Broken rear swaybar...

JJ1997PGSVT

Established Member
I was on my way to work yesterday morning and heard a banging noise near the rear. Got to work and after daylight looked under the car and saw that the rear swaybar was broken on the passenger side. Has this happened to anybody else?? I took it off when I got home, welded it back together and so far its holding. Thinking about a bigger rear bar and was wondering if the aftermarket ones will last.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
lol try a search ;) The new ford ones are stronger, and if you wanted you could get an aftermarket ones. The stock ones break where it goes from solid to hollow I believe.

Myzticsnake

Savage
Established Member
You WANT the rear swaybar for drag racing, it keeps the car going straight under heavy load. Beefier the rear sway bar the better.

If you want to remove one, id remove the front to get better weight transfer.

badblacklx

Established Member
You WANT the rear swaybar for drag racing, it keeps the car going straight under heavy load. Beefier the rear sway bar the better.

If you want to remove one, id remove the front to get better weight transfer.

You can remove it and install an anti rollbar like this:
ARB-1-3.jpg

Myzticsnake

Savage
Established Member
Sway bar on steroids. How does a setup like that work on the street? I can imagine things could get wierd in corners.

badblacklx

Established Member
It is not a corner carver with it by any means but it didnt act funny unless you tried to blast a curve lol. I had one in my 03 cobra.

workmangc

Stay away from SHM.
Established Member
Thinking about a bigger rear bar and was wondering if the aftermarket ones will last.

OP,

Just a word of caution on mixing and matching suspension components; Sway bars are designed to work in conjunction. If you upgrade to a different stiffness, my suggestion would be to also go with that manufacturers corresponding front sway bar as well.

While those who know what they are doing can mix parts, I wouldn't do so without expert advice.

Users who are viewing this thread