broken half-shaft, removal/install tips?

wjfawb0

Established Member
Hey all, broke my driver's side half shaft at the CV joint next to the differential today at the drag strip. I got into some wheel hop trying to clean the tires off before racing and snapped it.

Anybody got any info on how to get the broken one out and the new one in? The part I am most worried about is how the half-shaft is connected to the differential.

Tomorrow my cousin and I are going to tear into it and pull the broken one out. We got the breaking on video, I might post it on the net soon, but it is nothing special. You can see the band off the boot shoot across the ground when it breaks. Fun fun.

Well, if any kind soul has a good link to some info or any helpful advice, please PM me or let me know something. I would appreciate it. The cobra is my daily driver so I have to work out something to get home in. Thanks,

-Jason

wjfawb0

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. That site will be very helpful. I was able to purchase a new half-shaft last night at midnight. I hope to get it in next weekend.

-Jason

Silver 03 Cobra

That is Joe Lynch's website. He is very helpfull if you run into problems. I've used his instructions the first couple of gear swaps I did. I've done so many I can do one with my eyes closed and I finally broke a HS last fall. My first one.

wjfawb0

Established Member
UPDATE:

We pulled the broken half-shaft in about 30 minutes. Surprisingly, it is very easy to do. I expect to get the new shaft sometime next week and my cousin and I should be able to install it in less than 30minutes.

I used Hot Rod Harry's instructions (from modularfords and svtperformance) and Joe Lynch's web page ( http://www.lx.net/jlynch/pumpkin.htm ) to remove the shaft. Steel City (from svtperformance) sold me a spare half shaft. :)

Here are some pics from the car:

half_shaft_broken.jpg

half_shaft_broken2.jpg

half_shaft_broken3.jpg

half_shaft_broken_cv_joint.jpg

Pushing the half shaft out of the hub and rotor:

half_shaft_puller.jpg

half_shaft_removing.jpg

half_shaft_removed.jpg

I'll post pics of the half_shaft replacement next weekend.

-Jason

ModsAway

Established Member
Another subscription!! On a side note hopefully I will never need this information!!!

wjfawb0

Established Member
I have had the car about 6 months. The car has been pullied since 4500 miles were on the odometer. It now has ~17,750 miles on it. Currently, the dynojet SAE numbers are 458rwhp and 467rwtq. I have only been to a drag strip with it twice.

My mods are:

2.9" RR pulley
100mm metco aux. idler
K&N CAI
Borla Stinger catback
KB subframe connectors
MM irs bushings
steeda differential bushings
triax shifter
17x10.5 replica wheels
315/35-17 nitto 555r drag radials

I think wheel hop from the first four times in the burnout box that day helped do in the half shaft. Hopefully the line lock I have on order will help out with that.

-Jason

1994ta

i wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't warranted.. His car is modified a little and putting out that extra power Ford might not want to fix it. I've always hear that a pulley will void your warranty..

wjfawb0

Established Member
UPDATE: My cousin installed the new half shaft and is taking the car for a test drive right now. It sucks being 300 miles away from my car right now. Good to hear it is back together and running though.

Steel City sold me his spare shaft, since he has installed a solid axle. Thanks again Steel City.

We got the car onto my cousin's trailer(in the dark) and he hauled it to his garage with his F350 (that ran a 15.37 at the track that day). We got it on the trailer with about 5 people pushing it. One person actually split my third brake light while the were pushing. Going to order that soon. They actually pushed my car and got it moving, once moving I was able to let out the clutch and the car moved under its own power to the trailer. When I got to the trailer we pushed it up on the trailer. Actually half way pulled off the chin spoiler and bent back the heat exchanger slightly. I'll be replacing it soon though, so no worries.

I never even thought about warranty. I wouldn't want everybody else paying for the part I broke, while racing, with a modified car. I pretty much figure my drivetrain warranty is voided, and I wouldn't try to get anything warrantied that I feel I am responsible for.

-Jason

Last edited:

trey193

Established Member
I wonder if the DSS bars, boots and clamps package for $549 would have prevented this failure?? I am thinking about ordering them this week. Just wondering people who have them does it look like the they would have addressed the part that broke here??? Great pics by the way!!!!!:)

Users who are viewing this thread