Bringing back old cars

LOLasaurus

Established Member
Am I the only one that thinks certain car companies could stand to make a good chunk of money if they brought back certain models at a reduced price and optional warranty?

I say optional warranty because certain cars were desired for their mod ability. Most of these cars, if brought back into production, wouldn't stay stock for a week after being sold.

MarkIV Supra
03/04 terminator
R34 Skyline (the one before that auto only POS)

Hell I'd jump on the opportunity to buy a brand new 0 miles terminator, even if it did cost more than a used one with 70k miles that might have been driven by a 17 y/o

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
that would be cool. i've always though it would be cool if Ford started making mustangs that have the same exact body as the first gen mustangs. except new interior and beefed up modular motors. i don't see any reason why they wouldn't be able to do it

Thrust

Established Member
While it is not a bad idea, the OEMs would never do such a thing, as it is too much money involved and they would never turn a profit from doing so. The best suited outfits to do that type of retro production would be a smaller specialty manufacturer. If they could get a hold of the tooling for the body panels and unibodies, I could see these type of cars being built on a per-order basis. The down side is that they would probably cost twice what the original vehicle msrp was.

LOLasaurus

Established Member
That sure as hell would be nice, have a 1st gen reproduction with a mod motor

But I'd seriously be willing to pay in the 25-30k range for a reproduction supra or termi.

I MIGHT be able to understand why ford wouldn't want to bring back the termi, or nissan the r34 gtr as these "reproductions" might cut into sales of their current models

But toyota has NO reason to not bring back the supra, the 94 supra is still a good looking car plus they don't even have a car in that category.

LOLasaurus

Established Member
While it is not a bad idea, the OEMs would never do such a thing, as it is too much money involved and they would never turn a profit from doing so. The best suited outfits to do that type of retro production would be a smaller specialty manufacturer. If they could get a hold of the tooling for the body panels and unibodies, I could see these type of cars being built on a per-order basis. The down side is that they would probably cost twice what the original vehicle msrp was.

It shouldn't be too expensive. This isn't like the 1st gen reproduction mustangs where a company had to track down and buy the tooling then set up shop. By law a manufacturer has to continue making parts for cars 10 years from its last model year. This law is to prevent auto makers from giving you the shaft when a new model comes out and tell you "Sorry we don't make parts for your car anymore."

That means Ford will have the tooling and facilities to build a complete 04 cobra up until 2014. I believe nissan made the GTR up until 02 but since it wasn't sold in the US the 10 year thing doesn't apply. However im sure Australia and Europe have similar laws. Just last year toyota could destroy the tooling for the supra so i dunno if they still have it.

Last edited:

boduke0220

Established Member
i wish they could bring back the 68 GT with the 390...but with todays emissions and saftey shit it'd never pass

jtcreasy

Established Member
ive thought about that several times when they changed the mustang in 05. Buick G.N., Mazda RX7 TT would be nice. Even a remake of the mid 80s monte carlo SS would be nice imo

solidsnakesvt

Established Member
There already is a company that makes old camaros and mustangs with new vin numbers for people to restore. You just have to get interiors, motors, etc.

deannyc

Str8
Established Member
Like someone else said it would cut into their new vehicle sales heavily, especially when your talking enthusiast vehicles
Besides your taking resources away from new technologies and advancements, so it may be a two sided coin.
Hell yea it would be awesome, but what would motivate them to apply R&D to outdo the old models. If the older models sold just as well.

In the case of the Supra, its a no brainer imo.
Do I a limited run with updated suspension/interior, sell it for a bag of money. Only produce on a per-order basis, and its a win/win if you know your demand. Wont over-invest, per the initial capital.
heh there are so many old defunct GM/Ford plants, get some investors and open one up, start selling 5.0 bodies with modulars, theres no lack of skilled workers either, who im sure would work for half their rate.
Doesnt sound like half a bad idea.

I bet you could get Chinese investors out the ass if you had a legit business plan.
Who knows about all the licensing/permits required to be a 3rd party reproducing a major manufactureres old models.
Doubt its cheap, or possible. Unless you know the right people :] Or do it in China.

My cousin in Greece works for an international shipping firm. When we visited the port where the goods were unloaded, there were countless knockofss of designer clothes, chocolate, car accesiores, jewelery, etc... Half of them are made in the same plants the produce the oem outsourced crap anyway, so its pretty equal in quality...shitty.

Last edited:

Storm_jordan

Established Member
Imagine buying one of these brand new
1970_Dodge_Challenger_RT.jpg
:bowdown: :bowdown:

BigSweezey

<insert witty title here>
Established Member
But I'd seriously be willing to pay in the 25-30k range for a reproduction supra or termi.

That would be less than when they first came out tho. Which for probably what they would need to charge, you could have one built/restored/whatever for less. It would have to be something really limited maybe 1000 if that. Say ford decided to reproduce some old school muscle....like the original GT500.....they could charge a couple hundred thousand easy and someone would pay it. Hell I would if I had the cash.

There are atleast a few 03-04 cobra's with stupidly low miles still around. I'm sure there are a selection of old school muscle with really low miles around too.

Do I think it's a great idea....**** yeah.
Do I think it'll every happen....not a chance.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Heck with the newer stuff. You can still find plenty of untouched garage queens out there. Give me a new car from the 60's / 70's. I'd pay 30K for a new 69 RS / SS Vert with a 396.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
...but with todays emissions and saftey shit it'd never pass

+1. It wouldn't even be considered by any of the original/major manufacturers.

Do I think it's a great idea....**** yeah.
Do I think it'll every happen....not a chance.

+1 to that too.

I'd pay 30K for a new 69 RS / SS Vert with a 396.

I'd say double your figure, maybe even triple it, and you might have enough for a completely new, assembled, ready to go, '69 RS/SS 396 'vert. It'd make a nice down payment though.

Co-brat

FNG
Established Member
well uhh, there is a company named Dynacorn and they reproduce exact body shells of some classic cars like the 67-68 fastback and the 69 camaro. there were a bunch of rumors that they would start making cuda bodies, 66-67 nova bodies, and another one I cant remember.

heres a link check it out.
Replacement Body Shells - An American Muscle Car Restoration - Your Road Starts Here! Re

EDIT: well it appears that they now produce a 69 fastback body that I was unaware of. Fu(k I need to win the lottery. Rust repair and body work can suck my dick, id just build myself a brand new car.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread