broken idler pulley? shelby done maybe...

jazz

Established Member
Is my shelby done? Engine done? Last night when i left work i was driving normal then at a red light i hit it 1st gear and then it made a loud ass noise thought i had a flat tire or something but when i opened the hood this is what it looked like. One of the idler pulley broke Is this something that can be fixed? Engine prolly has to come out? Any advice what's happening here... I recently got done modding the car too and this shit happens now. Very frustrating, Spent a lot of money on it. I don't even wana keep the car anymore.

[/COLOR][/FONT] jxYL23o.jpg

H45DZvs.jpg

7EzX9lz.jpg

VaQmJn7.jpg

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
No, the engine does not need to come out. But you'll probably need to replace the front cover. Never seen this one before.....

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Were you running the stock crank damper? And when you installed the blue belt did you happen to see if the tensioner was in the normal operating range? I'm just wondering if the belt was winding up/down when you were accelerating/decelerating and if the tensioner was maxed out (or near it) in terms of available rotation and the entire accessory system was overstressed.

Van@RevanRacing

As you can see in the picture the front cover is simply cast. That location has broken on a few engines but it is not a common occurrence. You'll need a new front cover and some install time but otherwise there really isn't much that can be done to prevent this from happening other than making a billet front cover but that would be outrageously expensive.

Sorry for your trouble OP but your motor shouldn't be harmed in any way.

Van

heatsoaked12

Established Member
You probably don't want to hear this but while the front cover is off, you may want to upgrade the lower sprockets to a billet set.

tvspower

Established Member
Van when you say there really isn't anything to prevent this, then what actually causes this? It is wrong angle of idler or is it heat related? Just wondering if this is a known weak spot? thanks

jazz

Established Member
yea was running stock crank damper. this wasn't a bad install or anything, i have pushed the car before too and didn't happen before. i am running a small pulley on the supercharger and shop suggested me to go bigger upper pulley and smaller crank pulley.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
The video posted above inside the engine compartment with an 2 step is crazy, looks violent on the tensioner. Kind of scares me cause I have an 2 step waiting to go in this winter.

jazz

Established Member
definitely i will keep you guys updated with the situation. shop is suggesting me to run bigger upper pulley and running a 10% lower and they r trying to figure out what caused this. timing cover will have to be replaced now.
however when this pulley and belt was installed the tech did say that they had a hard time getting the belt on because it was a little tight.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
To me that's a bad idea on a single key crank, just fix what you have and as mentioned it's a rare situation.

definitely i will keep you guys updated with the situation. shop is suggesting me to run bigger upper pulley and running a 10% lower and they r trying to figure out what caused this. timing cover will have to be replaced now.
however when this pulley and belt was installed the tech did say that they had a hard time getting the belt on because it was a little tight.

Users who are viewing this thread