Broken Ribs

cobra_matt

Established Member
Anyone ever had broken ribs? If so, what did you do to treat them? I'm pretty sure I have a broken rib on my left side. I was sparring with an amateur MMA fighter last Thursday and was sore the next day (didn't feel broken though, just really sore). Then on Saturday, I went to a concert and when I got home, they hurt a lot more and am pretty sure there's a rib that's broken now. It's bruised but never got swollen.

I wrapped my torso with some ace bandages to prevent movement of my ribs. I didn't want to go to the doctor for him to tell me they're broken and perform the same treatment as what I'm already doing myself. So my questions for the people who have had broken ribs before:

1. What were the symptoms you had (difficulty taking deep breaths, painful to move in certain positions, etc)
2. Did they get bruised, swollen, or both?
3. How did you treat them?
4. How long did it take for them to heal?
5. Is it really necessary that I go to the doctor?

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Brusied but not broken, go to a doc asap, if your rib is broken in the right place it can be extremely dangerous, as in puncturing your organs. Not good. Go see a doc and let us know.

gump

aka jamz
Established Member
get checked bro.

I had a rib removed in surgery on april 29th but I can't tell a difference. Broken one has to be worse than one professionally removed in surgery.

dooberGN

Established Member
Go to a doctor.:bash:

o-rly-house.gif

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
Broken ribs - MayoClinic.com

By Mayo Clinic staff

Broken ribs
A broken rib, or fractured rib, is a common injury that occurs when one of the bones in your rib cage breaks or cracks. The most common cause of broken ribs is trauma to the chest, such as from a fall, motor vehicle accident or impact during contact sports.

Many broken ribs are merely cracked. While still painful, cracked ribs aren't as potentially dangerous as ribs that have been broken into two or more pieces. In these situations, a jagged piece of bone could damage major blood vessels or internal organs.

In most cases, broken ribs usually heal on their own in one or two months. Adequate pain control is important, so you can continue to breathe deeply and avoid lung complications, such as pneumonia.

cobra_matt

Established Member
You guys are right, it is best to go see the doctor. I'm super swamped at work and don't have much time to go to the doctor, but if there's a chance of one of my organs getting punctured I guess I have no choice haha.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
See a doctor. You most likely cracked or bruised a rib or to. There really isnt much you can do about it. Its gonna be a long 4-8 weeks.

I cracked 2 ribs on my left side when i was 15. It wasn't fun and all I could was suck it up

s_x_i

Established Member
1. What were the symptoms you had (difficulty taking deep breaths, painful to move in certain positions, etc)
2. Did they get bruised, swollen, or both?
3. How did you treat them?
4. How long did it take for them to heal?
5. Is it really necessary that I go to the doctor?

I got 3 of my ribs broken by a spinning heel kick sparring, it hurt like a mother****er!

1. Yes... painful breathing, really hard to get up out of bed from laying down to standing up.

2. Yes, both.

3. Ice for the swelling, bandages and patience.

4. About 6 weeks until I could train comfortably

5. Probably not.

divided

Established Member
I broke a rib when I was younger trying to jump a dirt jump on my bike on the way to school. I couldn't take deep breaths and it hurt like a mofo for a while. Being the stupid kid I was and afraid of getting in trouble I never did anything about it. It healed fine but you can feel it and see it when I lay down. Its like a big bone lump. I know now that was a stupid decision, but when you're 17 and used to taking spills, you learn to live with it.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I had a similar incidence a while back. I had gone out to the bars with some of my buddies and one of them [big guy] picked me up later in the night and gave me a bear hug. I woke up the next day with a pain in my left rib area. I never really thought too much of it. It hurt to lie on my side, getting out of bed, and to breathe sometimes etc. I figured it may have been broken or bruised after a couple of weeks of pain. It eventually got better though. :shrug: It'd take intense discomfort to make me deal with the doctor's office.

Users who are viewing this thread