Buell 1125R?

VictorySong

Established Member
Anyone have experience with a Buell 1125R? Diesel prices have been hurting me and I was looking for something to commute in. The bike I'm looking at is a 2008 1125R and has 4,300 miles. It will be my first bike and was hoping to know what the cost of ownership was on these. It is listed at 6,500. What would be a fair price? How long do tires last on a motorcycle?:shrug: Do I have to wear those ugly suit things or can I just get a helmet for commuting? Any young owners know what insurance would be for a 20y/o?

:beer:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
:beer: If you want, I can drop by and check it out, take some better pics. I love these bikes and have been watching ads for awhile, not going to buy one though. My wife would kill me if I bought another toy.

VictorySong

Established Member
:beer: If you want, I can drop by and check it out, take some better pics. I love these bikes and have been watching ads for awhile, not going to buy one though. My wife would kill me if I bought another toy.

Thanks for the offer.:beer: I want to compare dollars and cents before I make my purchase though.

99GTvert

Established Member
My advice: You don't buy a motorcycle to save on gas, you buy one because you love to ride. $6500 buys a lot of diesel. Add in insurance, maintenance, FULL GEAR (it doesnt matter if you're commuting or racing, a crash is a crash and they get ugly. My analogy is to tell someone to get on the freeway, imagine they are going to open up the door and just jump out, then ask themselves if they want a little more than just a helmet.) and gas and you end up paying much more. That being said, I'm assuming you've never ridden a bike before, that is not a first bike I would reccomend. If you want to get into riding I would look into something like a dual sport dirt bike. Plenty of power for the street and the ability to go on the dirt where the learning curve is much higher. I am a much better rider because of a solid foundation on the dirt. Being 20 (I'm only 25 BTW)I imagine you are going to do what you want no matter what but at least get some solid gear.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
i am an absolute whore for anything with a the buell/EBR name on it, but i gotta be honest; be careful picking up an 1125R. they seem to be 'hit or miss' as far as reliability is concerned. H-D really ****ed this one up by rushing buell to shove it out the door, and it they never really got a chance to work out the bugs after it was released before H-D axed the brand.
having said that, they are absolutely awesome bikes if you get a good one! IMO, it's worth the risk - but, like i said, i'm a buell whore so maybe i'm biased...

Trbulnt

Established Member
I love my 1125R! With that said, they can have issues. The '08 and '10 models have less problems than the '09's. The biggest issues are Stator failure and clutch weep. Thankfully Erik Buell Racing has come up with solutions to both issues. The '08's tend to have the clutch weep issue which is the cheaper fix. Check out Buell Motorcycle Forums, Information, Tech Support, Photos, Performance Parts, & Advice - BadWeB for some great information on these bikes...and I will now whore out my bike..
Good first mods are an Erik Buell Racing ECM and a choice of a few exhausts which really smooths the bike out and gives you more power. Erik has different tunes for a few different exhaust setups. I would also suggest a Saddleman seat which really made the bike a lot more comfortable on longer rides from the stock seat.

DSC01519.jpg

DSC01441.jpg

DSC01032.jpg

1125R007-1.jpg

Last edited:

Trbulnt

Established Member
nice man! that thing is lookin MEAN in red!

Thanks! I let a good friend ride it last year and he just picked up an '08 a few weeks ago! He had owned a few GSXR's and ridden numerous other bikes. Claimed the Buell was like nothing he has ever ridden. Its so hard to explain to people how great these bikes really are. I cannot wait for Erik to release a new street bike that costs a bit less than the 1190RS. I want to also plug EBR for their first podium finish in yesterdays AMA race!!

VictorySong

Established Member
I love my 1125R! With that said, they can have issues. The '08 and '10 models have less problems than the '09's. The biggest issues are Stator failure and clutch weep. Thankfully Erik Buell Racing has come up with solutions to both issues. The '08's tend to have the clutch weep issue which is the cheaper fix. Check out Buell Motorcycle Forums, Information, Tech Support, Photos, Performance Parts, & Advice - BadWeB for some great information on these bikes...and I will now whore out my bike..
Good first mods are an Erik Buell Racing ECM and a choice of a few exhausts which really smooths the bike out and gives you more power. Erik has different tunes for a few different exhaust setups. I would also suggest a Saddleman seat which really made the bike a lot more comfortable on longer rides from the stock seat.

Nice bike! What are you getting for MPG? It isn't outlined in the specs so I'm guessing they don't rate motorcycles? I wasn't aware of the reliability issues and that is a major turnoff.

Trbulnt

Established Member
I get an average of low to mid 30 mpg with the bike depending on how I am riding. I have had zero issues with mine as well and am at 12,000 miles. I am a huge maintenance nut though an change the oil every spring after taking it out of storage regardless of mileage. Mine is a 2010 btw. Mine is due for a valve inspection as that is due at 12,000 miles and while not being the easiest thing to do can be done by the owner as there are some great write ups. I have learned that owning a Buell comes with a large group of freinds that will help you in any way they can. My biggest help is living 30 minutes from Erik Buells Shop! If you are looking for a more economical bike I would suggest a nice 600 or 750 inline 4 from one of the major Japanese manufacturers. If you want something unique and fun that you won't see all over the place than a Buell is for you.

SC2011GT

Til' The Wheels Fall Off
Established Member
I had one, an early 2008. I had ALOT of problems but it was awesome to ride when I wasn't battling electrical gremlins.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Thanks! I let a good friend ride it last year and he just picked up an '08 a few weeks ago! He had owned a few GSXR's and ridden numerous other bikes. Claimed the Buell was like nothing he has ever ridden. Its so hard to explain to people how great these bikes really are. I cannot wait for Erik to release a new street bike that costs a bit less than the 1190RS. I want to also plug EBR for their first podium finish in yesterdays AMA race!!
i have yet to ride a buell, but i think it might be my next purchase. just like you said, all i've read is that they are like nothing else, can hang corners with anything yet still have a comfortable riding position.
one of the new bikes EBR is working on is a dirt bike with fuel in frame and a rotax 450 single! i probably won't be in the market for one, but i'm excited to see that none the less!

BTW, make the TWO podium finishes:rockon:

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
1125R is my dream bike! It would be either that or an XB12ss:D If my commute(50 mile round trip) wasn't through such heavy traffic, I would have one by now.

A guy here at work has a Buell Ulysses and loves it.

Users who are viewing this thread