Broken Camshaft bearing cap

Sleepinbeauty

Established Member
As some of you may have noticed I'm rebuilding my '99 Cobra Engine. The build had originally started with my '04 Mercury Grand Marquis that I was going to a double overhead cam swap to and eventually supercharge. During that time I found a set of 03/04 heads for the swap and I purchased them. When I found this '99 Cobra (why I'm now in this 'awesome' forum) with a spun rod bearing, I diverted my attention to rebuild it's engine and I decided to place the cylinder heads on that vehicle. Right before, I purchased the Cobra I had the heads pressure tested after I purchased them online. They checked out good, but when I received the heads back from the machine shop (to hold on to until I had all my parts together) they had ran a wire through the camshaft bearing caps to keep them together. I remember looking at the idea of wire looming the caps together and thinking "why not take 5 extra minutes and replace the caps with the bolts back on the heads loosely?" Yesterday, to my dismay I go to collect the heads from my shed and clean the cap bolts and I find that a cap on the driver's side head was broken. I feel like I should have done a thorough job looking the caps over before receiving them back but "damn" come on. Luckily, I got on eBay and found this driver's side head:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231863695325?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

View attachment 70493

Last edited:

Sleepinbeauty

Established Member
IMG_1791[1].JPG

01yellercobra

Established Member
Had something similar happen to a buddies 2v. He was able to get the bridge tig welded back together. Although research showed that the piece between the caps wasn't really needed.

Users who are viewing this thread