Broken Shift Fork?

Bigg Slimm

Established Member
Has anyone broken a shift Fork in their tranny, if so did you have to replace the entire thing or just the shift fork?

On a side night, what problems does a broken TOB cause and what are the symptoms?

hedstrosity

take the BLUE pill :)
Established Member
what are your symptoms?
mine is being replaced as we speak. i noticed excessive clatter and vibration in the clutch pedal, sometime it would be pretty damn violent. well the shift forks being replaced, clutch, throwout bearing, and some other stuff, cant really remember....

whats your car doing?

Bigg Slimm

Established Member
car isn't doing NOTHING, literally. It will NOT go into ANY gear at all. It's as if the car is in nuetral. Their isn't in rattling or anything, it's as if the vehicle is sitting still nuetral.

Ystang99gt

Established Member
Does the car go into gear like it used to?? Also, does the rpm and mph go up as if the car was moving but the driveshaft will not spin at all??

Bigg Slimm

Established Member
Originally posted by Ystang99gt
Does the car go into gear like it used to?? Also, does the rpm and mph go up as if the car was moving but the driveshaft will not spin at all??

I don't think I quite understand your questions but i will try my best to answer.

I can move the shifter as if I'm selecting a gear but when I let the clutch out it's as if the car is still in nuetral and the rpms just rise. Mph doesn't go anywhere b/c the car is stationary.

Also it was stated the driveshaft has an inch of play in it, which I was told could be b/c the shift linkage is broken.

Ystang99gt

Established Member
The reason i asked you that is because your symptoms are exactly like my car was when my output shaft broke. The car felt great it went into gear with the same pedal feel and the rpms and event the mph went up but the car would not move. When i passed by to pick up my car the tech showed me that the output shaft where the shaft goes from it smooth machined surface (kinda like billet finish) to the teethed region the grabs to the driveshaft had a clean cut. It was like someone had a saw and cut the shaft perfectly. The tech told me it was impossible for me to break this unless i was on slicks and drag launching the car and my halfshafts actually held up.

If you have the car try and take the driveshaft of and see if the output shaft comes off. As in my case it just slid out. Its worth a try. I hope this helps.

Bigg Slimm

Established Member
yeah, I believe my half shafts are fine also. I will try this and see. I take it that, if the output shaft is broken then I need a whole new tranny, correct?

Ystang99gt

Established Member
Basically the tech told me that the tranny is so new that they really haven't started making replacement parts for it so Ford swallows the bill and orders a new on every time. I personally find this hard to believe but hey i am not going to complain because i have a brand new tranny in my car and it did not cost me a penny (besides the new clutch, input shaft, but that was my doing :) )

How did it break on you if i might ask?? Mine broke in the track on a none powershifted first to second shift on the f1's

vipergts281

Established Member
Originally posted by Ystang99gt
Basically the tech told me that the tranny is so new that they really haven't started making replacement parts for it so Ford swallows the bill and orders a new on every time. I personally find this hard to believe but hey i am not going to complain because i have a brand new tranny in my car and it did not cost me a penny (besides the new clutch, input shaft, but that was my doing :) )
I believe this is true. My shift fork broke and Ford gave me a brand new tranny under warranty.......they said it couldn't be fixed, so they ordered a new transmission.

fr03cobra

Established Member
My problem is getting into first and reverse. Ford is replacing my tranny tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread