broken upper control arm shaft bolt

3ohh2

Established Member
driving thru a hard turn i separated the rear upper control arm shaft bolt on the front passenger side of my stang. pop'd off loud as hell and the stang pulls all the way to the right and will not drive straight. tried to make a left, couldn't, shut it down. had to have it towed back . the upper arm is now hanging on by the front shaft bolt and now my spring is sitting about 20degrees forward.

i guess my question is how do I go about getting the threaded bolt shaft out? any technique to drilling it out... never done it before on something like this? has any body ever heard of this happening before?

I rebuilt the whole front end about 1500 miles and must have gotten a defective bolt because it is pretty thick and don't see how this could be the weakest part of the front suspension. The lower arm looks to still be sitting in place correctly so I think an upper shaft rebuild kit will take care of it, however, since i upgraded the front end to be stiffer, are there stronger bolts I should be using?

any other ideas on this?....... thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread