Broken bolt - advice on quality extractor

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Last night my buddy and I swapped out a broken (on-chassis) motor mount on his wife's 2012 Fusion. The swap was straight forward, but I shouldve suspected we had excessive running torque when installing one of the bolts. I'm looking for advice on where to buy a high quality set of extractors, and any reliable tips which the Google may have overlooking.

Signed,

The Shamed One

nxhappy

Established Member
not that bad of a deal

goto lowes or home depot, buy a tap set. Tap it out on the next size up, bolt it in.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
not that bad of a deal

goto lowes or home depot, buy a tap set. Tap it out on the next size up, bolt it in.
Italy is not known for handy hardware stores, so I'll likely buy online. I have to drill out the old bolt too IF I'm going to go that route....

nxhappy

Established Member
my apologies I did not see you are in Italy ...

to answer your question....yes you will have to drill out the bolt. Then you will have to use a tap set and tap the new threads. With the new threads you can use a new bolt. There is no other way around it if the bolt has been stripped into the threads.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
The bolt snapped, so I'm hoping to be able to extract the broken piece, vice drill and tap to the next size. When the bolt snapped there was a decent amount of torque being applied and am uncertain if an extractor will work, or if I have to go draconian....

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Advice, don't break an easy out off in your bolt.

Lol... When that happens, it's always followed by excessive cursing and maybe a thrown tool or two.

I have had success with using a vibrating etcher (the same ones you mark your initials into tools with). Press them onto the bolt and it often backs it out as the vibration loosens it.

Easy out kits work as well without needing to retap bigger. Also had success with a tool called "vampliers" . You need some bolt sticking out to grab though.

You can also try applying some heat if it's accessable to a torch.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Advice, don't break an easy out off in your bolt.

This is the most important advice in here. Make sure that easy out has one hell of a bite on it. Also, extract it by hand, don't try to use the drill to spin it out.

Drill with reverse-twist bit.

This too. I broke a bolt off on a fly wheel once and when I went to drill it I realized it was spinning the bolt further in, I spun the drill bit in the other direction and it pulled it out. Sometimes it can be a bad bolt and it just pops the head off and it's not actually tight.

DJAMiller

Established Member
If there's any of the bolt sticking out Knipex Cobra pliers and a torch always do the trick. The pliers teeth are angled like a pipe wrenches so they really bit into whatever your grabbing. It either gets the bolt out or shreds it trying to get it out but they never lose grip, best pliers ever. If there's nothing sticking out get yourself some left handed drill bits in the size you'll need for your extractor and drill it, half the time the heat, vibration, and pressure from the drilling extracts the bolt on its own, if not a good extractor and a torch is needed. Spiral extractors work well as long as you haven't drilled the bolt too thin, otherwise they can actually wedge in there and expand the bolt enough to make it even harder to pull out. Irwin makes good extractors, they actually make the ones for Snap-On. If you have anything sticking out a hammer and a chisel will normally work as well, hit it at the top at an angle to try and twist it out. Once the bolt moves its normally game over and you can continue with traditional means of removal. Be sure to use lots of penetrating lube and don't be afraid to heat the surrounding areas if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread