Broken Clutch Cable

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I found the source of my ever increasingly difficult clutch effort. The cable was broken at and inside the firewall adjuster. Pedal effort has gotten harder and harder over the past couple of weeks, but now that I have swapped it out, it explains why it was so difficult to shift all the way back to the MM&FF Shootout that Jaime and I attended.

Lesson learned -- If pedal effort is increasing, pull your clutch cable out and inspect it for issues. Until it finally broke several nights ago, I couldn't see this damage. Had I taken the three minutes to pull the cable out months ago, I would have found it.

Factory cable with Steeda firewall adjuster, quadrant and SPEC clutch = excellent feel!

I won't ever put another aftermarket adjustable clutch cable on my car.

IMG_3474.jpg

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
Factory cable with Steeda firewall adjuster, quadrant and SPEC clutch = excellent feel!

I won't ever put another aftermarket adjustable clutch cable on my car.

how long did ure aftermarket cable last? did u install it with all the right firewall pieces? and wat brand name was it ? steeda? spec?

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
This cable was in the car for less than a year. I do not remember the exact brand of the cable (probably Steeda), but yes, I had all of the right Steeda firewall pieces.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
i broke a bbk adjustable one in about 7 month's time. the stocker was put back on ever since and is still holding strong.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
i had an adjustable on my previous 01 that came with the package of quadrant, adjuster, and adjustable cable from UPR...in about 3 months it was acting weird so i pulled it out and it was about to snap right by the quadrant...NEVER had an issue with the stock cable...

Bl4ckedoutc0bra

Established Member
The EXACT thing happened to me with the same hardware. I was in 3rd gear going 50-60 and the cable snapped... I was in gear, no clutch and screwed. :(

Glad to see you're ok.

-Aaron

CAMELEON

Established Member
I was downshifting to come to a stop and the stock cable on my 96 Cobra snapped. I was about 10 miles from the house and had to shift without the clutch the whole way home. The toughest part was getting it into 1st gear to go slow enough to pull into the garage, up on the ramps and pop it out of gear and slam on the brakes. I put in the Steeda kit in, but it sounds like another cable replacement will be in my future.

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
CAMELEON said:
I was downshifting to come to a stop and the stock cable on my 96 Cobra snapped. I was about 10 miles from the house and had to shift without the clutch the whole way home. The toughest part was getting it into 1st gear to go slow enough to pull into the garage, up on the ramps and pop it out of gear and slam on the brakes. I put in the Steeda kit in, but it sounds like another cable replacement will be in my future.

+1, it always seems like every couple months I have to adjust the Steeda cable because it gradually gets "tighter" - my thing is to have a backup factory cable just in case I need to swap them out. Gonna order one real soon, don't trust the Steeda cables. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread