budget build up car

oneredstang

Established Member
alrighty fellas heres the proposition.... i have this car, and im looking to go 9s on 3500$....

there are a few stipulations to this that i cant list just yet b/c there are a few locals that dont really need to know just yet:evilgrin:

i got the car
gary williams carb
wolfe racecraft suspension
tubular k member
large amount of nitrous(if needed)
357 inches
cant specify on the heads or cam just yet

but does anyone think it can be done, im missing a few misc. parts but pretty much have everything and only have 2700$ thus far.... im missing a shifter and slicks

100_0676.jpg

100_0680.jpg

100_0682.jpg

100_0684.jpg

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
you've spent $2700, or have $2700 left. i think its impossible to answer this question not knowing anything about the heads, cam, tranny on the car.

oneredstang

Established Member
built c4 trans, some sort of good heads(just cant give that up yet), custom cam, and i have spent 2700$ i have 800 left to spend, i need slicks and a shifter and a few nuts and bolts but thats bout it....

so does anyone think it can be done?

LTHL SVT

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Your not being too clear on what you are exactly doing....The car has the motor already or what?....what are you trying to say is your spending $3,500 to go 9's? :shrug:

oneredstang

Established Member
i have everything but a few misc. parts and i have only spent 2700$ do you think i can get it in the 9s for 800$ more bucks?

1 Bad Snake

Established Member
Listen here bro.. i have a 9's car just like that one 1989 lx hatch! and i know what it takes to go 9's and with that car and that kinda budget i say NO WAY!!! I am going 9's on muscle no less.. And if you do get it to go 9's you will need a Wislon 2 stage manifold with at least 500 shot of nos! But good luck to you man we all need hopes and dreams!

LTHL SVT

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
oneredstang said:
i have everything but a few misc. parts and i have only spent 2700$ do you think i can get it in the 9s for 800$ more bucks?

So your saying you spent 2700 on the hatch there......And you want to know if you can buy the rest of the parts to make it run 9's with $800?

oneredstang

Established Member
you prolly wouldnt be saying that if i could tell you what heads and cam i had, sorry i just cant let that out just yet i want to run it b4 anyone knows everything about it

the money has been spent i just didnt have to spend it :banana:

does anyone know how to get back issues from bout 4 years ago from muscle mustangs? the car was in the magazine but not sure on the month

davidsk5018

Established Member
So, you post up a question but can't tell us any specifics, yet you want us to tell you what time you can run for $800 more? This makes NO sense to me.....we have no idea what you have done to the car, so there is no way we can say what the car will run.

oneredstang

Established Member
El Jefe said:
if you plan on going nines, might want to spend some money on a cage first!!

the cage will be after we see how the car is going to run, really the choice between an 8 or 10 point

im not asking what it will run.... im asking do you think i can go nines for 3500$ car and all?

DrYeRLiNt

Horse From Hell
Established Member
running a BIG shot, slicks, awesome suspension im going to say you'll get close. find some cars online with similar mods but maybe different size shots and see what they run? it will atleast give you a rough guesstimate

also.... STRIP the car as MUCH as possible. take out A/C, power steering, etc. lose extra weight wherever possible. Carpeting, wiring, window motors, etc etc etc

get the car tuned WELL, poor tune = poor times

whats the stall on the auto? it'll have to be atleast a 2800 stall IMO... you'll literally have to drive that car to pieces to get 9's, but it sounds like thats what you're aiming for.

i definately see you hitting 10's... but 9's is a big step.

Last edited:

oneredstang

Established Member
DrYeRLiNt said:
running a BIG shot, slicks, awesome suspension im going to say you'll get close. find some cars online with similar mods but maybe different size shots and see what they run? it will atleast give you a rough guesstimate

also.... STRIP the car as MUCH as possible. take out A/C, power steering, etc. lose extra weight wherever possible. Carpeting, wiring, window motors, etc etc etc

it will be a streetable car, but no ac or powersteering.... the guy assembling my motor went a 9.36 @ 144 on a real similar set up, he had a powerglide and i have a c4 trans.... he did that on a 200 shot :-D

oneredstang

Established Member
i have the wolfe racecraft rear suspension, im trying to decide on a tire though.... i want to do radials but i dont think they will last long enough to get the car tuned up right

DrYeRLiNt

Horse From Hell
Established Member
if you wanna hit 9's and you have a high stall.. you need slicks.

radials will net you good times... but they might not be enough. theres no such thing as too much tire...

my opinion would be MT ET Streets or full out slicks.

with that in mind...

goodluck! i'd like to see you hit 9's on that setup

can i ask what the compression is? and what pistons you have? forged i hope? forged crank/rods? basicly you can do 2/3 for cars- cheap fast reliable

you're going for cheap/fast so goodluck! hopefully it will be atleast fairly reliable.

Users who are viewing this thread