Broken emergency brake cable bolt to lower IRS control arm; options?

cartec

I don’t want to be on this site anymore
Established Member
The driver side bolt snapped off when I tried to remove it. The passenger side came out easily. It looks like the bolt is not going to come out no matter what I’ve tried. I was thinking of drilling a second hole and tapping that one for a new bolt to connect the emergency cable. Or should I just buy another lower IRS a arm? The part number on this one is XR33-5K637-AE-LH-1. From what I can tell, the part number for the 03/04 cobras is XR33-5K637-AE-LH-2. Is there any difference other than the part number? What are my options? Thanks for the help in advance.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I broke the bolt on my passenger side bolt back in 2015. I zip tied it with the intention of getting to it later. Three years later I'm still using a zip tie with no issue.

I wouldn't go as far as ordering a new arm. Maybe try spraying it with penetrating oil over a few weeks and then see if you can back it out with a left hand drill bit.

shurur

Established Member
If this is just the little loop bracket that holds the emergency cable to the LCA near the spring cups on the arm, then just use a big honking tie-wrap run through the hole in LCA spring cup.

The 1999 cobra doesn't even have the bracket on the rear LCAs at all..that's what most of us 1999 guys do...tie wrap them.

Originally the emergency lines were left loose...I think it got fixed on the 2001 cobra (1999 cobra fixed) or maybe not until 2003 terminator.

3/8" or 9mm tie wraps can be had for cheap at Walmart.

Last edited:

scottydsntknow

Established Member
I zip tied mine. Its a non issue. DO NOT drill another hole in the control arm tho. That's just asking for structural issues with it.

Dave.O

Established Member
I drilled and tapped the first one that broke. The next two I just zip tied... 3 yrs of track abuse later and the zip ties are holding up. Zip tie = shade tree mechanic's best friend

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread