Broke my rear end today, please help.

04silversnake

Established Member
I need you help as to what to tell the dealer what happened. I was driving it hard and when i went to shift from 3rd to 4rd, I missed and put it to 2nd gear. The rear girdle broke. It has a hole in it and the differential fluid came out. I find it hard for the dealer to buy it if I tell them it just happenned from normal driving. I need them to cover under warranty. What is your input on this, or better yet, if anyone has had the rear end covered under warranty, what explanation did you guys tell the dealer.
thanks in advance.

04silversnake

Established Member
I got it brand new, only mods are k&n drop in filter, borla catback, Nittos and predator performance tune. I think i should get the Nittos off to avoid any hassel from the dealer saying I broke it from using drags, what do you think?

DocHolliday01

Established Member
i take it they are dr's?? if so yeah i would take them off other than that i wouldn't think they could prove you were just tearing the hell out of it "obviously driving it hard" maybe just tell them you downshifted from 4th to 2nd at highway speeds?? im not sure ive not had to deal with any mechanical problems with my gt yet . sorry not much help good luck with it though

cobravenom39

Ballz to the wallz
Established Member
With your mods you should be fine. Just tell them you were out for a spirited drive and the rear end broke. If you take off the Nittos they really have no way of proving anything. Its a race car, and they know it.

cobravenom39

Ballz to the wallz
Established Member
With your mods you should be fine. Just tell them you were out for a spirited drive and the rear end broke. If you take off the Nittos they really have no way of proving anything. Its a race car, and they know it.
You should also develop a relationship w/the same service advisor you take your car to all the time. Pay to have the dealer do the service. That's what I did, and I had a lower idler pully, and a brand new T56 put in my car, with a dumpload of mods-Under fact warranty.

04silversnake

Established Member
should I mention it was a result of the shifting? that way they check for anything else damage like the tranny? will they say it was my fault if I mention it?

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
Just take off the DRs and tell them you accidently shifted into second on the highway and heard something break. You should be fine like everyone else said with your mods.

projekZERO

Werd
Established Member
dont tell them it was a result of shifting, at honda where i work, thats how so many s2000 motors get grenaded and people actualy do say yeah i downshifted into the wrong gear and boom, and no they dont get it covered. just tell them you were drivng and it broke, u heard a bang and that was it. they will know whats up but the point is they have to prove it. and if u admit u screwed up then they have proof. i would return the car completely to stock to just to make it more hassle free. dont give details just say u were driving and boom, thats it.

Last edited:

jimwood

Established Member
I wouldnt tell them you hit the wrong gear...thats seems like driver error. Right? I have heard of other car manufactures not covering the engines when kids hit the wrong gear force a redline and blow the engine. You may want to just say shift 2-3 or 3-4.

scotto

Established Member
I would also make sure that you dont have any rubber inside the wheel wells that would indicate hard driving and they may say that it was damaged due to abuse.

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
Definitely TAKE off the NItto's. Tell them you were getting onto the highway while accelerating hard and went into the next gear, 3rd when you heard a noise under the car. You pulled over to find differential fluid leaking. You should not have a warranty problem.

umustdv8

Established Member
Originally posted by projekZERO
dont tell them it was a result of shifting, at honda where i work, thats how so many s2000 motors get grenaded and people actualy do say yeah i downshifted into the wrong gear and boom, and no they dont get it covered. just tell them you were drivng and it broke, u heard a bang and that was it. they will know whats up but the point is they have to prove it. and if u admit u screwed up then they have proof. i would return the car completely to stock to just to make it more hassle free. dont give details just say u were driving and boom, thats it.

I agree. I would take the DR's off and just take it back and say you were just driving it and it broke. Don't admit to any wrong doing.

Chas

Established Member
Take the DRs off, be vague don't give them anything to use against you. I would not tell them it happened on a down shift. I would just say, I shifted into second and it broke and leave it at that. If their looking for something to use against you you will know it. Good Luck

04silversnake

Established Member
well, this morning im getting my DR's off. I will tell them that I was driving it broke. Thanks to all of you for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread