Broken idler pulley boss help!

04owmach

Established Member
In the process of putting new lash adjusters in my cobra and since i had it tore down i noticed the bearings on both idler pulleys were shot. Bolt came out timing cover just fine but the bearing would not come off the cover. Like an idiot i started to pry on it with the slightest pressure and POP! After i looked at the broken off part the person who put it together last used loctite on the inside diameter of the bearing locking it to the cover. anyways end rant and heres a picture. its the really bright white boss to the right of the tensioner assy
IMAG0265.gif

Next winter i plan on doing a build on the car and will replace the cover but wondering could i make a press in bushing that will press into the bearing and then thread into the cover. by the way i have a t trim on the car so im going to go ahead and guess that its not going to work but dont really want to tear this thing all the way down yet.

CJK440

Established Member
I suppose you could pop the boss out of the old pulley, put it in the new one and bolt it on. All you are doing is relying on the bolt to keep it from moving tho. Can you drill, tap and install a stouter diameter bolt?

04owmach

Established Member
The way I see it is the bearing uses the boss to keep it incpostion so I believe its going to have to have a shoulder of some sort to register for the Id of the bearing. I'm a machinist by trade so I think I can make something work for temporary. Gonna ask the engineer at work tom but keep the ideas and comments open I'm all ears

Users who are viewing this thread