LPF/Afco HE
MAF (SCT or??)
60lb, 80lb
what for fuel? some guys just run BAP and modified FDPM....I do have a little PPRV issue in 3rd gear already...I just read about heated fuel and dead head return set ups. Lethal Budget? Fore L1? how to run and control pumps?
do I need rails?
Fore L2 would probably break my budget
If I do return would like the option of going E85 even though it is not available near me.
I have double bearing pulleys read to go
also have K&N FIPK, but don't know if I can/should use it
specific know combo recommendations wanted

current mods in signature

Last edited:

bigmoose

Established Member
most Terminator guys in my area go to Pete at Performance Dyno in New Hampshire
Definitely use Pete. Go with 80s since they are cheap and Pete can tune with them easy, it will also give you room for e85. Don't consider the lethal kit, quality and performance doesn't compare to fore. You won't need rails unless you want them for looks, stock rails will work fine in a deadhead setup.

SVT Hess

THE 3ND
Established Member
I know there are some threads already discussing this, but a lot of them are old.

I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on VMP TVS 2.3 that's on sale right now at TPS. I need to figure out if I can swing the budget.

What do I really need to make 600+hp on 93?
VMP TVS 2.3 w/GT500 TB
LPF/Afco HE
MAF (SCT or??)
60lb, 80lb
what for fuel? some guys just run BAP and modified FDPM....I do have a little PPRV issue in 3rd gear already...I just read about heated fuel and dead head return set ups. Lethal Budget? Fore L1? how to run and control pumps?
do I need rails?
Fore L2 would probably break my budget
If I do return would like the option of going E85 even though it is not available near me.
I have double bearing pulleys read to go
also have K&N FIPK, but don't know if I can/should use it
specific know combo recommendations wanted

current mods in signature

I went with ID1050x for e85 on my 2.3, but I’d go with whatever your tuner recommends. Definitely go return, I have the lethal kit and had no issues with it. I’ve heard good things about the fore return kits but have no personal experience with them. Maf also depends on tuner, I run a sct ba3000. Intake, JLT seems to be the way to go. I didn’t see a lower in your signature, do you plan on running upper only?

KBR

Established Member
I went with ID1050x for e85 on my 2.3, but I’d go with whatever your tuner recommends. Definitely go return, I have the lethal kit and had no issues with it. I’ve heard good things about the fore return kits but have no personal experience with them. Maf also depends on tuner, I run a sct ba3000. Intake, JLT seems to be the way to go. I didn’t see a lower in your signature, do you plan on running upper only?

re lower: I already bought the 3.2 pulley for my alternator...was going to run Metco 4lb with my 2.95 upper on my Eaton...have not bought the kit yet.
running the 4lb lower lets you run bigger upper for less belt slip correct?

Last edited:

SVT Hess

THE 3ND
Established Member
Correct, I run a 3.2/4lb on 93 and a 3.0/4lb for e85 and don’t have any belt slip. My stock lower bushings were shot and was causing a lot of belt squeal so it was a win win when I changed out to the Metco 4lb. That’s pretty sweet, I always wondered what two build numbers were around mine.

KBR

Established Member
Unless you guys talk me out of it....build is looking like:
VMP 2.3 w/GT500 TB 3.0 upper pulley...maybe 4lb lower?
80lb injectors
DW300 pumps and PPRV delete
Black306 modded FPDM
KB fuel pressure disc
SCT BA3000
JLT RAI
Pete for tuning

cj428mach

Established Member
It would be foolish to go with anything other than a Fore return fuel system.

A 4lb lower isn't necessary unless you're going e85, you should be able to get where you want to be on stock lower with a reasonable sized upper pulley.

If you're looking for a JLT RAI setup with a GT500 TB coupler and a bad ass MAF I have one I'm selling. I just went with a Whipple Crusher setup instead.
https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/vmp-100mm-maf-conversion-and-jlt-rai.1160769/

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this also but I'm not going to do return yet, I have modified fpdm, new maf and boost a pump and the pressure disc. going to get 80lb's though for now.

KBR

Established Member
It would be foolish to go with anything other than a Fore return fuel system.

A 4lb lower isn't necessary unless you're going e85, you should be able to get where you want to be on stock lower with a reasonable sized upper pulley.

If you're looking for a JLT RAI setup with a GT500 TB coupler and a bad ass MAF I have one I'm selling. I just went with a Whipple Crusher setup instead.
https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/vmp-100mm-maf-conversion-and-jlt-rai.1160769/

I will run the CAI and MAF by the shop doing the work and my tuner...message me a price shipped to 02702

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

fireman02

Established Member
Just had my gen2 2.3 VMP installed in Aug.
Mods:
Fms 60lb injectors
Gt500 t/b
3” upper only
JLT rai
Sct2600 meter
Arh 1 3/4” Lt’s w/ o/r 3” x-pipe
Afco HE
Kenne bell bap
On 93oct made 617hp & 549tq @ 17.5 lbs of boost on a very hot n humid day.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
VMP Gen1
Accufab
80# Inj
2.8 Upper
2.6 Upper (93/109 Mix)
LP Return Fuel setup
JLT/ Sct 3000
O/R X
Bassanni 3" Catback
No headers
635RWHP 589RWTQ Dyno Jet
Kurgan Tuned

KBR

Established Member
Thanks for the input everyone... keep em coming ....
what size pulley should I order for 93 pump gas tune? Shop recommends 3.0? Still have stock lower. Will hopefully have 2nd tune for 93 + Torco.. should I get 2 pulleys?

May go Accufab TB instead of GT500...have been told I’m not running enough boost to spend the extra cash....opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

KBR

Established Member
What do you guys think??? Need to start ordering the rest of my parts.
I don't have the budget for full return system right now....should I do the hat w/pumps?? then no PPRV delete needed???(correct me if i'm wrong)

going for 625hp on 93 pump gas...E85 not really an option right now

I'm not racing...just spirited driving to shows and cruise nights
doing blower for "cool" factor and adrenaline rush when I roll into it
some may say it's a waste of money doing a blower upgrade on my car
Build is looking like:
VMP 2.3 w/GT500 TB 3.0 upper pulley(delivered this week)
80lb injectors
DW300 pumps and PPRV delete
Black306 modded FPDM
KB fuel pressure disc
SCT BA3000
JLT RAI
Gords Heat exchanger(on order)

thanks to everyone for all the info on this site...has been a huge help

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
That looks good.

PPRV delete. Our pumps really aren't that terrible, but you need the boost-a-pump

I'm about to do all the same stuff minus what I have already.

Call a tuner now to get this on a dyno to make sure everything is good.

cj428mach

Established Member
I would cut out the heat exchanger, buy used injectors, intake, maf, etc and put every penny into the return system. You can always buy a heat exchanger after and it won't effect your tune, but changing the fuel system later will. I think a Fore return system can be had for about $1300 from a guy like @MalcolmV8, but its been years since buying one.

Also go 60's if not going e85.

Users who are viewing this thread