Broken Spark Plug Cylinder 4

4VFreak

Beyaaahhhh!!!!!
Established Member
Swapped out seven plugs then got to cylinder 4 and this happened when trying to remove the last one:

20150517_203625.jpg

Broke clean off right above the seat. So, what now? I would imagine that I will probably have it towed somewhere to have it taken care of but wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions. Any help greatly appreciated.

4VFreak

Beyaaahhhh!!!!!
Established Member
Maybe that Lisle tool that's used for the broken plugs in 3v engines would work.

Yeah, I thought about that, but not sure that the Lisle tool will take care of this. I think that tool is mainly for extracting the broken porcelain tip from the cylinder.

Quick Strike

Established Member
Easy-Out with a 12 or 6 point socket that fits the square end and a long extension with your ratchet. Be sure the piston is down the hole a bit. You are only out a few bucks if it does not work.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Yeah, I thought about that, but not sure that the Lisle tool will take care of this. I think that tool is mainly for extracting the broken porcelain tip from the cylinder.

It's for removing the sleeve that breaks off. The metal part of the plug is what breaks off from the rest of the plug. So the tool pushed the ceramic down and then grabs the metal sleeve.

big dad

Established Member
Easy-Out with a 12 or 6 point socket that fits the square end and a long extension with your ratchet. Be sure the piston is down the hole a bit. You are only out a few bucks if it does not work.

+1. Spray the threaded piece in the head with some penetrent and viola.

4VFreak

Beyaaahhhh!!!!!
Established Member
Thanks to everyone who replied with suggestions. I think that I am going to go the Easy Out / PB Blaster route. I am going to get the fluted kind for pipe extraction, like this: Irwin Extractor

I'll report back with results.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I would suggest to break another plug just like that to have that piece in hand to fit a easy out properly. .

hate to put 1 in to small and have it fall through. ..

4VFreak

Beyaaahhhh!!!!!
Established Member
I would suggest to break another plug just like that to have that piece in hand to fit a easy out properly. .

hate to put 1 in to small and have it fall through. ..

Yeah, I was going to do exactly that; put another one in a vice and torque it until it snaps or whack it with a hammer.

4VFreak

Beyaaahhhh!!!!!
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread