Buddy is looking at an 05 H.D

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
My friend is looking at a 2005 Harley Davidson edition F-350 with 59k. What is the life on the 6.0 with a tune exhaust etc. How much power is common with bolt ons? And does it have any stock issues that need fixed? Search function doesn't work on my phone, figured someone could answer his questions faster then looking them up, thanks!!

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
My friend is looking at a 2005 Harley Davidson edition F-350 with 59k. What is the life on the 6.0 with a tune exhaust etc. How much power is common with bolt ons? And does it have any stock issues that need fixed? Search function doesn't work on my phone, figured someone could answer his questions faster then looking them up, thanks!!

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Sn95Snake

Established Member
If you havn't all ready just look into the link that he posted above. You will find a ton of potential problems with the 6.0, its really a love or hate thing. Some people absolutely hate the 6.0 diesel others love it and would rather "bulletproof" it than buy any other type of diesel.

Dougdanger

Established Member
The 6.0 is very unreliable. One of my good friends is a freihoffer man and his 07 has ate 27 injectors and 5 turbos.... They have HPOP issus, egr issues, ficm issues, issues with the turbo vanes sticking, head gasket issues, etc. etc. its never ending.... run far and run fast

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Once a 6.0 is bulletproofed it's a good engine, as long as you keep up on your maintenance.

This. Your friend needs to read up. The 6.0L has some inherit issues. Research the engine and its issues, research the history of the truck. I got lucky with mine and bought it with 19k on it and immediately did head studs and a coolant filter. 52k and no issues so far, and my truck sees mainly stop and go traffic in DC.

Real2000CobraR

Powerstroke God
Established Member
The 6.0 is actually a great engine its poor maintenance that gives them a bad name. Exhaust, tune, intake basic bolt ons would put the truck around 400-425hp. The biggest thing with these trucks is making sure your fuel pressure is above 45psi. When it drops below 45 you will eat injectors fast. Ford came out with an upgraded blue spring mod for $60 that installs in the fuel pressure regulator which raises the fuel pressure to 65-70psi. That will cure the fuel injector issue. The hpop is hit or miss with them but mainly the sct fitting needs to be updated. There is nothing wrong with the turbos, they begin sticking because of people letting these trucks idle for long periods and not getting them warm once in awhile. You need to drive these trucks hard once in awhile. Also properly letting them idle out for 30seconds before you turn them off. Everyone wants to just shut them down after a long work day and the oil gets cut off to the turbo. Headgaskets have been the weak point on them because of clogged oil coolers. Installing a coolant filter and changing the screen on the oil cooler is the biggest fix to the problem. Also running a descent tuner like SCT and staying away from Bullydog, Edge, hypermax etc. These are great trucks but you need to do your homework and just take note of the common weak points. Its cheap to "bulletproof" these trucks before things pop. I have 3 in my fleight right now with no issues because of properly taking care of them.

Real2000CobraR

Powerstroke God
Established Member
Your friend needs to learn about the motor and he will have a nice truck :nono:

The 6.0 is very unreliable. One of my good friends is a freihoffer man and his 07 has ate 27 injectors and 5 turbos.... They have HPOP issus, egr issues, ficm issues, issues with the turbo vanes sticking, head gasket issues, etc. etc. its never ending.... run far and run fast

Users who are viewing this thread