Broke the Drive Shaft at the Strip Today...

en89vo

Established Member
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE-2i7K6Az0"]YouTube - Ford Lightning Broken Drive Shaft[/nomedia]

lvgolfer962

Established Member
that sucks man but it could have been worse. time for a ds loop, jlp makes one that takes maybe 10 min to install

en89vo

Established Member
Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed because I was actually really close to getting one a month or so ago...I really didn't know that I had enough power to do that! How do the high horsepower guys not do this more often?

lvgolfer962

Established Member
i was thinking the same thing when i looked at your list of mods. any pics of where it broke? it might of had some previous damage and today was the day:shrug:

the cometary was amusing lol, i would of been dropping f-bombs all over the place

Last edited:

en89vo

Established Member
PC030012.gif

PC030009.gif

lvgolfer962

Established Member
hmm, was expecting it to be body of the driveshaft. i suppose after years of that u joint banging against aluminum flange yoke it gets weak and gives out

which one are you going to go with next
carbon fiber
steel
or the same

Last edited:

en89vo

Established Member
I'm not sure which kind I'll buy to replace it. Probably another aluminum one and a loop. I haven't seen any steel ones and when I was looking at cf ones it looked like they still have aluminum ends on them so it wouldn't really prevent this problem (uneducated opinion)...I couldn't find much by searching here or on google.

ChrisDeluxe

Established Member
I would take a stock aluminium and a loop. Carbon is ass expensive and as you say, they have aluminium ends too. I think it is not allday to broke the drive shaft, so a loop for safety and rock on.

castellscl

Established Member
One of the biggest reasons they break is when you don't have traction bars of any kind.

They typically break due to axle wrap.

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
One of the biggest reasons they break is when you don't have traction bars of any kind.

They typically break due to axle wrap.

100% correct. Watching the video it is obvious you got wheel hop on the launch. That will potentially break the driveshaft of a stock Lightning. Tha problem is not the aluminum driveshaft, the problem is wheelhop. At your power level a set of Lakewood slappers are all you needed to prevent that from happening.

en89vo

Established Member
Might be a silly question guys, but is drive shaft install as easy as it sounds/looks? Anything I need to know or any reason I shouldn't do the work myself?

Tazman1

fast is not fast enough!!
Established Member
Pretty much a simple bolt in Process...just have to make sure you get the bolts torqued right. Be care full about leaking trans fluid put of the tail shaft...

Users who are viewing this thread