Broken belt tensioner?

austin21

Established Member
So i have been wanting to take my procharger off to inpect a oil leak. I cant think of anything that would leak oil behind my procharger, as its just pulleys. The valve cover is not leaking.

I've never replaced a serpentine belt or anything before but it looked easy. I have been scratching my head to figure out how to un-tension the belt. Realized the guy who worked on my car last must have broke the head off the bolt to the tensioner. Can anyone confirm?

Ended up cutting the belt since it was a little messed up anyways. This is what i found.

unnamed.jpg

96dreamer

Established Member
Your assumption is correct. That pulley gets a small bolt threaded into it to tension with. Looks to be sheared off at some point. Here's a picture of mine with the bolt in place that I made

Attachments

• 20230602_151159.jpg
    20230602_151159.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 22

austin21

Established Member
Your assumption is correct. That pulley gets a small bolt threaded into it to tension with. Looks to be sheared off at some point. Here's a picture of mine with the bolt in place that I made
Thanks! i figured so. I was able to remove the tensioner so i am ordering a new one now! Pretty shameful the guy i paid to work on it last time did this. Nobody else ahs worked on it since and he put a new belt on it after re-sealing my procharger...

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
If the shaft seal is damaged on the procharger it can leak out between the case and blower

austin21

Established Member
If the shaft seal is damaged on the procharger it can leak out between the case and blower
i removed the head unit off the car, letting it sit overnight on the counter.

I noticed oil build up on the back of the unit, so i assume its coming from the pulley?

Only info i have from what the other guy replaced was "Front and rear seal"

Here is a pic. Its a pretty slow leak whatever it is. I saw i can get a new seal for the pulley for like $23.

Attachments

• IMG_2160.JPG
    IMG_2160.JPG
    383.4 KB · Views: 19

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
i removed the head unit off the car, letting it sit overnight on the counter.

I noticed oil build up on the back of the unit, so i assume its coming from the pulley?

Only info i have from what the other guy replaced was "Front and rear seal"

Here is a pic. Its a pretty slow leak whatever it is. I saw i can get a new seal for the pulley for like $23.

i would wipe everything down to be sure - not sure by your post - are you saying with it sitting on the counter oil appeared? If so I'd say safe to assume that seal is bad.

any time you remove the pulley you should never pry on it, rock it etc. I made that mistake as well. Just use a heat gun and that'll usually loosen up. Another reason I like my griptech quick change hub.

austin21

Established Member
i would wipe everything down to be sure - not sure by your post - are you saying with it sitting on the counter oil appeared? If so I'd say safe to assume that seal is bad.

any time you remove the pulley you should never pry on it, rock it etc. I made that mistake as well. Just use a heat gun and that'll usually loosen up. Another reason I like my griptech quick change hub.
No, I removed it off the car to inspect. Seems like all the oil was behind the bracket where the pulley is. It’s sitting on the counter and no oil has leaked yet. I assume the leak is happening with tension on the pulley or the spinning of the pulley.

Going to order a new seal . Attaching a pic here that might be helpful

Attachments

• D95CF819-2981-4BAF-A19A-F50A8D0DC942.jpeg
    D95CF819-2981-4BAF-A19A-F50A8D0DC942.jpeg
    385.8 KB · Views: 15

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
No, I removed it off the car to inspect. Seems like all the oil was behind the bracket where the pulley is. It’s sitting on the counter and no oil has leaked yet. I assume the leak is happening with tension on the pulley or the spinning of the pulley.

Going to order a new seal . Attaching a pic here that might be helpful

the unit is also under more pressure when at operating temp and running but ya, looks like the likely culprit if you dont see any source of say engine oil leaks and the belt is slinging it around or something

austin21

Established Member
the unit is also under more pressure when at operating temp and running but ya, looks like the likely culprit if you dont see any source of say engine oil leaks and the belt is slinging it around or something
Nope, no other leaks anywhere else. Where it’s mounted the only place that could leak is the valve cover and there are no leaks there! So pulley most likely needs a new seal!

austin21

Established Member
Have you ever changed the pulley seal?

Wanting to know if these steps are accurate, and if i need to drain the oil just to replace the seal...

...1. Drain the oil and remove the bracket and head unit from the car. Be very careful to remember exactly where every spacer goes.
...2. Remove the head unit from the bracket.
...3. Using an impact wrench take the pulley nut off and remove the pulley. If I remember correctly there is also a pulley spacer.
...4. Using a small common screwdriver and a hammer carefully tap the blade of the screwdriver into the old leaking seal being careful to not scratch the housing or the shaft.
...5. Twist the screwdriver and the old seal will pop loose.
...6. Oil the new seal. This is very important. If you do not oil the center hole in the seal the shaft will burn the seal and it will leak.
...7. Carefully align the new seal on the housing and gently tap it in making sure it goes in straight, that all sides go in evenly. You don't want to get it canted or crooked because it could damage the seal. I used a small flat board to make sure it went all the way down into the housing.
...8. Put the pulley spacer, pulley and pulley nut back on.
...9. Mount it back on the bracket
...10. Mount it back in the car and add oil.

Badaz01

Established Member
So i have been wanting to take my procharger off to inpect a oil leak. I cant think of anything that would leak oil behind my procharger, as its just pulleys. The valve cover is not leaking.

I've never replaced a serpentine belt or anything before but it looked easy. I have been scratching my head to figure out how to un-tension the belt. Realized the guy who worked on my car last must have broke the head off the bolt to the tensioner. Can anyone confirm?

Ended up cutting the belt since it was a little messed up anyways. This is what i found.

View attachment 1840218
The seal on your procharger pulley might be bad. Mine went bad and my procharger leaked oil in that area.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Have you ever changed the pulley seal?

Wanting to know if these steps are accurate, and if i need to drain the oil just to replace the seal...

...1. Drain the oil and remove the bracket and head unit from the car. Be very careful to remember exactly where every spacer goes.
...2. Remove the head unit from the bracket.
...3. Using an impact wrench take the pulley nut off and remove the pulley. If I remember correctly there is also a pulley spacer.
...4. Using a small common screwdriver and a hammer carefully tap the blade of the screwdriver into the old leaking seal being careful to not scratch the housing or the shaft.
...5. Twist the screwdriver and the old seal will pop loose.
...6. Oil the new seal. This is very important. If you do not oil the center hole in the seal the shaft will burn the seal and it will leak.
...7. Carefully align the new seal on the housing and gently tap it in making sure it goes in straight, that all sides go in evenly. You don't want to get it canted or crooked because it could damage the seal. I used a small flat board to make sure it went all the way down into the housing.
...8. Put the pulley spacer, pulley and pulley nut back on.
...9. Mount it back on the bracket
...10. Mount it back in the car and add oil.
Those are the correct steps. As long as the blower is flat I don't see why you'd need to drain the oil.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
i didnt change my seal, ended up sending back to procharger for other stuff at the time.

the pulley torque spec is out there. I believe I put my bracket in a vice to hold everything up, a strap wrench on the pulley and was able to torque to spec no problem

austin21

Established Member
i didnt change my seal, ended up sending back to procharger for other stuff at the time.

the pulley torque spec is out there. I believe I put my bracket in a vice to hold everything up, a strap wrench on the pulley and was able to torque to spec no problem
Looks like 40 ft lbs for P series. Shouldn’t be too hard!

austin21

Established Member
Had to get a propane torch to get the pulley off but i got it done! The guy who replaced it last time definetly did not seat it correctly....

Also got the new belt tensioner on. Now time to mount this thing back on the car

austin21

Established Member
3A830D83-EF2D-489A-A4CF-DD2EA1A13843.jpeg

Unrelated to the OP but anyone know what these vac lines are for behind the passenger side glove box?

The black one comes from the engine bay. I assume HVAC? White wire goes to some silver thing behind the glove box also.

Just double checking my vac lines.

52merc

Established Member
Those vacuum hoses are for the HVAC system. The white hose is connected to the Inlet Air Door actuator. There are two other vacuum actuators, one for Panel/Defrost and one for Floor. There is a fourth door for temperature control, but this is cable operated.

Users who are viewing this thread