Broken half shaft. Need Advice

dragon40k

Established Member
Hey all. Just got back from the track. Everything was going fine till the right half shaft snapped on the final run. Wheels started hopping and the shaft went a snappin. (i should have left off faster) best run 13.008 at 109.68 by the way. (bone stock) What I'm curious of is if anyone has had this happen (i'm sure there are some) and what you did to get it fixed. Warranty or otherwise. I'm hopeing warranty but you never know. If they suspect anything they might give me a really hard time. Thanks.

svt99rag

Established Member
My cousin called me tonight from the track and said he just snapped his (03 cobra) shaft on his first run right off the line. let the clutch out at 2000 rpm and the car didn't move, I think something was wrong with it anyway b/c he said he had a bad vibration and a humming noise when he drove it. Those shafts should be able to hold up to that. his car probably has under 2,000 miles on it too.

Last edited:

Cobra03FLA

Titties & Beer!
Established Member
You cant just dump the clutch with the stock tires. You have to slip the clutch out or it will hop and snap the axle. (ive broken one also) By the way dragon congrats on the 13.00 not bad for stock first time out :thumbsup:

Last edited:

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
get it fixed under warranty, then send them to DSS and have them replace the stock shaft w/ one of theres.
They also harden the CV's and repack w/ synthetic grease.
This is all for $650 and you wont have to worry about it ever again.

Unless you make 600+ wrhp and want to run slicks on a weekly bases.
Then buy the DSS level 5 1/2 shafts

Sonic03inSC

Established Member
Originally posted by BEATNGU
get it fixed under warranty, then send them to DSS and have them replace the stock shaft w/ one of theres.

Where can I get more info on this?

dragon40k

Established Member
Originally posted by BEATNGU

I was thinking of something like that. I want the warranty fix so I can drive the thing and then I was going to look into something that would help prevent it from happening. Is there a website? DSS on google got me defense crap. Lesson Learned the hard way I guess.

03RedCobra

Established Member
Do a few things before you take the car into the dealer for warranty work on that problem....

Take off the rear wheels one at a time and get rid of all the rubber that is probably up in the wheel wells from being kicked up at the drag strip. Also, looker further back from the wheel well, that rubber gets EVERYWHERE !!! If they see a ton of rubber, they will start wondering.

Also, if you have worn away the back tires quite a bit from drag racing, or even spinning on the street, either get a new set of tires or rotate them to the front so there isn't much tread worn away on the back tires. Folks in here have had problem with parts not being covered due to that because of "Abuse of the vehicle".

Kiddk1

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL
Established Member
Originally posted by 03RedCobra
Do a few things before you take the car into the dealer for warranty work on that problem....

Take off the rear wheels one at a time and get rid of all the rubber that is probably up in the wheel wells from being kicked up at the drag strip. Also, looker further back from the wheel well, that rubber gets EVERYWHERE !!! If they see a ton of rubber, they will start wondering.

Also, if you have worn away the back tires quite a bit from drag racing, or even spinning on the street, either get a new set of tires or rotate them to the front so there isn't much tread worn away on the back tires. Folks in here have had problem with parts not being covered due to that because of "Abuse of the vehicle".

good advice:thumbsup:

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
I dump the clutch on stock halfshafts on slicks at 5000rpm + never had any problems.

Wheelhop is what kills these things...if you hop alot on the street first time you throw some sticky rubber down and try to leave at the track you have some issues.

I would throw another stocker in there, and just me more careful

grnenvy

Established Member
I run consisant low 11s and race every weekend up in Philly for the last two years and haven't broke one yet. I think you guys have to learn how to ride the clutch out.

TargeT

Established Member
clutch doesnt matter, like broke said, dont wheel hop

I drop my clutch @ 5500ish on slicks, no spin, all go, 21,000 miles of fun and the stocks are still solid

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
Originally posted by broke7
I dump the clutch on stock halfshafts on slicks at 5000rpm + never had any problems.

Wheelhop is what kills these things...if you hop alot on the street first time you throw some sticky rubber down and try to leave at the track you have some issues.

I would throw another stocker in there, and just me more careful

Yea, But you are the king of launching w/ out wheel hop.:rockon:
Your the reason SVT wont give us better 1/2 shafts in 2007;-)

87FOXGT

Established Member
ive been DUMPING the clutch at 5500 on my 315 bfgs at the track and no probs either!

like everyone else says wheelhop = bad mmmkayy

dragon40k

Established Member
Thanks for the help. I'm going to the dealership today for some face to face. I had it dropped there friday but there was no rubber on the wheel wells because I didn't do any burnouts with it before I ran it. I did rub the tires off though because they were sticky as hell from the track. I cleaned the windows too but other than that I don't think there should be much of a problem and if there is I guess I'll just suck it up. Plus I'll learn how to ride that clutch better so it doesn't happen again becuase I can't see them fixing it twice.

03RedCobra

Established Member
Like most people have said on here, and that is that wheelhop is what breaks things on these cars. The parts that we have on the cars are still pretty good and strong, but, what kills us is that Darn IRS !! You get a hopping with that dang thing, the wheels hop independently, and the stress and force pretty much gets magnified by about 10-fold !!! Of course things are not going to hold up then !!

So, if you get ANY hint of wheel hop on the street or strip, let go of the gas, push in the clutch, and rest it for a second or two !!! You may blow the run on the strip, but that's better than breaking something !!! Dropping tire pressure helps DRASTICALLY on the wheel-hop issue as well !! Even with the street tires, you can drop the pressure down to the high-teens while on the strip. I bet you won't get ANY wheel hop if you do that !!

whippleblown03

Established Member
i just put on drag radials and i dont get much if any wheel hop now. i always got out of it when playing around in first gear because it would start to hop. i wont be driving with drag radials all the time but if you are going to the track i would get another set of stock wheels off e-bay and a set of drag radials for the ocassional drag racing.

Users who are viewing this thread