Buffer/Orbital question

d3m01iti0n

Slow Vehicle Team
Established Member
When I was younger I did detailing for a few years. I was taught to buff with a multi-speed buffer. Well, they basically grinders lol. But this is what Im used to and I do quite well with them. Wool pad for cutting, foam pad for polish, etc. But I know a lot of guys avoid them.

Now Im thinking about buying one for home and running a quick polish on the car. But I hear about a lot of ppl using orbitals. Are they any good for a polish? Ive only ever used one to remove wax and never thought it would be any good for a polish.

Opinions?

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
Your talking using a orbital like a Porter Cable? I use one and they work great for polishing, just they are idiot proof, lol. They are for the beginner since they won't destroy your paint if you sit in one spot but for that comfort they take longer to do the same job as a normal buffer.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
get one of the package deals off of autogeek.net
porter cable, pads, polishes, glazes, etc.....all for under $200
i recommend the Wolfgang package

danponjican

Established Member
Keep in mind the difference between an orbital (mostly for wax application and removal) and a DA (Porter Cable 7424XP, Griot's Dual Action Polisher, Meguiar's G110v2, etc.). An orbital will not have the power to correct surface defects like a DA would with the right polish.

Users who are viewing this thread