broken plugs

99GTtony

Rain city stanger
Established Member
Buddy of mine took his car in for a 'tune up' at a local shop. They broke 2 of the plugs. They are getting the extraction tool tomorrow to finish the job. BUT, they are telling him there are no other choices for plugs other than the ford ones. I know there has to be another company making plugs that don't break. Anyone? Brand and part #'s would be a huge help.

Thanks

99GTtony

Rain city stanger
Established Member
the S197's are notorious for this problem. have to do the change with motor cool, use chemicals, let it sit for awhile before even attempting to remove them. I warned him beforehand that it was a possibility.

Franchi

Established Member
I've been researching this exact issue as I'm getting ready to change mine. I checked with two tuner shops and both said use either the Motorcraft or Brisk. Both are one piece and won't break. Brisk is def more expensive ( about $150 for set ) but worth it. I think I'm going to go with the Brisk set....

Thump_rrr

Established Member
For people who are less informed there is a tsb out with the proper removal procedure.

mms://multimedia.ford.com/seopts/Tech26_250k.wmv

Search for tsb 08-07-06 since I can't attach the file here.

Also by using nickel anti seize compound on the shield of the plugs you will prevent them from getting stuck and breaking.

Brisk makes a 1 piece plug design but reviews are hit and miss.

STRK BY

RIDE THE LIGHTNING
Established Member
Thinking of getting a GT for another car........

Anyone know for sure what year Ford revised the heads to stop the carbon buildup that was causeing the 2 piece sparkplugs to get stuck and break off..I thought I heard it was 07.....:shrug:

Are the New Motorcraft plugs one piece now..?

STRK BY

RIDE THE LIGHTNING
Established Member
Anyone know anything for sure....kind of a critical buying point for me.......:shrug:

TCSoff

I'm watching
Established Member
If you are careful they won't break. I changed mine at 60K miles with no problems. I used a torque wrench, set to 35lbs IIRC, to make sure I wasn't putting too much stress on the plugs. I used a little bit of carb cleaner to break up the carbon deposits.
I was so relieved after I was done as I've heard a few nightmare stories. Also you want to be careful when removing the coil packs as the contacts seem to come off if you just pull them off. You have to work them back and forth a little.

Edit: BTW I replaced them with Autolite HT1's and put anti-seize compound on the thread.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread