Brembo's vs base brakes...

ArabianOak

Established Member
has there been any testing on the base brakes versus the brembo's on these cars? just wondering how big a difference there is between the two...

i have the non brembo brakes on my 12 GT and I think they are excellent.

BlackMamba3

Established Member
Not a huge difference. Like the post above, the Brembo's stopped a little sooner. The rotors are a little bit larger. Honestly, if you put some Hawk HPS pads on your base brakes, they'll stop even better than the Brembo's. The Brembo option isn't worth the money in my mind. Hince why I didn't go with it.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
The stopping distance from 60 is about 7 feet shorter with the brembo brakes. Most of that is due not to the larger brakes, but the stickier tires.

It's TIRES that stop a car, not the brakes. Where the brembo package shines is on track where repeatability is concerned. For a couple laps the base brake car will be on par, but as heat builds the brembo package has the ability to sink and consequently shed more head than the base brake system. It gives you longer duration runs and more sustainability without fade or fall-off of braking performance.

Additionally, the brembo package includes unique ESC tuning, the GT500 lower control arms, slightly stiffer springs and shocks valved to match.

the tires on the package alone, depend on the track would quite easily put the brembo car out front against a base brake car.

The brembo package certainly isn't for everybody, but if you're even considering tracking your car, it's a must have.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
would the brembo tires limit your ability to mount smaller drag tires(15x10) on the back or would they still clear with no issue?

Brembo package as with all 2005+ mustangs (excluding 6'ers) have the same rear brakes. Brembo cars do have different compound pads though.

So yes, you can still mount a drag wheel on the back of a brembo car.

However, If you were building a drag specific car I would not purchase the brembo kit. It adds rotational mass where you don't need it. The stiffer springs and shocks also won't be as good for the whole shot.

BlackMamba3

Established Member
In my opinion, Brembo's aren't a must for tracking. You could use the base brakes and upgrade the pads, lines, fluid and tires and be just fine. The FRPP brake duct cooling kit would help also. I plan on installing Wilwood front and rear kits for tracking. I'm just not sold on the Brembo package.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
In my opinion, Brembo's aren't a must for tracking. You could use the base brakes and upgrade the pads, lines, fluid and tires and be just fine. The FRPP brake duct cooling kit would help also. I plan on installing Wilwood front and rear kits for tracking. I'm just not sold on the Brembo package.

I think that depends on what type of tracking you are doing. If you're building a TT car, you're going to replace all of that anyway, so yes.

However you're talking about doing some items that cost a good bit of coin. The willwood kit at all 4 corners is going to eat up most of the cost of just the brembo package alone and you haven't even addressed tires, or suspension yet.

For somebody that does a couple track days a year, it doesn't make sense to have a track suspension under the car that 90% of the time doesn't see track time. In that circumstance, the brembo package makes perfect sense as you get all the bits you'd want for tracking in a cheap package that still remains livable on the street.

The brembo package is a huge bargain for what you get. Like I said, not suited for everybody's needs, but saying it's not worth the money is a little out there. Let Ford subsidize the costs for you. To put something similar or moderately better together will cost you well in excess of the brembo package's $1700.00 price tag.

I'd also politely disagree that the base brakes would be as good on track with a fluid and pad upgrade. From 60 to zero, and upgraded tires, sure they will stop as well. However the significantly large brembo rotor not only allows for greater fade resistance, but also provides a large boost in braking torque. You don't see results from this in simple 60 to zero tests. Those tests are for street cars. What you really need to look at is velocity reductions within a range of speeds, specifically those above 100 mph to below. Say 130 to 60ish. The increased brake torque plays a huge roll here.

Where you may be able to get the base brakes not to fade with some small upgrades, they'll never slow you as fast from those speeds. This translates directly to elapsed times. If everything was equal, the driver than can brake later will come out on top.

Last edited:

spc miller

Established Member
Brembo package as with all 2005+ mustangs (excluding 6'ers) have the same rear brakes. Brembo cars do have different compound pads though.

So yes, you can still mount a drag wheel on the back of a brembo car.

However, If you were building a drag specific car I would not purchase the brembo kit. It adds rotational mass where you don't need it. The stiffer springs and shocks also won't be as good for the whole shot.

thank you for the info. not exactly a drag car it will be a street car and DD jus as much as a track car. can you get a M6 with 3.73 without brembos?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
thank you for the info. not exactly a drag car it will be a street car and DD jus as much as a track car. can you get a M6 with 3.73 without brembos?

You should be able to. Probably something you'd have to order though, I don't see too many dealers stocking a car optioned like that.

hand-filer

Established Member
While the Brembo Package might not be everyone's cup of tea it is money well spent

The (55D) Brembo Brake Package includes the following:

Front: 14" Brembo® Vented Rotors with Brembo® 4-Piston Calipers
19 x 9.0-inch dark-stainless premium painted aluminum wheels
255/40R19 Pirelli PZero Summer-Only (Coupe) or P255/40ZR19 Goodyear F1 Supercar (Convertible)

Different Springs (131lbs Front / 167lbs Rear)
Different Struts/ Shocks (tuned for spring rates)
Unique Electronic Stability Control® (ESC) Tuning
Unique Sport Steering Control Setting (EPAS)

Last edited:

04sonicbeast

Established Member
I think the brembo pkg is a great deal compared to if you get a big brake kit off the shelf. I chose to get the pkg. Because of all the other upgrades that it includes like stated before.

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
The only intriguing part about the Brembo package is brakes that fill a bigger sized wheel and a set of the best looking stock wheels ford has put on a mustang since the 03/04 cobra IMO. Performance? Yea right. Take a hike if you think the package adds any sort of performance.

carrew

'01 Cobra Jet
Established Member
Larger rotors more rotating mass makes the car slower, so no brakes at all would be best.

BlackMamba3

Established Member
I think that depends on what type of tracking you are doing. If you're building a TT car, you're going to replace all of that anyway, so yes.

However you're talking about doing some items that cost a good bit of coin. The willwood kit at all 4 corners is going to eat up most of the cost of just the brembo package alone and you haven't even addressed tires, or suspension yet.

For somebody that does a couple track days a year, it doesn't make sense to have a track suspension under the car that 90% of the time doesn't see track time. In that circumstance, the brembo package makes perfect sense as you get all the bits you'd want for tracking in a cheap package that still remains livable on the street.

The brembo package is a huge bargain for what you get. Like I said, not suited for everybody's needs, but saying it's not worth the money is a little out there. Let Ford subsidize the costs for you. To put something similar or moderately better together will cost you well in excess of the brembo package's $1700.00 price tag.

I'd also politely disagree that the base brakes would be as good on track with a fluid and pad upgrade. From 60 to zero, and upgraded tires, sure they will stop as well. However the significantly large brembo rotor not only allows for greater fade resistance, but also provides a large boost in braking torque. You don't see results from this in simple 60 to zero tests. Those tests are for street cars. What you really need to look at is velocity reductions within a range of speeds, specifically those above 100 mph to below. Say 130 to 60ish. The increased brake torque plays a huge roll here.

Where you may be able to get the base brakes not to fade with some small upgrades, they'll never slow you as fast from those speeds. This translates directly to elapsed times. If everything was equal, the driver than can brake later will come out on top.

You have a couple good points man. Still, in my opinion, not what I'm looking for. I'm doing a full suspension and brake upgrade. I'm looking to get pretty serious into road racing once I'm done with everything.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
The only intriguing part about the Brembo package is brakes that fill a bigger sized wheel and a set of the best looking stock wheels ford has put on a mustang since the 03/04 cobra IMO. Performance? Yea right. Take a hike if you think the package adds any sort of performance.

Really? It's not a huge difference, but it's there. It has already been explained here so I'm not sure what is left to discuss.

The tires alone are significantly better than the other tires available from the factory. And that's some sort of performance, isn't it?

The package adds a small amount of handling performance and cosmetic improvement. Of all of the options for the 11-12 Mustangs, it is one of the better bang-for-buck choices available.

It's not for everyone, and it's not something that can't be achieved with aftermarket purchases, but it is well-priced for what you get.

PhantomX

Established Member
Having driven my car (brembo) and a couple non brembo cars I would have to say that I would absolutely take that package (for the price) for all the upgrades you get. The feel of those is so much better and the stockers fade quickly as soon as you get some heat in them. Even in just day to day driving they perform so much better. All my prior mustangs have had awful brakes. They fade fast, warp easy and generally suck. A couple passes at the strip and they were warped on the stock stuff. These though have been really good. The stockers are just a 2 pot system as well if I remember right, so a 4 pot system will always be much better overall. Larger rotors, better pads, for DD it's just the way to go.

Of course if your gonna rip it all out anyway no point in spending the coin there but for a DD or occasional track car it's great. Should have come that way from the factory, lots of HP and shit brakes is something Ford is famous for. I've had to upgrade everyone I've had and just changing rotors/pads/fluid still didn't feel or stop as good as these brembo's do.

Just my .02...

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
I have a 2011 V6 in Germany (as well as an 03 cobra) with Brembos. I drive on the autobahn daily and usually always reach 100-120 MPH legally. So I must say I have driven both cars with stock brakes and there is no comparison between the two systems when a bit of heat gets into the system from a few hard stops. If I had stock brakes on either car and tried to brake or slow down in the same situation as with the Brembos I more than likely will not be here typing this message. No joking around here. It is that much of a difference. No need to run out and get Brembos or other kits...just drive within your car's capabilities (and admire the braking hardware on my V6).

DSC_0019.jpg

grnenvy

Established Member
Yes

Your 100% right. I have the standard braking system on my conv auto and there toast already. After a hard couple stops from 100 or so and there junk. I have already upgraded my rear rotors Baer 14in. The front are the most important and alot of money but there next.
Look at all the Big Dollar imports there rear rotors are bigger then the 14in front Brembo as an option on our cars. Even the Brembos are weak!
The best option u can do if u already have brembos is a duct kit to keep them cool.

I have a 2011 V6 in Germany (as well as an 03 cobra) with Brembos. I drive on the autobahn daily and usually always reach 100-120 MPH legally. So I must say I have driven both cars with stock brakes and there is no comparison between the two systems when a bit of heat gets into the system from a few hard stops. If I had stock brakes on either car and tried to brake or slow down in the same situation as with the Brembos I more than likely will not be here typing this message. No joking around here. It is that much of a difference. No need to run out and get Brembos or other kits...just drive within your car's capabilities (and admire the braking hardware on my V6).

DSC_0019.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread